Possibly Gonna Be Buying A Mac...

Mark W

After having an in-depth chat to the bloke serving me, he seemed pretty certain that Macbooks weren't going to be changing.

I'm tempted to actually ring up Mac to see if they say anything different, just incase he was lying to get me to buy it.

Did you honestly expect them to tell you that they're going to update them soon and lose a possible sale? No, dont be so stupid.

yes, phone them up and they will reveal secrets of line upgrades to you. :P

chances are they will. but the new ones will probably be hella spensive.

As the post below says, they will be the same price.

Chances are the new ones will be the same price ;) They always are. I'd like to get a Macbook but the tiny screen really puts me off. I'm used to using a 20"+ screen and I don't think i'd ever quite adapt to using a 13" screen.

Get second a 20" screen? Looking at about £150 and you'll shit at how much your productivity goes up.

To all of you slagging off Mac Minis...bugger off :P

Mine's a 1.4Ghz G4 with 512MB of RAM and i've got Logic 8 running on it just fine! It also gives me a choice of screen and peripherals. I've got a 20" Dell screen, a white mac keyboard and a Microsoft mouse.

How?! Ours are 2.4 Duel Core iMacs (I think) at ACM, and they struggle as soon as you start going to either more than 20 native instruments, or do some automation?

Please enlighten me?

Off Mac Rumors;

Appleinsider points out that the MacBook has not seen a major case redesign since its introduction in May 2006.

The new designs are expected to accompany the Montevina platform launch in June of this year. Montevina promises faster front-side bus speeds (1066MHz) over existing models (800MHz) and slightly faster Penryn processors (2.26-3.06GHz).

The consumer MacBook line is expected to transition from plastic enclosures to aluminum and stainless steel, which are reportedly more "eco-friendly".

Could be very nice.

Edited by Hendrix

I myself, don't really see a reason to get a MB Pro. Now having used both - I've got the same performance out of both when it came to Music Production. The Pro's do look nice though, and could make it a darn sight easier for Photoshop with the bigger screen and all. So for Photography work they could well be the way foward!

Apparently that's what it's going to look like. I wouldn't mind that!

Edited by Hendrix

After having an in-depth chat to the bloke serving me, he seemed pretty certain that Macbooks weren't going to be changing.

I'm tempted to actually ring up Mac to see if they say anything different, just incase he was lying to get me to buy it.

The guy has absolutely no idea what's happening, he will have most probably been telling you his opinion. However, the styles of the iBook G4 and later MacBook models hasn't changed in YEARS meaning it's due an upgrade.

Apple ('Mac' as you know them) won't tell you anything over the phone.

• 4 weeks later...

"Dear Mark,

You're pretty rad. Here's £750. Don't worry about paying us back, lolz.

Love,

Mark's uni"

Slightly changed the game a little in that I'm now angling towards getting the 24" 2.8ghz iMac, but doing the £30 upgrade from 320gb hard-drive to 500gb. Anyone reckon I'm doing something stupid by doing that? I was weighing it up between the bottom of the range Macbook Pro and this iMac (second from top), and I realised that I don't reeeeeeeeeeeeeally need the portability of the Macbook Pro, so having the better spec from getting an iMac would be a good idea?

Id be very tempted by the imac, the 24 inch monitor is a big bonus for viewing and editing photos. i have a 22 inch screen and love it. ( also nice to watch dvds on)

However I still want a macbook so i can take it to jobs to back work up.

It's a tough one, the 24" iMac does look really nice. Like Chris says, don't underestimate the usefulness of a 24" screen for photo editing. I've got a 22" and it's lovely, obviously a 24" is better.

If you were going to play any recent ish games on it, I'd say the iMac is a bad idea. 1) because the screen is huge and therefore takes more processing power to fill it, and 2) because the integrated graphics on the cheaper iMac 24" is pretty poor. You get a much better graphics card on the Macbook Pro, and a smaller screen so games should whizz along nicely.

