The Recommend A Book Thread

Mr Plod

I have read a few decent war books but i can't recall the titles for some reason... I think one of them was Pegasus Bridge which was good read if a little short.

Yup, they are books by Stephen E. Ambrose and the pegasus bridge one is the shortest, i've read D-Day (IMO the best one), Pegasus Bridge, Citizen Soldiers and Band of Brothers which is what the series was based on. All great informative books on WWII if youre into that kind of thing!

'Bravo Two Zero' by Andy Mcnab

'The One That Got Away' Chris Ryan.

Both true stories about the SAS patrol that was intercepted in the first Gulf War, proper interesting read if you like those sort of books. And I rate Andy Mcnab over Chris Ryan with his other books.

Both 'true' yet different :lol:

Dark Winter by Andy McNab, fantastic book, but they're all worth reading and you may as well do it in order.

The Bourne trilogy, much better than the films.

The hostage by Duncan Falconer

Also General Sir Peter De La Billieres books are a damn good read, he was the commander of the uk forces in the gulf war.

Frederick Forsyth is also very good.

I myself would like to read more but always just end up on the computer, either that, or I can't find a decent book, so I end up reading like the first 80 or so pages and giving up after finding it boring.

One book I did read in the summer which I enjoyed was "Band of Eagles" by Frank Barnard - its about fighter pilots in WWII.

Edited by Jules

Papillon by Henri Charriere.

I was recommended this by my brother, and while it was good enough for me to pick up and read within a week, I thought the story lacked flow and was particularly repetitive regarding some elements of the story. In the end I sort of lost count of how many prisons he broke out of.

I never remember authors but i'm sure you can just plug them into google :)

If nobody speaks of amazing things:

Really awesome book, quite poetic at times. Two stories running along side each other the first being something that happened on a street when the characters were younger and the second showing the effects this has on their adulthood kinda thing.

Street Sketchbook

One for anyone interested in art/illustration/street art. Basically a look inside the sketchbooks of loads of artists who are all street artists or who take influences from street art. Some amazing stuff.

We Need to Talk about Keven

Letters from a mother to a long lost father type thing about their f**ked up son.

Urban Grimshaw and the Shed Crew

About a little druggie kid (who actually has quite a good heart) and his gang and a social worker that befriends them and helps them out.

I love all the Chris Ryan books. I read most of them in about 2-3 days per book. Totally gripping and one of those that you just dont want to put down!

Also some of you have mentioned 'the one that got away' by Chris Ryan and 'Bravo Two Zero' by Andy McNab, but there is another version of that mission by bravo two zero team member Mike Coburn and the book is 'soldier five'. It claims to set the record straight about all the doubts of the other two books.

Edited by trials rules

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bit of a bump but i'm in need of something to read that will take my mind off my workload. I'm looking for something similar to Orwell's 1984 or Aldous Huxley's A Brave New World, anything with a Utopia/Dystopia style really. Maybe someone knows some decent ones, save me from reading a load of tripe.

Cheers

I too would like a book, if you could recomend me somthing so far I have enjoyed:

LOTR trilogy, Clarksons books, the hobbit (yes, I like tolkien alot) ermm, basically I quit reading literature when i was about 14, but recently Im really craving it...

This doesn't really fit in anywhere else, but yeah, got given the box-set of all the original, as-they-were Penguin edition James Bond stories. It's amazing - properly old school, not edited at all, so it's got stuff like James Bond calling Mr. Big "a bloody great nigger" and stuff like that. One of the chapters was called "Nigger heaven", haha. But yeah, they're fun to read, have a sort of 'raw' feel to them compared to the modern versions.

Anyway, in terms of books to read, Fight Club (the book version) is a really interesting read. Just done in an interesting style, and is a real page turner, so to speak.

laughing about the un politically correct terms ive been reading a bit of Hemmingway and its exactly the same, adds humour to the book though with out meaning too, guess they were just victims of their times and it was the norm.

Catch-22 and the Illuminatus Trilogy for fictional satire.

Prometheus Rising and Quantum Psychology (both by Robert Anton Wilson) for introductory books on mind expansion - the beginnings of becoming who you are.

I am a nerd/geek and proud.

Is the catch 22 the comical war book? ive seen the film which was pretty good if it was based on the book

"the catcher In the rye" by J.D. Salinger

"fear and loathing in las vegas" by hunter s thompson

"educating peter" by Tom Cox

"señor vivo and the coca lord" by Luis De Bernieres

"one flew over the cuckoo's nest" by Ken Kesey

"brighton rock", "monsignor quixote" and "gun for sale" by Graham Green

"to kill a mocking bird" by Harper Lee

"Fight Club" by CHuck Palahniuk

"of mice and men" by John Steinbeck

if you haven't already read these already, they´re all excellent reads, and i consider some of them to be books that everybody should have read more than once.

Again is brighton rock the novel the film was based around? really like the film had david attenboroughs brother as the main role.

Suprised people class Catcher in the Rye a good story :S I just found it boring.

Bravo Two Zero - good book!

Of Mice and Men...unfortunately GCSE English put me off this :P

Think catcher and the rye is probably most famous cause of the whole mark chapman affair, thats the reason it intruiged me anyway.