:(:( Cracked My Frame, Don't No What To Do :(

smoke257

Well after a stupid accident involving a pole and me getting pritty hurt, i put a big dent in frame the other day, didnt rly look at it much as i was so pissed of, but after inspecting it today i found its cracked : now i dnt realy no much about cracks but im pritty sure its screwd :( Oh yea its a koxx levelboss, rest of the frame is mint, just this bit..

Got the pics below, but i duno what to do, i dnt think its all the way trough the metal, and was hoping it was just the surface that has cracked but i dout it.. :( I was in the middle of swapping it with some 1, but after finding the crack i obviously cant do that. :( I realy cant afford to buy a new frame as i realy need to save for a car and have spent way to much on my bikes recently.

You think the whole bikes gona snap?

Ne chance of being able to weld it? (although i no of absolutly no 1 that welds round here)

Im gussing theres no chance of selling it for anything near a decent price eva :(

post-14362-1199214154_thumb.jpg

Ne idears on what i should do?

Welding it is your only option really...

But as its a levelboss and they ALL crack, its probably one for the knackers yard.

Mine never cracked and its an 04.

Yeah your best bet is to get it welded, I'm sure there must be somewhere that welds around your area, look around local industrial estates. I think you can get some sort of support strap that goes around the frame, like TRA had on his coust.

bummer unlucky mate. If I was you I'd drill the ends of the crack to help stop it from spreading. I don't think its worth getting it welded because thats just going to weaken it unless you get it heat treated aswell. So thats the best advice I can offer get a nice sharp drill bit and go to town drilling the crack out.

Just Buy A new frame mate , its not worth all the fuss getting it welded up when it wont be as stable as it use to be , and to be honest you woulnt want to injur yourself by doing a big drop off or something and the frame snapping on you.

Just Buy A new frame mate , its not worth all the fuss getting it welded up when it wont be as stable as it use to be , and to be honest you woulnt want to injur yourself by doing a big drop off or something and the frame snapping on you.

who in their right mind would do a big drop on a frame they know has a beast of a crack???????????????

Limey%20Snap(1).jpg

:$

hehe

Friend of mine had a mod levelboss, the crack did last a long time to be fair, and then at a demo he was doing 4 foot drops to back wheel, then slamming the front down as hard as poss :P until finally it went

You wont believe how thin it is on the inside :o

Drilling the crack might save the crack from propagating for a little while but you will have more problems with those dents. The edges of the dents are now acting as stress raisers and new cracks will form. Frame makers sometimes have tools which can work dings out but that frame looks about ready for the bin.

bummer unlucky mate. If I was you I'd drill the ends of the crack to help stop it from spreading. I don't think its worth getting it welded because thats just going to weaken it unless you get it heat treated aswell. So thats the best advice I can offer get a nice sharp drill bit and go to town drilling the crack out.

I would do that if I was you and just keep an eye on it.

Just ride it untill you have enough funds for a new frame

To be honest there's not much you can do apart from drill it at either end, and check on it every now and then!

Don't bother with trying to weld it up, it's a waste of time

Drill the holes and try to find someone that can TIG(GTAW) weld it.

You may have to take a Dremel and cut it up to 1mm to be able to weld it good.

I think it looks easy done but then I'm currently studying welding.

If you should get it welded dont grind the weld down to get it smooth because you cant get the aluminium clean on the inside and then it will not melt together on the inside and make a little ditch.

Hey, thanks for all your replys :D i have decided to do as the person above has advised, and am going to drill at either end of the crack, then i have a family freind that can tig weld, And has offerd to do that for me :)

Then i will just keep riding it untill eva it snaps, or i can afford to get a new frame :D

Hey, thanks for all your replys :D i have decided to do as the person above has advised, and am going to drill at either end of the crack, then i have a family freind that can tig weld, And has offerd to do that for me :)

Then i will just keep riding it untill eva it snaps, or i can afford to get a new frame :D

get a cheap frame off here. you can get something half decent for under 100quid. and if you get a deng frame it should last a lot longer than the koxx.