There are rumours that the next version of Photoshop will use the graphics card for some stuff, so in theory the MBP wins slightly there, but the higher CPU speed on the iMac might balance that out anyway... Either way that's a long way off and isn't for definite, so I wouldn't worry about it.

It's a tough one. Don't underestimate how useful it is to be portable though. Even if it's just for the extra desk space you have when you put away your computer.

Yeah, that was another consideration I had, really. I thought it'd be pretty cool to be able to just fold my computer up and put it in my desk or something, haha. Thing is, I'm gonna be wanting to use a normal mouse with it, and it'll need to have an ethernet cable plugged into it for me to access the net (all the time...), so it won't be aaaaall that portable as it is? I know that I could just unplug shit and move it about or whatever, but in terms of desk space/annoyance, it won't be all that different to the iMac.

I think the last PC game I bought was GTA Vice City when it first came out, to give you an idea of my gaming habits, haha.

Graphics cards on new iMacs arent integrated. Plus a 256mb is still pretty decent.

Sorry you're right about the integrated thing (which is good). But just because it's 256Mb doesn't mean it's especially fast - those Radeons are very slow compared to the 8800 that's in the more expensive iMac/ the 8600 in the MBP.

Yeah it's just the MacBook's and MacBook Air's that have shared memory / integrated graphics cards. The suckkkkk haha.

The iMac's aren't too bad at all and have been updated recently so the 2.8ghz would be swish. I think that a MBP would be a better thing though, portable, better for photog trips, slower processors but better graphics overall like Tomm said.

I've had my MBP for nearly a year now and it's absolutely awesome. Perfectly suited with 4gb of ram to run all CS3 and more. Plus I know that if I want to take it to Uni to do lecture notes, work at the library or home to visit family I've got all my stuff with me.

I've had my MBP for nearly a year now and it's absolutely awesome. Perfectly suited with 4gb of ram to run all CS3 and more. Plus I know that if I want to take it to Uni to do lecture notes, work at the library or home to visit family I've got all my stuff with me.

Then why do you want to sell it? Oh wait cos you're a fussy arse who wants a new one.

But I agree with Nick, except mine is coming upto 2 years old and has 2gb of ram, yet I can still run PS/Illust/InDesign at the same time, After Effects runs fine as does Aperture.

Then why do you want to sell it? Oh wait cos you're a fussy arse who wants a new one.

But I agree with Nick, except mine is coming upto 2 years old and has 2gb of ram, yet I can still run PS/Illust/InDesign at the same time, After Effects runs fine as does Aperture.

I might not sell it for a little bit. I'll see what spec the next ones are :)

But yeah, even the most basic ones will run it all fine.

So is it basically a toss-up between having a bigger screen or having it run faster, essentially? Portability aside, obviously. Like is one actually a better spec overall than the other, or is it all compromises?

No, the iMac has a bigger screen and faster CPU. The graphics aren't as good on the iMac but that will make the square root of f**k all difference unless you're playing games (no difference in Photoshop, anyway).

So the compromise is: Bigger screen, faster, more hard drive space vs portability.

Finally made it to uni to check out the education prices - pretty sweet (Y) Could get the 24" 2.8ghz iMac with the upgraded-to-500gb hard-drive and the 3 year higher education care plan for just over £1,050 which is pretty sweet.

One last thing I wanted to ask - anyone tried using the wireless mouse and keyboard Apple offer? Just thought it might be good having them be easily removed from my desk in case I need the space or anything like that.

Finally made it to uni to check out the education prices - pretty sweet (Y) Could get the 24" 2.8ghz iMac with the upgraded-to-500gb hard-drive and the 3 year higher education care plan for just over £1,050 which is pretty sweet.

One last thing I wanted to ask - anyone tried using the wireless mouse and keyboard Apple offer? Just thought it might be good having them be easily removed from my desk in case I need the space or anything like that.

oh my god they are poor. Don't get wireless.