F1

Fish-Finger-er

I don't know what you mean...

Ferrari have just launched their car.  They've got a similar swoopy (high inboard, lower outboard) wing system going on too.  Can't find any photos of it, just happened to see it in a video now.

Through the power of Print Screen:

ferrariwing.jpg 

Kind of get the feeling that Mercedes have missed a trick as far as aero development goes with them having a fairly basic front wing setup.  Usual "testing is testing" caveat, but they don't seem to have the pace Ferrari have.  

"It's got a more conventional front wing, which doesn't drop away in front of the tyre. So downforce is being created in that area.

Mercedes runs less rake than the rest, but the more rake you run, the closer to the ground you get your front wing, which allows you to generate the downforce without having to have the maximum allowed flap area.

But with the front wing performance compromised when you have steering lock on, it's possible that Mercedes is losing some of that downforce in the corners, which could create a problem."

If it does end up being that Ferrari do a "Mercedes 2014-16", hopefully they'll at least let Leclerc have a crack rather than going full "Vettel must win".

Merc have sandbagged harder than anyone else for years during testing.

“Ferrari are really quick this year” -> pole in Australia by 6 tenths. 

I really hope it’s even closer than last year, especially with Alfa taking that concept to its extreme, but I guess we’ll see in the first Q3 session and not before. 

My guess is it’s closer but Mercs (Hamilton at least) out front on most tracks - especially on race pace. 

I think the front wing thing is less important than some are making out. Newey I think is quoted as saying we modelled the Ferrari/Alfa wing and ours at the moment is better, but we could implement it if we wanted without any major changes elsewhere, which could be bs but newey doesn’t seem the type for it. 

All I want is Mclaren to be back towards the front. Races are better when there are more people who can win...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, manuel said:

I think the front wing thing is less important than some are making out. Newey I think is quoted as saying we modelled the Ferrari/Alfa wing and ours at the moment is better, but we could implement it if we wanted without any major changes elsewhere, which could be bs but newey doesn’t seem the type for it. 

Possibly, although Mercedes have punted out a new design wing for week 2.  Going back to a quote I copied in from before testing:

"Perhaps most saliently, Mercedes has decided to break with a trend prevalent in the previous series of launched cars. The trailing edge of the front wing endplates fold inwards, which almost seems counterproductive in clawing back the outwash lost in 2019's ruleset. Looking back at 2009, when the first breed of wide front wings were brought in, Renault and McLaren both emerged in testing with inwash wings, completely missing the outwash trick that the remainder of the field had picked up on.

Of course, we wouldn't expect such a gross oversight from a team as dominant as Mercedes."

Week two:

59f836a9c89c13d082d0cd60d41fda8e.jpg

Now the same as everyone else...  There are a few other tweaks elsewhere too.

• Like 1

True, agree - if you properly get it wrong it’s a disaster, but don’t those wings take over a month to design, verify and build. So I guess mercedes wanted to try out the concept, or their actual car is sooo good and they have so much resource they could test the engine and new mechanical bits week one whilst forcing everyone else to spend time and cash modelling their weird different wing? 

I thought the bigger change was the new side pod shape for Mercedes more like RB. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yea the hype died a little by about 6am for me. Good to see people care about the fastest lap, although why LEC wasn’t pitted to get it is beyond me other than Ferrari being Ferrari. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a race, what a range of emotions. Absolutely gutted for Leclerc, for a start. 

Watching Sainz battle with Verstappen early on was incredible, real “now we can fight” moment until the unfortunate ending. But Lando f**king Norris: take a bow. I feel like he’d have got driver of the day if Ferrari hadn’t f**ked themselves over again. 

• Like 1

Can't help but feel for Leclerc.  As everyone's saying, he'll get his chance, but still - you never really know.  Bearing in mind how close he was with Bianchi as well, the whole "You've got plenty of time in future, don't worry..." chat might not mean much to him.

After how shit Hamilton's pace was on softs I thought he was totally done.  Turns out 2019 Vettel is still very much 2018 Vettel.  

Norris is doing really well, too.  I'm glad that the new guys aren't all being totally dicked by shit cars (apart from Russell to an extent, although at least he's got a respected team mate to be judged against rather than having someone like Sirotkin to be compared to).  If the Renault and Haas cars manage to finish a race properly it might squeeze Sainz/Norris down the order a bit but McLaren do seem much more competitive this year at least.  Found them hard to really like as a team during the Alonso/Boullier years, but they seem quite a lot different as an entity now.

• 2 weeks later...