The Design Thread

GlynnP

Hope this works umm ye got board an this is the kind of shit we are doing at school so yer just found a pic and did it

any tips on doing something like this cause i've got a really nice pic i'd like to do what programme will i need presumably photoshop

Im not a huge fan of vactor work (tracings at least) I think anyone with patients can do one, however...

Definatly worth checking out vektoria pdf magazines if you haven't already

http://www.vektorjunkie.com/vektorika/vektorika9.pdf

Thanks for that, quite inspiring to get better in illustrator for me :)

Had a live brief today, 3 hours to do it in.

Had to choose an art/design movement or practitioner, in the style of, produce a self portrait using Photoshop and or Illustrator.

This is what I came up with, looking at Shepard Fairy as the practitioner.

post-4136-1198084101_thumb.jpg

I used the Mac webcam for the pic.

• 3 weeks later...

There's no tips I could give, just play around. Maybe get someone elses designs, take bits you like, try and copy it but add your own flare to it.

Search Google Images for stuff like "pink swirls" or "blue dots" and just copy and paste, add effects and just mess about...

Hard to give tips anyway as I'm not great, but I like messing about making wallpapers :)

Had a live brief today, 3 hours to do it in.

Had to choose an art/design movement or practitioner, in the style of, produce a self portrait using Photoshop and or Illustrator.

This is what I came up with, looking at Shepard Fairy as the practitioner.

post-4136-1198084101_thumb.jpg

I used the Mac webcam for the pic.

Looks awesome :) What kind of methods did you use for the actual portrait part?

Did you see Shepard Fairey's exhibition at Stolen Space aswell? Some awesome stuff there.

Plan to make this next year sometime over the summer.

Newframe.jpg

Looks interesting.

One point I would like to make, which isn't necessarily a criticism, more something to consider would be with the upper part of the seat stay. To me the design looks like it would be very susceptible to each of the plates buckling under high load as they are offset to the forces transfered to them from the lower part of the seat stay. Simply looking at the design won't tell anyone whether the part would withstand the forces, but I would certainly confirm (testing or simulation) if they are up to the job. They also look like they would be machined from solid which would be very costly to do.

Keep it up though, innovation doesn't always come easily and ideas like this are needed to help progress the sport and the equipment available.

At this very moment im trying to figure out some values with which to test the model. The thing with the stays is you have to remember that there will be a magura clamped in the middle which will mean that the area that could buckle is about halved making it a fair bit stiffer. If the model fails can allways add a bit of ribbing anyway :P theres plenty of room.

4804112.JPG

Indeed the idea was borrowed from the hofmann guys. I feel that their frames are somewhat limited and this is my solution which I may start building next summer if I get the workshop free.

Quite right. One final question (which could also be answered by Tarty). If some one was to make/put a vee adapter on that design, one of those plate would become less rigid (assuming they don't find a way of tying the two together in the same fashion as the mag mount). Would the frame be liable to break then?

In a commercial sense (more for you Tarty), if that scenario was to occur and the frame broke in under a year, where would the customer stand? It certainly seems like either the frame must be used with those specific mounts at ALL times, or the design has been verified to cope with the loads without the added stiffness the mounts provide....

Just being curious :)

Quite right. One final question (which could also be answered by Tarty). If some one was to make/put a vee adapter on that design, one of those plate would become less rigid (assuming they don't find a way of tying the two together in the same fashion as the mag mount). Would the frame be liable to break then?

In a commercial sense (more for you Tarty), if that scenario was to occur and the frame broke in under a year, where would the customer stand? It certainly seems like either the frame must be used with those specific mounts at ALL times, or the design has been verified to cope with the loads without the added stiffness the mounts provide....

Just being curious :)

Hadn't thought of the vee but could actually put a block into the clamp area and have it running throught to an adaptor on top or below, just have to get the offset right and imagine it would be strong enough.

Hadn't thought of the vee but could actually put a block into the clamp area and have it running throught to an adaptor on top or below, just have to get the offset right and imagine it would be strong enough.

Yeah that would do the job. I think more concern would be for the guy that does a diy kit without considering this.