I Can See The World - Taking Photography To New Heights

M-i-t-c-h

Not impressed Mitch. In fact I'm very annoyed as your website has crashed my system twice!

Very very poor web design (Please take this as constructive criticism though!)

"Warning: Possibility of slow loading times on some internet connections, we apologise for any inconvience."

Seeing as each image is a massive 800kb in size I expect most people are going to experience slow loading times! I didn't even manage to load the whole Friday page to count how many images were on it, but lets say there is 50 images for Friday night that means I'm having to download ~40mb of data! This will be raping your server and also makes it impossible to view your website easily!

You need to use thumb nails and reasonable sized 'sample' images that open up in a new window when you click the thumb nail!

I think you should change the image at the top of the home-page, the one of the van + equipment? It's just really dark, and not a sort of bright, nice, interesting looking picture? I think an example photo or just a brighter photo of your setup might be better? Just sorta doesn't fit in with the rest of the colours of the page, IMO.

EDIT: Think I saw it somewhere else here too, but yeah, that UK.gif in the Branches page is 2.4Mb, just for a photo that loads and doesn't really do anything? Waited for it to open and was a bit disappointed when it did nothing.

Also, maybe change the logo in the top left? Just looks a bit cheap compared with the rest of the site. The use of text + images in every available space just kinda makes it look like it's just a really basic template from Rapidweaver or something too - maybe thin it out a bit?

I'd agree with what mark said.

Just thought I'd have a quick look, IMO I'd change the font on the menu to be the same as the one in the main text - or the other way around, just for continuity.

Also this made me look twice, couldn't figure out what it was for a while

"We encorporate real cutting edge technology"

For a start encorporate is spelled wrong which I didn't notice until I pasted it here, secondly - 'real' cutting edge technology? As opposed to fake cutting edge technology? Cutting edge technology alone is impressive enough, real or fake ^_^

EDIT: gallery page - should have a loading bar really, they may load quickly for you as you will probably have them cached, but for a new user they take a couple of seconds to show up, and probably about a minute on dial up.

Cheers everybody,

Tic im sorry mate just had to get them online they were compressed the day after so everything is tickity boo now!

Onzaboymark, cheers for the feedback i have made the image brighter and now have different pictures on differnet pages.

and in response to Tomturd, people do actually claim they use "cutting edge technology" when they dont (useless you class a 4 year old olympus compact camera and a fishing pole cutting edge), i guess i was just trying to make it stand out a little bit more, but i do see the paradox haha, also what does IMO mean?

Edited by M-i-t-c-h

It wasn't so much I meant that the photo was dark and needed to be lightened in PS, I just meant that overall, there's a lot of black/shadow/darker tones in the image, so it doesn't really seem to work with the background of the page. Lightening it in PS is a bit better I guess, but now it kinda looks a bit over-exposed, but still kinda 'cumbersome' almost?

and in response to Tomturd, people do actually claim they use "cutting edge technology" when they dont (useless you class a 4 year old olympus compact camera and a fishing pole cutting edge), i guess i was just trying to make it stand out a little bit more, but i do see the paradox haha, also what does IMO mean?

It means in my opinion, shouldn't really use text talk ahem :$

How about bleeding edge technology? Maybe too geeky :P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
new home page!

introduction of the caffeine themed integrated marketing campaign.

feedback?

I like coffee beans, they say "tasty, aromatic, workaholic"

The coffee cup makes me drool.

....but too much coffee is bad.

The static images look wonderful, clean and fresh

The flash component is caffeine O.D.

The proximity detection on the individual beans is clunky,

most probably because of the individual images are numerous and 10k each.

The action scripting looks typical of a flash experiment found on flashkit,

perhaps increasing the proximity variable would shift the beans quicker

so it wouldn't take 5 minutes to reveal the caption but why bother?

The caption might as well read "anti-climax".

With flash novelties you have to ask one question... "Why?"

Is this flash design based on a bit of script you've had knocking around

and thought you'd use it for something clever?

You thought maybe you'd slip it in to liven up the page?

The site has plenty of amazing images and beautiful clean design principles.

Again... "Why?" why the flash gimick?

I know "Why?"

It's called "Flashterbation".... so stop playing with it!

Loose the flash, the site is better off without it....

Are the coffee beans flavour of the month?

What's next month? Oranges? Limes? Autumn leaves?

..... you've obviously got carried away on a caffiene rush.

Edited by sparetyre

I don't really get the coffee thing. What's coffee / caffeine got anything to do with aireal photography?

You're up early/late!... you don't need coffee!

They say cheap coffee is made up of the sweepings from the coffee factory floor,

did you used the "sweepings" from this?

http://www.clockworxdesign.com/flash.html

why the flash car game?

Was this monstrosity your work?

If so I hope you didn't waste too many lunch breaks developing this!

i feel a caffeine induced migraine approaching.

http://www.icanphotography.co.uk/

etc....

have you produced any sites without the coffee theme?

Edited by sparetyre

I dont get the coffee thing

Right, first of all to clear up the coffee to do with aerial photography thing. My mum rescues battery chickens and I make a light hearted thing about a chicken be the head of corporate hospitality and i send free range eggs to clients with there images (sounds a bit weird but it really works, they loved it) Iv been doing that for a year now its time for a change + im working now solely with national companies so posting eggs is abit risky. Everyone in the business world loves coffee and it ties in with our images having a little extra kick, and who doesnt want a nice bag of fair trade coffee?.

http://www.icanphotography.co.uk/

have you produced any sites without the coffee theme?

Iv been testing on there for a while now and seeing how the coffee gift idea is received by my clients, make sure it was a success before i dived in and did it on my primary company.

It will be changed soon.

They say cheap coffee is made up of the sweepings from the coffee factory floor,

did you used the "sweepings" from this?

one of the gentleman that runs clockworx suggested i sent coffee. he help me develop the flash piece.

The action scripting looks typical of a flash experiment found on flashkit,

Sparetyre have you seen the script? or have you just downloaded the ad and opened it in a flash ripper because if you actually look at the script you will find that it used a separate .as page to control the ad. The script was put together by professionals, i understand actionscript but there are parts of the script that i don't fully understand so i don't even know how you could have read it.

individual images are numerous and 10k each.

Yer and the whole ad including over 30 of those "10k" images weighs in at 48k, do you know why that is? or do you just think your clever.

i feel a caffeine induced migraine approaching.

Your moronic ill informed comments, and your website gave me a migraine.

I genuinely like getting critique and criticism, but from you i just cant take it seriously because your work is so poor.

sorry if this has upset u,

though i have some valid points.

it wasn't all negative criticism, your design has clarity and purpose

but the flash bit looks whack.

nothing personal honestly

its just things like the game on

is just a blatant rip and looks cheap.

why do that??

surely you're better than that?

never mind the ufo site... JMack was on the money... piss take, obviously.

random post full of rubbish...

Website advice.... really???

I don't do websites, I dont have the time or the patience to learn, and I have better things to do with my time. However I know what people like to see (lets face it, I'm part of "people") and its important a site is clean, easy on the eye, nice to navigate and generally looks like a professionally designed site. For me it ticks all the relevent boxes of what a flash orientated site should be.

If you don't understand "why" someone has chosen their desired concept, how can you possibly criticise on that? Mitch has a reason for the coffee theme, just like I'm sure you had some acid induced concept for your "alien digesting a cow" site.

I'm not going to go on about it, as like I say, I don't do the ins and outs of websites and flash and all that jazz. Mitch has worked for me in the past, and with a clean and professional site, I'm won't hesitate to use him again.