! Spokes ! N ! Nipples !

Curly-Sam

I have been wondering for quite a while now what is stronger ...

Black Spokes or normail Spokes ?

I have used both before and i can not tell the differnce which is the stronger out off the two !

has any of you had any problems with any type off spoke ?

And also ...

I now have also seen that they have brought out coloured nipples aswell ...

And didnt know if the anodise made them weaker than normal ?

If people could help me on this due to building a set of wheels, and i would like a strong set of wheels for my bike

rite

I think your talking about the 2 types of spokes on tarty ? if you are im pretty sure there the same just different colour options, and im running red anodized nipples in my front wheel and there fine , havent rounded one yet (Y)

rite

I think your talking about the 2 types of spokes on tarty ? if you are im pretty sure there the same just different colour options, and im running red anodized nipples in my front wheel and there fine , havent rounded one yet (Y)

ok thanks mate

and i was not on about tartybikes, but thats for the idea.

i started this topic because my local bike shop asked these questions on coloured nipples and coloured spokes.

thanks any way

You won't be able to tell the difference.

Someone will pipe up about anodizing and go to great lengths explaining about loss/gain of particles and shit.

But it'll make no discernable difference at all.

As for spokes, just go with the standard Sapim ones that Tart sends you.

im running red anodized nipples in my front wheel and there fine , havent rounded one yet (Y)

same here ,my front nipples are all fine,but at least half my back ones are rounded or sheared accross,i highly reccommend not having these alloy nipples on the back wheel if you true your wheels alot.

:giggle:

Can you get Deng nipples yet? With the name etched in? They will come....

i dont think he was making fun of you mate,just deng products ^_^

steve

same here ,my front nipples are all fine,but at least half my back ones are rounded or sheared accross,i highly reccommend not having these alloy nipples on the back wheel if you true your wheels alot.

i dont think he was making fun of you mate,just deng products ^_^

steve

The little giggle was for the bike shop asking him questions...It may be a normal thing, but it just seems odd to me. Like, you don't get garage employees\mechanics asking you about different car parts etc.

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

I have been wondering for quite a while now what is stronger ...

Black Spokes or normail Spokes ?

I have used both before and i can not tell the differnce which is the stronger out off the two !

has any of you had any problems with any type off spoke ?

Some people say that black spokes have less material to them as spoke manufacturers make them slightly thinner to compensate for the paint. I personally believe that is complete shite and that any pattern showing unpainted spokes to be stronger is purely coincidental.

Your own personal experience shows that there is no discernible difference between the two other than the thin layer of paint on the black spokes.

And also ...

I now have also seen that they have brought out coloured nipples aswell ...

And didnt know if the anodise made them weaker than normal ?

If people could help me on this due to building a set of wheels, and i would like a strong set of wheels for my bike

The coloured nipples are made of alluminium alloy, therefore they are weaker but as stated on tartybikes' website, 70% lighter than standard BRASS nipples. The reason you don't get anodised brass nipples is that you CAN'T anodise that metal (economically anyway). However aluminium alloy is easily annodised hence the coloured nipples which are now available.

So remember:

Brass nipples

• Generally silver (although I believe there are some painted ones available)
  • Stronger than alloy
  • More common
  • Less likely to round off

Alloy nipples

• Can be anodised
  • 30% of the weight of brass nipples
  • More prone to rounding due to alloy's softer properties
  • Best used for front wheels where they aren't adjusted as often

anodising will harden them and will probably cause them to become more brittle, but to be honest, nipples dont matter at all, just buy a few spares

Anodising will only harden the surface of the nipples, I doubt it will make a huge difference to the overall strength of the nipple however it will increase it's resistance to rounding off.

Edited by Shaun H

Some people say that black spokes have less material to them as spoke manufacturers make them slightly thinner to compensate for the paint. I personally believe that is complete shite and that any pattern showing unpainted spokes to be stronger is purely coincidental.

Your own personal experience shows that there is no discernible difference between the two other than the thin layer of paint on the black spokes.

The coloured nipples are made of alluminium alloy, therefore they are weaker but as stated on tartybikes' website, 70% lighter than standard BRASS nipples. The reason you don't get anodised brass nipples is that you CAN'T anodise that metal (economically anyway). However aluminium alloy is easily annodised hence the coloured nipples which are now available.

So remember:

• Brass nipples
  • Generally silver (although I believe there are some painted ones available)
  • Stronger than alloy
  • More common
  • Less likely to round off

Alloy nipples

• Can be anodised
  • 30% of the weight of brass nipples
  • More prone to rounding due to alloy's softer properties
  • Best used for front wheels where they aren't adjusted as often

Anodising will only harden the surface of the nipples, I doubt it will make a huge difference to the overall strength of the nipple however it will increase it's resistance to rounding off.

thanks for the post and i thank you for the help you guys have gave me