F1

Fish-Finger-er

I'd fallen asleep until just before the safety car so didn't know the full gaps/story but Jesus, what a cock up, if you are 20 seconds up with 15 laps to go why the f**k do you go in the pits if your initial intension was a 1 stop. If the others pit you are 40 secs plus in front - they are never coming past you...

I posted that just before them, they weren't as awkward as I expected though. Thought Lewis did excellently to hide what he clearly wants to say to the team, Vettel was just hilarious, and Nico is still a self centred almost talented twat.

Not as massive Lewis fan, just can't stand Nico. Anyway, points for McLaren is amazing. The fact they were from Jenson was icing on the cake.

2015 earnings are out (it excludes Vettel's "golden handshake" whereby he gets all the possible bonuses from Ferrari whether he earns them or not):

1. Fernando Alonso (E) - €35m
2. Sebastian Vettel (D) - €28m
3. Lewis Hamilton (GB) - €25m
4. Kimi Raikkonen (FIN) - €18m
5. Nico Rosberg (D) - €13.5m
6. Jenson Button (GB) - €10m
7=. Felipe Massa (BR), Nico Hulkenberg (D), Sergio Pérez (MEX), Romain Grosjean (F) and Pastor Maldonado (YV) - €4m
12. Valtteri Bottas (FIN) - €2m
13. Daniel Ricciardo (AUS) - €1.5m
14. Daniil Kvyat (RU) - €750,000
15=. Max Verstappen (NL), Carlos Sainz (E) - €250,000
17=. Felipe Nasr (BR), Marcus Ericsson (S) - €200,000
19. Will Stevens (GB) - €150,000
20. Roberto Merhi (E) - €50,000

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder what the deal is with that Force India, being as I've read nothing about it. Maybe the nose is wider to accommodate some sort of ducting through the car, a la Nissan LMP1. It would be quite interesting if that was the case, especially if it worked.

F1 cars had been doing that for a while (known as F-ducts back then, I think?), but they got banned a little while ago. There are pretty strict guidelines on where air from that surface can be routed to relative to the rest of the car as well (I think...).

I read somewhere that it's potentially a new cooling system for the batteries or something like that, but no-one really seems to know.

I was thinking less about being there as a reason to stall the wing, which F-ducts were all about, but the exit would be pretty visible if they were just chucking the air out the back...

Unless it was some kind of upside down S-duct I guess? In which case it could be directing air to the underside of the car. I don't really see why they'd need to have a special/unique cooling system for any of the engine/battery components in that they're running the same setup as several other cars on the grid who can manage without.

• Like 1

Good point - I thought that they were limited to the amount of energy the batteries could charge/discharge per lap, but it turns out that's not necessarily the case. The energy charging the battery from the MGU-K per lap is limited to 2MJ per lap, and the amount of energy going from battery to MGU-K is limited to 4MJ per lap. The MGU-H isn't restricted though, and can basically feed energy directly into the MGU-K without being restricted to the 4MJ. So yeah, if they can improve that it could be a go-er.