Where Do I Stand?

RossMcd

Hi Ross,

Worry not :) I'm sure we can get your brake set-up working without have to splash out any more money. I don't want a single rider to be disappointed!

Of course, if anyone has a problem like a pad falling out a backing, it's instant email Steve@heatsinkbikes.com time! Otherwise, TF is great for pad set-up advice, and if that still doesn't yield results then I am happy to help. There will be a solution out there (Y)

It does seem most likely that there is something about the set-up. If you put new pads in to replace a set-up that was working, then the 2nd set may not be as square as the previous ones.

Sorry to cast doubt over your set-up, but these red pads are pretty darn grippy when they arrive with riders, but if the rim has accumulated some greasy residue, or the pads aren't hitting straight then things aren't going to work as they should.

Could you pop up some photos of your set-up? Maybe some local riders can give their 2nd opinion?

Steve

I really dont want to sound like a moaner here but mine are so crap, all of the norwich riders will back me up on this as well.

Heres a picture of the setup.

post-11969-1200330059_thumb.jpg

The only thing i can think of is that i didnt use any glue when i put them in the backings :blink: will that make any difference?

They really have no hold or bite and ive had them for about 3 weeks now and even tryed a fresh medium grind but no joy :(

Would the best bet be to glue the pad to the backings then try again?

Thanks and sorry to steel your thread abit.

Ryan - Are you sure your bleed is still good? I was having a similar issue this evening, set up was good, new pads, fresh grind and nothing. A quick re-bleed sorted it right out.

Yeah gave it a re-bleed the day i ground it as well :( i know the bleed it good as the pads move the very second i even touch the leaver and its solid as an oxx.

Ross they did seem to hold pretty well earlier on... :P just ride your zona for now! ^_^

they werent holding that great lol.

i wasnt trying anything thats why. the brake only sounded like it was holding but it wasnt.

here are some pics for the people! I used the macro mode on my phone so it shound be semi desent

post-14325-1200347383_thumb.jpg

post-14325-1200347441_thumb.jpg

post-14325-1200347511_thumb.jpg

I really dont want to sound like a moaner here but mine are so crap, all of the norwich riders will back me up on this as well.

Heres a picture of the setup.

post-11969-1200330059_thumb.jpg

The only thing i can think of is that i didnt use any glue when i put them in the backings :blink: will that make any difference?

They really have no hold or bite and ive had them for about 3 weeks now and even tryed a fresh medium grind but no joy :(

Would the best bet be to glue the pad to the backings then try again?

Thanks and sorry to steel your thread abit.

If that frames a phyton get a booster!

Hi Ross,

Any photos of the braking surface? The inside looks to have got some black greasy gunk in there. Are the braking faces similar? How grippy do they feel? I've got a varnished table next to my PC here where I package up pads. The reds are very stubborn about not wanting to slide along this with only light vertical pressure. If you're not getting a similar sort of grip, and the surface is looking contaminated with gunk, then we're starting to work out what's happening (Y)

Hi Ryan,

Could you check out the brake pad surface in a similar way? If you have a smooth and flat surface like the side of an kitchen appliance, are the pads gripping? What does the braking surface look like? The pads go out degreased and very grippy, but of course it's possible for any pads to get covered in greasy grime. I wonder where it all comes from!

If the pad braking surface has been contaminated, then give it a go with a brio pad and a house hold cleaner followed by washing off any residue with water and kitchen roll. The rims would be needing a clean too.

By a course of elimination I'm sure we can get your set-ups working (Y) Your pads are exactly the same batch as the ones I'm running on my own bike which has the deadest of grinds on it. Crazy grip with little effort and very noisy. Last ground in 2005! I personally check all pads as I'm packaging them up to be sure they all feel right. Of course, if you still don't get any joy then just pop them back in the post for me to inspect and sort out for you (Y)

Steve

the surface on my pads are clean but the pad slides across my table and i can feel it is wanting to take a grip but isnt lol

EDIT: pic of brake surface, sorry about quality

post-14325-1200349931_thumb.jpg

Any chance of a better photo? You're welcome to pop them back in the post to me if you're feeling you've run out of energy getting to the bottom of it (Y) I can inspect, reglue, basically revitalise the pads, although if it's something about the set-up then whatever pads you use won't perform to your full expectations. Keep going, we'll get there!

Steve

I accidentally found out that a vee pad hitting the rim square flat probably is not the most powerful setup I can get.

Now one of my pads is set at a slight angle. My thought process is that every material more or less flexes under force. When you pull brake lever, the applied force make your frame/brake arms/bolts/pads flex. On the other hand, there is another force coming from the spinning wheel (different when it spins forwards and different backwards) and when it contacts the pad, it creates another flex. So the final braking force is not distributed uniformly over the pad surface (like we would wish it to be).

I think that for the best braking results (both forwards and backwards) one pad should be setup at some positive angle (lets assume it's 5 degrees) and the other at negative angle (minus 5 degrees). I mean the horizontal angle (over the pad's lenght, hope you understand). Vertically it should be hitting the rim square flat.

This conclusion comes from my over 1 year experience with a rear vee (now ultimate/coustvee/booster/smooth rim/tar).

I managed once to get a perfectly square pad setup - it had an instant bite but poor hold. Now I have an instant bite thanks to the tar and a good hold due to the pads setup.

Edited by zordon