Sponge

The scammer is trying to get your paypal log in details by diverting you to a site with a similar name.

Good to hear that you didn't get duped!

Steve

^so i got this strange email just now. I don't use PayPal personally, but my parents do for their ebay. I find this really weird as I haven't used paypal myself for several years (I had one paypal account assigned next to my old Ebay ID... but I havent used it for ages and the card number is probably long expired)....

What do you reckon this is? Aren't PayPal not meant to send random emails like this... like part of their policy or something? Just got me wondering incase some arsehole decided to hack into one of my parents' ebay and use their paypal..

I'm getting the impression this is some dodgy fake email designed to look like a Paypal one... and there is a link at the DISPUTE TRANSACTION bit which takes you straight to the paypal website.. I'm getting the idea that it wants you to log in and 'accidentally' somehow confirm that false payment (whilst tricking you into thiknking you 'disputed' it).

Any ideas?

Click the link but don't log in. DON@T LOG IN!!

And copy and paste the link. What they do is to copy the PayPal site but edit it a bit so that your username and password are sent straight to them, then they max your account.

yea, basically the idea is they send you email saying youve bought something you havent off them (paypal), if you havent bought this item, please log in to cancel the payment.

so you think "hey paypal have just stopped me being scammed, ill log in and cancel the paypal"

you click onto the link, to cancel the payment, sign in, but its not really paypal. its a site set up to look like it, so youve just given the site, your password and username, so they can then actually scam you as they got your paypal account details.

Read the address of the link, it will say something other than paypal.co.uk in the address.

Paypal will never, ever contact you with a link to your account, they will ask you to go to paypal.co.uk and log in I believe.

All legitimate emails from paypal will be addressed personally to you, for example one to me would say -

"Dear Andrew Ponting..." etc

rather than

"Dear Customer/Dear User/ Dear Paypal Member"

Its the easiest way to spot one, Well done for not getting caught out!

Andy P

emails like this make me laugh, apparently I won a BMW and $850,000 today, go me!

BMW Online Promotion‏

You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as unsafe

Sent: 10 March 2008 04:16:56

Reply-to: bmwautoclaimsunit@live.com

To:

The BMW Group UK.Ref: BMW/2551256003/23

Dear Lucky Winner,

We are happy to announce that you are a lucky winner of the BMWInternational Awareness Promotion. This makes you a proud owner of abrand new BMW 5 Series, M Sport Saloon car and a cash of$850,000.00 (Eight Hundred and Fifty Thousand United States Dollars).The car comes with a special BMW Insurance Cover for one year and a oneyear warranty and FREE repairs at any BMW Automobile depot or servicestation worldwide. For you to collect your prize, kindly contact Dr.Alexander Ford through email stating your receipt of this notification.When sending an email to him, you are to send the followinginformation which would enable him process your prize.

Reference Number: BMW/2551256003/23

Prize Attached: BMW 5 Series, M Sport Saloon CarPrize Amount: $850,000.00

FordEmail: bmwautoclaimsunit@live.com

Telephone: +44-704-573-5976

Congratulations!

Yours Truly,

Mrs. Grace WrightBMW Online Promotion

I got sent this today:

Dear Sir/Madam,

It is my pleasure to write to you in respect of our organization. We are experts in the sale of raw materials, we export into the Canada/America and some parts Europe. We are searching for representatives who can help us establish a medium of getting our funds from our customers in the Canada/America/Europe as well as making payments through you to us.

Please, if interested in transacting business in view of helpings us, so our clients could make payment to you being our representative, we will be very glad. Compensations will be given and other benefits.

Contact us for more information, If this proposal is acceptable to you, please get back to me, so I can work out a remuneration for your services as our representative in Canada/America/Europe. If you would like to be our representative, forward to us your phone number/fax and your full contact addresses. For further information, you could write back to rulon_larnsen@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Mr Rulon Larnsen

Ive send him all my details including bank numbers an pin numbers like he asked.

How long do you think it will take before I get some money?