F1

Fish-Finger-er

Just finished watching the latest 'Drive to Survive' series and that last race still pisses me off something chronic. Seeing the rest of the season again it is clear that although it came down to that last race there were a few points in the season where Lewis/Mercedes cocked things up and determined the outcome. 

• Like 1

Ferrari 1-2 Leclerc, Sainz, and Hamilton gifted 3rd, Russell 4th.

Verstappen and Perez retired with the same electrical problem on closing laps. Verstappen grind to a halt, Perez suddenly spun into turn1 as his car shutdown.

Verstappen and Leclerc wheel-to-wheel action was very much like Silverstone 2019. 

https://youtu.be/wIYPuzWCCSw

Edited by Rusevelt
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 6:04 PM, manuel said:

Verstappen should walk it on race pace. Give merc 4 races and they’ll be at or near the front - as they’ve said - their car fits inside all the other cars and they have the best engine. 

This aged badly :laugh: 

merc have the worst engine and Ferrari beat up redbull. I also laughed pretty hard when the poor old world champ started shouting. I still expect Mercedes’ to be near the front in a few races. 

• Haha 1

Hamilton out in Q1.

But not surprised because Russell has been quicker overall. In Bahrain qualifier, he kept giving Hamilton a toe whilst he qualifies on merit.

Now we will see the real pace of Russell depending on if he makes it to Q3.

Just hope the Mercedes F1 team don't use Russell as a wingman to bring Hamilton back into the hunt in the an opportunity arises.

Russell extensive time in the simulator has clearly paid off as opposed to Hamilton.

• 4 weeks later...

FSAmrwqWUAAU0lM?format=jpg&name=large

Track surface looks pretty abrasive - that combined with a load of slow, offcamber awkward corners in cars that seem to be plagued with understeer = all the pit stops, potentially.

Feel for the drivers a bit as those cars are going to feel like dick to drive around a lot of that track. Just a little taster for how much they're going to massively suck at Monaco. Either way, hoping for a Leclerc/Ferrari win purely as they seem to be the only ones capable of challenging Red Bull.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://youtu.be/2HczJcxEmQQ

Can't believe RedBull giving team orders after 6 races when Checo could have won on merit. Is RedBull gonna engineer team orders again at Monaco next weekend.

Solid podium result for George 3rd and Lewis coming back from last to 4th after the first lap contact with KMag. Lewis had to give up 4th to Sainz due to DNF risk with water leak.

Edited by Rusevelt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

"Rule 'mistake' that let Verstappen clinch F1 title will be fixed" - didn't think that that would also be a headline about the 2022 season, but here we are.

There's not really the same asterisk against the 2022 title as there is the 2021, and he was always going to win it at some point soon, but it is ironic that he happened to win it when he did through them f**king up writing/implementing rules yet again.

It'll be interesting to see what they do w.r.t the sanctions following any (albeit rumoured) cost cap breaches....

If there is a serious breach, then I'd imagine any punishments will affect next season rather than this one, but a two year time-delay on any consequence surely won't have the desired effect.

p.s. i am ridiculously terrible when it comes to using affect vs. effect so if they above are incorrect, then please correct them in your own head when reading...

39 minutes ago, ben_travis said:

If there is a serious breach, then I'd imagine any punishments will affect next season rather than this one, but a two year time-delay on any consequence surely won't have the desired effect.

Especially not when if you overspend in 2021 on development of your 2022 car, any additional performance you get from that extra spend is then baked in for the next 3-4 years of these regs. You can't 'unlearn' whatever you found out from that R&D, so unless they impose some kind of points sanctions it seems like it's not really going to be much deterrent either way. They clearly won't do points sanctions, so I'm guessing it'll be at best a slap on the wrist in the form of a fine they can easily afford to pay, or some kind of suspended sentence thing.

Red Bull's shifting position has been interesting though. Horner originally was of the position that "We haven't breached the cost cap" which then eventually became "As far as I am aware I don't think we have breached it." Marko went from "It's all defamation" to "It is an ongoing process, ongoing discussions where certain points are clarified. We are not very worried at the moment." That is a direct quote.

I can't find the article now but it sounds like Red Bull had a different interpretation to 6 points of the regs, and that if you take their POV they're 'only' €150k-ish over, but if you take the FIA view they're €10m over.

See previous post about vague/badly worded FIA rules...

Finally found part of the thing from Marko I was looking for:

"Various accountants from the FIA are with our accountants and then a discussion arises about positions, who works where. We have different companies: RB Advanced Technologies, RB Technology, RB Powertrains, & you have to separate them very clearly... There are points in the budget that do not belong in it, as already mentioned people are listed who work in the other companies [which I mentioned earlier]."

Kind of suggests to me that RB may have found a loophole/loopholes of sorts that mean they can get people in their other, "non-F1" companies to do things for them that they believe shouldn't be classified as part of the cost cap for their official F1 team?

• Like 1