Possibly Gonna Be Buying A Mac...

Mark W

Yeah, I'm not really 100% set on getting one/desperate for one or anything like that, it's just that it's cheap when you buy an iMac to get the upgrade to one. Pretty much the only reason I asked, the regular keyboard seems pretty much fine, really.

With Microsoft/other ones, how do they set up to accomodate the Apple key 'n' stuff?

As far as I know, you can set it up so that the Windows key becomes the cmd key, which makes sense but it's in the wrong place. Or you can swap them so that alt on the keyboard becomes cmd which more closely reflects the normal layout of the Apple keyboards. I think :unsure:

Good choice Mark! I've got a iMac g5 20" an other then initial problems with it overheating (I never gave any thought to it being over my radiator) It's been flawless. Really good for general computing etc aswell as the slight editing that I do/rendering on PS.

HIJACK ALERT!!!

I think this will be just a quick question. I had my laptop nicked last night as well as some other stuff, which is going to force me to investigate the Mac option more, as I have been salivating over them for a long while. Presuming that I can only stretch to the cheapest MacBook, is it worth it, or shall I just get a £400 PC laptop?

To help with any answers, I would mainly be looking at it for the stability. Day to day usage would be normal internet shit, a little bit of web design, and the odd bit of Logic 8. Logic would only be being used for ideas and stuff, rather than full recording, so i presume I can get away with the low spec?

Cheers for your help.

My flatmate has just bought a new £500 PCWorld laptop (HP/Compaq thing) and it's really toss. It's just made out of cheap plastic so it's flexy and creaky and quite big. The trackpad is also rubbish which is immensely frustrating. And don't get me started on Vista. Without wishing to sound like a Mac fanboy, Vista really is rubbish. It's ugly, bloated, slow and nothing is in the right place any more. I hadn't really used Vista properly until recently and I can see why a lot of people are downgrading to XP.

I think what people don't understand is that a lot of Apple hardware is expensive because it's good. You can't compare Macbooks to Dell or Compaq laptops, you should compare them to Thinkpads or something that's built well.

EDIT: Er, yes - the cheap Macbook will be fine :)

EDIT2: But if you read the thread, a lot of people are suggesting that an update is imminent so don't buy one right now.

Thanks Tomm, I agree hugely with the Vista debate, I've spent the last 3 months downgrading from Vista to XP, then still not being happy so going with many different flavours of Linux and trying out the Os86x stuff, which I couldnt get to work on my old hardware. I have used a few macs and everything seems more intuitive and just _better_ than everything else I've tried. I'm willing to pay a premium for that. i dont know whether I can wait for an update... but I guess it's the best option...

Hmm, I do have an ATI graphics card. That's one thing, the other thing is my 15 year old network card (works fine in Windows but I bet it's got some very obscure chipset), my USB TV tuner and a USB / infrared remote control. A bit frustrating, probably not worth the hassle :(

yea, i'd say don't bother then to be honest, sounds like a lot of hassle. Have you had a look at the compatibility lists on the osx86 wiki? You might be lucky, as I think it's mainly the ATI laptop cards that are badly supported.

Friend of mine is selling his Macbook Pro...I'm tempted to buy it.

For sale is my nearly 1 year old (June 19th 2007 purchase date) MacBook Pro.

It has served me well over this year, but its dawned on me that i don't use it as a 'laptop' nearly enough and would rather go back to a desktop i can mess about with.

This is an absolutely top class laptop, the build quality and finish is unmatched and if i ever need a laptop Mac will be my first port of calling.

Spec as follows:

15.4-inch (diagonal), 1440 by 900 resolution, TFT widescreen (glossy)

2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2GB (two SO-DIMMs) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 SDRAM and dual-link DVI

120GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm

8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

3 Year Applecare Warranty (2 Years Remaining)

One FireWire 400, one FireWire 800, two USB 2.0 ports, and ExpressCard/34 slot

Built-in iSight camera, DVI, VGA (cant find the DVI-VGA adapter atm but i have a good idea of where it is, price reflects this)

Combined optical digital input/audio line in, combined optical digital output/headphone out, stereo speakers, microphone

Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)

Built-in AirPort Extreme (802.11n); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

Weight: 5.4 pounds

Footprint: 14.1 by 9.6 inches

Thickness: 1.0 inch

Comes Fully Boxed but missing remote and dvi-vga adapter. Also includes Mac OSX Leopard discs.

Unit itself is in overall excellent condition, has been sat on a desk for 11 months really.

An awesome machine, have been running both OSX Leopard and Vista Business via bootcamp and it hasnt missed a beat, got voted best Vista laptop of 2007!

Includes remainder of 3 year applecare, expires June 19th 2010 and is fully transferable!

Asking just £900 Inc del ono.

Pics upon request but the box is at my parents house so will only be of the unit etc. If it sells then ofcourse it will be sent properly retail boxed etc.

Listed elsewhere so reserve the right to remove from sale.

I have read the trading rules and agree to abide by them at all times until the transaction is concluded to the satisfaction of all parties involved : Yes.

I'm gonna offer him 700 for it, what do people think?

Is it a good time to buy a mac at the moment? My only minor worry is the HD space but does anyone know how easy it is to change a hard disk?

Thanks

James

Friend of mine is selling his Macbook Pro...I'm tempted to buy it.

I'm gonna offer him 700 for it, what do people think?

Is it a good time to buy a mac at the moment? My only minor worry is the HD space but does anyone know how easy it is to change a hard disk?

Thanks

James

I think him expecting £900 is a bit rich, £800 is better, but as youre a mate he might take £700

Changing harddrive is piece of piss, I've done 2 or 3, its literally a #0 screwdriver and a T6 torx driver. So simple. I used a guide on macfixit or ifixit or something like that, but it's pretty simple.

Just found the perfect Macbook, 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb HDD for the £350 buy it now price. It was that low because there was a small chip in the plastic which was pictured and nothing to worry about. Made the mistake of phoning the missus to talk about getting it and her maybe helping out a little more with bills this month and during that time someone else snapped it up. f**k! Bollocks.

Update on the new release macbook :

Should be out for consumers by the 20th June.

and Steve's announcing it at the same press meeting that he's going to be announcing the new iPhone.

Not long to wait :)

(This has come from an Apple Source)

I would have said he's definitely announcing it then, bearing in mind all the hype/banners up.

I mean these banners:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06...t_pre_wwdc.html

Apparently 10.5.4 is gonna be launched next week, along with news of 10.6 aka Snow Leopard, which is also going to be the first 100% intel OS X build.

Edited by JonMack

Think Steve's announcing it on the 9th. And I've now seen lots of photos of it, and my my, pretty boy ;)

I think you need to separate fact from rumours. There are a lot of stupid Apple fans who make Photoshop mockups of new computers/iPods, and start rumours about it for fun, and because they're stupid.

N.B. This post was done in the style of the blogs that propagate these rumours which aren't fact. Just in case you didn't get that :P