F1

Fish-Finger-er

Don't you like it when you get to hear that you've unlocked a new achievement? :P

One thing I thought was pretty cool about the video too was the way it really highlights just how different all the engines sound. I know that they're not as dramatic sounding as the V8s were, but hearing that they're all running different setups is interesting in its own way. The Ferrari compared to the works Mercedes for example sounds totally different.

Hearing the noise Kimi was talking about was interesting too – especially being as it only happened once. I assume it either broke enough that it didn't make the noise again or they disengaged it in such a way that it wasn't an 'issue' anymore. Liked how pragmatic he was as well after the power cycle – "I'm sorry, but maybe we should have stayed out if we weren't sure it'd work?"

Definitely. For a driver who's been told that he needs to perform to keep his seat, having constant issues like that can't really be helping, especially when the team try and roll the dice to get you out of it without really having much hope of it working. As someone pointed out on one of the F1 sites though, having a DNF might be better for him in that instance than either finishing quite a long way behind Vettel or possibly even being over-taken by one of the cars behind. At least this way he appears to have been 'robbed' so it'll be a "What if..." performance for him rather than a conclusive "X secs behind Vettel" type performance.

• 3 weeks later...

To be fair, with tow from a Williams, Verstappen had probably never been that fast in a Toro Rosso so probably just mis-judged it :P "I'm flying..."

They've mentioned on TJ13 that the teams were told the Mediums could last for up to 40 laps by Pirelli. They mention a possible cause of the tyre shitting the bed of "Standing Waves" which no-one really appears to fully understand, but basically it involves the tyre distorting and being over-stressed. You can see it happening here:

cncdv0jxaaa07mc.jpg

That said, the amount of times he went outside the track was ridiculous. Constantly dragging gravel and shit onto the track on that one particular right-hander where he always ran wide. Possibly not a coincidence that the two people with blow-outs are the two people known for regularly exceeding track limits...

Very sad to hear that Justin Wilson has died following his accident in the US... my Dad bought shares in him when he floated himself on the stock market (still find that odd) and have followed his progress since then. Horrible irony that he was killed by hitting a flying crash structure from another car. The accident is on Youtube and the initial incident was really innocuous compared to many Indy crashes but he was just massively unlucky. :(

Jeez, the chances of that happening must be so low. One of those things where being fractionally further forward/backward/left/right and he'd still be alive now. Reminds me of when Massa almost got killed by that piece of suspension that collapsed off Kubica's car and pierced his helmet - again, fraction further in a different direction and he wouldn't be here either. Bad times...

• 4 weeks later...

Medium and Hard for Suzuka so I'd imagine that it'll switcheroo to being Mercedes/RB at the front. We'll see.

Verstappen put in some pretty good moves in that race. Button's team radio was good too (as was his interview post-qualifying yesterday).