F1

Fish-Finger-er

Sounds like they're just using it for data. I assume they go down the easiest route to get air flowing the way they think might be useful, check it is actually useful and then work out how to get that airflow to happen within the rules? I'm probably full of shit though.

Further rumours about that - someone suggested that they were trying out some ideas that had been spoken about at the Strategy Group meeting thing that happened not so long ago. As well as the winglet they've got that little skirt around the edge of the floor which is new. Williams have done stuff in the past where they've put some deliberately distracting part on their car to take attention away from the 'real' innovation they're trying to refine.

They still have been even in more recent races, I think? In fairness though, that says more about how dogshit Manor and McLaren are than the overall state of F1. The Mercs are still smoking them.

FE seems like it could be a good series, but they've made some pretty shit decisions and didn't really allow things to develop long enough to be good. I can't believe they went with the idea of swapping cars - the whole point of the series is to push electric cars and show how good they are, but the main issue people have with electric cars is range. Openly having to go "Yep, they can only do half a race distance" is essentially reinforcing that idea. Williams designed and built all the batteries (40, plus some spares) for the series, and had to work to an FIA spec but only had 12 months from being given the brief to having to have functioning models in the cars so they could race. The chassis and rest of the car had seemingly been designed by that point so they were pretty restricted which seems a really backward way to go about doing things when the batteries are the key to the success of the whole series. You only need to look at F1 to see the difference when you're able to integrate the design/layout of a power unit into a car compared to designing a car to then just drop a power unit into, so it seems odd that with all that in mind they suddenly gave Williams a call (if anyone's interested, there's an interview here that explains it all and more).

The tracks do seem shit as well. Loads of tight, 90° corners and surfaces so bumpy they've had to repeatedly beef up the suspension because people were snapping corners off the car on the curbs/bumps doesn't make great racing. It'll get more people to watch because it's more accessible in a literal "I wanted to go to the shops but there's a racing track in the way now" sense, but I don't know how much that would translate into long term support from the spectators who chance upon it. To give an example, a couple of weekends ago the Extreme Sailing World Tour had a stop in Cardiff. As a family we headed out to go and grab some food and check out the races. It was hard to follow and not overly exciting, and I don't have any intention of following the rest of the series, buying a f**k off big catamaran or a Breitling watch. I imagine that a lot of people would feel the same if they saw FE.

The disappointing thing is the power. 150kw in a race is not enough. The mguk on an f1 car is 120kw!!! Needs to be 250-300 to make the racing decent. Keep the tyres aero etc the same just moar powaaar. Oh yeah - and like everyone says - better tracks

• 2 weeks later...

Taking the 'all publicity is good publicity' thing a little too far there. That was a massive crash. The other guy is clearly looking at that car wondering how he got out of it in one piece...

I think he was probably aware he was going into it from some distance away but was just aquaplaning along and couldn't do anything. I guess it was just an "oh f**k" reaction.

Seem to remember reading that that fail-safe could only be over-ridden like that on the Marussia cars. Not a great system...

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine his first thought would probably have been to scrub off as much speed as possible to avoid ploughing into the back end of Bottas. If he'd have tried going off the brakes to steer he'd have taken him out as he didn't really have anywhere to go. They were pretty close even with him just trying to slow down:

o76gcqD.jpg

As far as I know they run quite a bit of rear wing for Hungary, so you've got all that rear downforce combined with the speed from the end of the highest speed part of the track trying to unweight a front end that's now totally devoid of downforce which would lead you straight to understeer central. Those Force Indias seem to not have much grip at the best of times :P

Some interesting/unseen bits in here. 7:10 is Kvyat having a paddy over team radio, bit later on it's the Hulkenberg crash/safety car/restart bit, then at about the 21min mark there's another cool bit where Kimi's coming into the pits for them to restart the engine. His race engineer sounds like he's telling him how to defuse a bomb or something. After that it's Hamilton getting a drive-through then overtaking everyone, then Rosberg being as accurate as Maldonado when it comes to dealing with other cars (related: Perez/Maldonado is earlier on in the video).