The Design Thread

GlynnP

To be perfectly honest if you didn't realise it would kill the frame you don't deserve to have a bike at all.

I don't really agree with that. We all do things that might customize a product (bike, car, pc etc) without fully understanding the consequences. The responsibility lies with the designer to consider what potential customers are likely to do with their product and either state explicitly that it should not be done or ensure the design can withstand a reasonable amount of misuse. In my experience with the products I deal with, misuse is pretty rife so we need to ensure that we can withstand enough to prevent us from getting a bad name against our competitor while at the same time making sure the customer is aware of what actions will invalidate his/her warranty.

Nevertheless this isn't really the thread to argue about something like this and I do actually like the idea behind the design (though it may not seem like it). I just like to see that people are actually considering all possibilities in their designs and not just putting up a cad model for the sake of it (which you certainly aren't) :)

Well I must admit I haven't thought a great deal on that as of yet because its still just an idea and I might never make them.

I'd imagine that when its all tested I could then comment on it's actual strength and if misuse could infact destroy the stays.

not read the topic properly yet, but can anybody give me links to a decent forum or website that does stuff simelar to urban mamoth, i love that stuff but have no idea how to do any of it, but id love to learn

1st time doing vectors:D

dont look at it in fullsize lol

the face is shite, i couldnt do it lol

post-1997-1200694455_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davetrials

Did a 3ds max module at uni last semester,

Sandwich toaster concept:

print2.jpg

And a shaver too:

12.jpg

The modelling was done in pro engineer, rendering done in max.

ivce never understood toastie makers, people have a fad with them for like 2 weeks every year, the outcome is a sweaty pretty rank sandwich with some hot ham and toasted cheese, haha