F1

Fish-Finger-er

Indeed. His "cerebral" persona that the pundits were all giving him last year is definitely slipping. Not the most coherent arguments ever.

Kudos to Max Verstappen though, he was certainly showing some of the older guys what's up as far as taking overtaking opportunities. Pity he's had reliability issues so much so far!

Slowing someone down without ever getting close to each other says it all. It wasn't Hamilton in the car in front affecting you Rosberg it was the Hamilton in your head.

He made such a big statement of how out qualifying Hamilton was critical for this race - once he had lost to Hammys banker lap it never was gonna be Rosbergs race either.

Indeed. This also highlights the difference in trying to play little mind games on Saturdays (Rosberg holding Hamilton up in Q3 in Malaysia) vs. playing little mind games on Sundays (when points are actually at stake).

I think my favourite part was "if I sped up to try to attack he'd have just sped up too" as if that's a valid argument. The point of racing is that you're meant to be able to speed up further than your opponent can, at whatever moment that's going to be possible so that you can gain the place and win the race. Seems a fairly obvious point for a top-level pro driver to have missed...

I was definitely glad Rosberg made himself look a bit of a prat this weekend, because Hamilton has been making himself quite difficult to support over the years despite his talent.

...what?

EDIT: If you mean the thing from FP2 (from memory) where Raikonnen and Hamilton were investigated for how they'd left the pits, the rules with that are you practise starts in the left lane of the pit exit and drivers can pass you on the right. There was a car in the way in the left lane of the exit. Raikonnen went around the left of that car (so effectively outside of the prescribed lanes) whereas Hamilton used the right lane as you're supposed to.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If it was purely an engine-related issue then why is their B-team regularly competing/beating what is essentially the works team, despite them being driven by a pair of foetuses?

Also, that technical directive thing about the fuel flow after the initial sensor seemingly was aimed at a Ferrari. From TJ13:

According to Schmidt and other experts, such a system is worth three to four tenths of a second per lap. It is particularly effective following corners that require maximum traction – like Barcelona’s third sector – where Ferrari lost consistently over half a second per lap.
During Q1, one car was caught with suspicious sustained fuel pressure peaks in the range between 90 and 100 kg/h. As later transpired – it was an AMG Mercedes car. While the team was apparently able to provide a plausible explanation, Schmidt believes that the German team did that deliberately to raise FIA’s awareness in the matter.
The FIA were remarkably swift to respond. At 15:05 local time on Saturday a technical directive was issued that stated sustained fuel pressure peaks in the range between 90 and 100 kg/h would not be tolerated.
The fuel flow peaks were absent from all the FIA’s measurements during the race, but Ferrari were now noticeably more anaemic.

Refuelling back for 2017 season. Happy? I am.

1000bhp too! Michelin also want to supply tyres to F1 again when Pirelli's contracts expires in 2016/17 please please please tyre wars

Hoepfully it's all true and will mean F1 will be back to the quickest, flat out motorsport.

• Like 1

That'd be cool if that was the case, but Pirelli have been told to deliver tyres that work the way they work. They're given a mandate to make cars have to do a 2-3 stop race, so that means you're going to get tyres that wear the way they do. It's not a great system but that's how it works now I guess.

The big issue now seems to be the lowered noses meaning that the aero profile of the car has totally changed and they can no longer run in dirty air behind other cars as well as they could before, hence the Mercedesssss's's having problems getting past each other/the Ferraris because you only get that 1-2 lap window before your tyres get caned due to the extra understeer you're getting.

Personally I think Pirelli have done a fantastic job. I'm not a fan of the fakery of making tyres that are designed to fail, but Pirelli have done what they were told to do. It would be nice to see if a tyre war would send this out the window.

There has been mumblings that the aero will be getting changed too, I'm all for less of it which would mean dirty air wouldn't matter as much as tyres and power would become more important.

I'd like to see simple surfaces as a rule. No more of this winglet/batwing/vortex generator/25000000 element front wing bullshit. Max 2 elements front wing nothing sticking out anywhere but the rear wing. Active suspension is returning so generate a ton more downforce under the floor, ditch drs, ditch fuel flow (except in quali otherwise you may get stoooopid hp) and leave it 100kgs per race fuel. A tyre war.

Thinking about it - what's the point of refuelling if you can only use 100kgs. Yeah you weigh less but probably still be in fuel save for a lot of gps? Or are they binning 100kgs and keeping fuel flow?