F1

Fish-Finger-er

Yeah he knocked it on during the upshift according to Bono. Not that I care as I didn't want him to be gifted with a win after Verstappen's retirement.

Above link of race is fake. My bad not spotting it first time

Bottas on a wild pit spin.

Edited by Rusevelt

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats to Lando on securing 3rd place. Didn't think he would be able to fight it out with Bottas and Hamilton.

Power circuits are going be the real test if Mercedes are going backwards.

Edited by Rusevelt

• 2 weeks later...

Quite an eventful GP today I'm surprised to say! Verstappen playing the spoilt brat card seems a bit pointless...

"Very disappointed with being taken out like this. The penalty given does not help us and doesn’t do justice to the dangerous move Lewis made on track. Watching the celebrations while still in hospital is disrespectful and unsportsmanlike behavior but we move on"

Considering Lewis did exactly the same move on Leclerc later in the race I really don't think he can complain too much. The concept of expecting the world to stop because he's in hospital (largely unsscathed thankfully) is also just crazy.

• Like 1

It all became a bit of a Karen situation, the two team principals arguing their corners which is understandable but was kinda pathetic to watch? Then Helmut Marcos comments after, what a helmet. Pretty sure I heard him trying to say albons poor performances were down to fernando alonso or something recently…

I’d have been able to understand if it was deemed either a racing incident or a penalty as I could see both sides of the story. We want to see racing though and I’m a bit concerned about overly penalising the racing out of the sport. 

On the other hand I do believe there needs to be a better solution found for the scenario whereby someone is at fault for an accident but manages to continue and the other innocent driver is taken out of the race and will score no points. While I was on the fence here about who was at fault if they do indeed decide to penalise someone it has served no purpose in this situation as Hamilton still managed to go on and win!?

Edited by Duncy H

1 hour ago, Duncy H said:

On the other hand I do believe there needs to be a better solution found for the scenario whereby someone is at fault for an accident but manages to continue and the other innocent driver is taken out of the race and will score no points. While I was on the fence here about who was at fault if they do indeed decide to penalise someone it has served no purpose in this situation as Hamilton still managed to go on and win!?

That's racing though. Both were at fault- Max could've taken avoiding action to give Lewis a bit more room and Lewis should've realised he was on the dusty side and was likely to suffer some understeer. It's only down to Lewis (and of course the Merc)'s speed that he was able to come back for the win. You would think Max seeing Lewis do the same move on Leclerc but Leclerc giving him some room would shut him up but nope.

15 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

You would think Max seeing Lewis do the same move on Leclerc but Leclerc giving him some room would shut him up but nope.

It does look like both drivers went through copse with that incident in mind and were super conservative. Charles went wide while Lewis stayed on the inside. Neither driver took the actual racing line. 

Here's a breakdown of the incident from the perspective of a coach:

https://youtu.be/I2fn0D2wqko

Whoever is to blame, one could expect more from Lewis. I've done my share of competitive driving and can't imagine being go outgoing with my celebrations after sending a competitor into the wall at a potentially life threatening speed. His body language said a lot after the race.

On 19/07/2021 at 5:29 AM, Duncy H said:

While I was on the fence here about who was at fault if they do indeed decide to penalise someone it has served no purpose in this situation as Hamilton still managed to go on and win!?

Masi touched on this after the race - they specifically don't look at the full impact that an incident has had as it would basically make it impossible to find a penalty that 'fits' that isn't totally arbitrary. As an example, if that happened on the first race of the season, the overall impact would be totally different to if it was the title decider at the end of the season. Similarly if it was for P19 rather than P1. That's why they tend to have categories/groupings for incidents and they get penalised within those parameters. Means it isn't perfect, but it's probably the lesser of two evils.

