F1

Fish-Finger-er

After I saw the post date but before I saw the 'Edited 2 hours ago by Rusevelt' thing I thought we were all going to have to sit down and have a talk...

Haven't seen the race/highlights but read the reports around the place.  Sounds like Ferrari are still Ferrari with whoever they have calling the shots.  Imploders gonn implode.

• 2 weeks later...

This is way off modern F1 viewing but after seeing this gem for the first time, I just couldn't help but marvel at the level of high detail and smoothness of the whole documentary. Even the aerial footage is insanely smooth.

Just something about 70mm seems to make the whole viewing experience more real. 

Just popped FP1 on in time to see George Russell's car get destroyed by a loose drain cover, and then see the low-loader crane arm get tanked into a bridge on the way back to the pits.  It f**ked the arm and was pouring hydraulic fluid onto the car and means/meant that they had to get a secondary crane to get the car off the low-loader.  Amazing.

FP1 is cancelled while they try and fix the loose covers.

Just watched it, ouch. Good to see Williams finally getting some bad luck to peg then back a bit...

Worst bit about the low-loader issues is that George was setting all personal best sectors before it hit the bridge.

Edited by JD™
I think I’m having a stroke.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well done to Bottas securing another pole, though Hamilton made some errors on his first flying lap and then couldn't get together on his second.

First couple of corners of tomorrow's race should be interesting.

Would be nice if they can sort out the cam stability and audio if they plan on introducing this in 2020 

Edited by Rusevelt

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair, I don't think they need to do much with the stability.  Part of the reason the old onboards look so much more rah-rah than the new ones is that the new ones have so much stabilisation it takes away the 'feel' of what's going on.

In other news, pretty shitty about Niki Lauda.  Kind of appreciated his attitude at races compared to most of the corporate/PR people in F1 these days.  His history too...

The thing that I learned about him yesterday that I wish I’d learned long before was his involvement into the crash of Lauda Air 004. He essentially called Boeing out to admit fault by saying he’d go up in a plane and do what they were saying was recoverable (and what was suspected to have caused the crash). It was only when he was going to publicly put his life on the line that they said it wouldn’t be such a great idea. 

Big f**king balls, and a legend of not just F1. 

• Like 2

Had no idea about that either - just read the article about it on Wikipedia (for those interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauda_Air_Flight_004#Lauda's_visit_with_Boeing).  What a dude.

Slightly on a tangent, but it's interesting to note the parallels with Boeing refusing to accept blame in that instance, and with the 737 MAX crashes.

• Like 1

Think it is safe to say that Leclerc, won't be doing Vettel, any favours for the remainder of the season after that Q1 incident.

Liking the trackside cams which give a better showcase of how quick these cars are

Surprisingly good race

Edited by Rusevelt

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm only on an old dk2 and really only playing elite in vr but I'm the same, the depth and immersion is phenomenal so no going back to flat screen!

A bit more uncomfotable in this warmer weather though, my computer cupboard isn't much below 30°C when using the pc at the moment :o

Probably wouldn’t be as good of an excuse in ED, but I pretend that having a fan pointed as me is good wind simulation for extra immersion. 

I exclusively race closed cockpit cars, though, so clearly I have the windows down. 

We’re wildly off topic:

Soooooo... Rich Energy eh?! I haven’t read anything since yesterday, but last I heard included ousted CEO holding their Twitter account hostage like a child. Amazing stuff.