Sponge

OK well considering my limited knowledge of anatomy:

Arm pump is the feeling you get when blood in your arm muscles build up and put pressure on the casing around that muscle called the facia. Some people have tried getting their facia cut open or removed. But basically what you want to do is to try and relax when your holding the bars.

Really concentrat on being as relaxed as possible.

Strengthening the muscles of your fingers and arms will make it easier to relax them.

Pretty much when your getting bad arm pump step off the bike and wiggle your fingers around for a bit.

If it gets really really painful and doesnt go away for a long time you should talk to your doctor or a personal trainer about it.

Its a common problem that is usually solved by riding for years and having good technique.

Cheers,

Ian

Don't know if this helps, but....

I rock climb, and forearm pump is something you get every time. As soon as you get it you lose all the strength in your fingers. I've wouldn't describe it as a numbness though.

In 7 years of climbing I've never not had it. It takes a lot longer to get now!

Just keep excercising it and it'll take longer to get.

Have a look at some climbing sites for ideas on excercises, or better still - climb!