On 19/07/2021 at 6:39 AM, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

That's racing though. Both were at fault- Max could've taken avoiding action to give Lewis a bit more room and Lewis should've realised he was on the dusty side and was likely to suffer some understeer. It's only down to Lewis (and of course the Merc)'s speed that he was able to come back for the win. You would think Max seeing Lewis do the same move on Leclerc but Leclerc giving him some room would shut him up but nope.

There were passes there last year too, and have been before. Lewis could/should have been a little tighter ideally, but it seemed Max properly gave it a turn in and wasn't going to give a huge amount of room either. That's his style though - he's known for being aggressive and essentially using his reputation to make people pull out of moves as they know that he won't back down from it, but that has it's limits. If you're in a title fight, the person fighting you can't just yield every time, and it's also not like it's a right that other drivers have to yield simply because they know you won't.

14 hours ago, Greetings said:

Whoever is to blame, one could expect more from Lewis. I've done my share of competitive driving and can't imagine being go outgoing with my celebrations after sending a competitor into the wall at a potentially life threatening speed. His body language said a lot after the race.

To be fair to Lewis, he had no idea that Max was in hospital until a bit after the race. He asked if he was OK and was told that Max was out of the car - generally speaking the cars are so safe now that if there are any serious injuries they'd know about it straight away. I don't think it's unreasonable for him to have expected that Max would have been fine. His reaction to being told Max was in hospital certainly looks like he is genuinely surprised by it.

I'd also imagine after you've just spent a race driving as hard as you can to try and overcome a sizeable deficit to win your home grand prix you'd probably be operating exclusively on adrenaline by the time you do cross the line, so wouldn't be thinking of the 'optics' of a situation (especially when you're under the assumption everyone else is fine).

22 hours ago, Greetings said:

I've done my share of competitive driving and can't imagine being go outgoing with my celebrations after sending a competitor into the wall at a potentially life threatening speed. His body language said a lot after the race.

To be fair though, Lewis coming back from a penalty to take the lead (at the same place as the previous accident) on what, the penultimate lap, at his home grand prix, in front of the biggest crowd since the pandemic hit on the eve of the country coming out of COVID restrictions... I think it's not unexpected that he might be a little excited and in a somewhat celebratory mood. Max just comes off as petulant and I'd also say that Christian Horner being a little bitch about it too is also really quite pathetic.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Christian Horner being a little bitch

"Horner: "Unacceptable" for F1 team bosses to be allowed to lobby stewards"

The same Christian Horner who was 'lobbying stewards' this weekend (his excuse was because Masi told Toto to speak to them), and has done plenty of times in the past. 

Drive To Survive was interesting in the way that it portrayed Christian vs. Toto as the guy who was winning everything, and the guy who came in and started winning everything. Obviously they're looking for ways of presenting story arcs and narratives for that show, but it does seem kind of true that there is that resentment that Toto swooped in and stopped Christian being the golden child.

EDIT: That story keeps on giving:

“I saw Toto, who was lobbying the stewards, and I heard he was going there to do it, so I went to make sure that our view was represented,” explained Horner about why he was spotted at the stewards.

“I don't think it's right that a team principal should be able to go and lobby the stewards. They should be locked away so that they're not influenced.

“For me, it was unacceptable that he had gone up there to lobby the stewards. I wanted to make sure that there was a balanced opinion given, rather than trying to influence pressure on the stewards to make a menial sentence.”

Of course you did, Christian. In the same way that you kept going over to Geri Haliwell's place while you were married to tell her that you were a big fan of the Spice Girls.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah heard it on Radio1 earlier this afternoon. Just hope Mercedes don't use George as a Wingman or number 2 driver in the event Lewis doesn't secure an historic 8th drivers title in 2021 and has to try again in 2022 when the competition field will be wide open.

Obviously Lewis would prefer to claim an 8th drivers title on merit but understands that it may come down to team strategy/orders Bottas to do another dive-bomb and take out Verstappen on track.

Alex Albon to join Williams 2022

https://youtu.be/WL6j03DZsvg

Edited by Rusevelt

• 3 weeks later...