What Size To Ride?

JonZebdi

As per title really

I currently have a 26" Zebdi (will be putting pics and spec up tomorrow), but used to have a 20" monty (a few years ago now like) and to be honest i think i preferred the 20" - i am contemplating whether or not to go back to 20" - i think i fiond it alot easier to ride than the 26" - does anyone have any preference over these two sizes and the arguments for each!?

please post and help me make a decision!!

Cheers,

Jon

Hi Jon

When i first started riding trials i was riding a 26" bike but could never do anything on it so i whent to 20" (zoo python 06) and well i find it so much better to ride as i was able to pick up lots of moves alot faster and was able to ride it better and somther.

There is one part i dont like about a 20" bike is that i find it harder to do biger stuff.

I thing a 20" will be better for you but that is just me lol.

Steve

I ride 26" and my mate used to ride 24" and with me having that extra 2" it was alot easier to get up things. Not much to go on but ah well.

That is one of the things that i do find a bit hard riding as 20" but im not really worred as i find it more of a challenge :D

If i were you i'd keep the stock. You will find it much easier to get back to the level you were at before you stopped and you will also find it much easier to progress. When i switched from mod to stock i also found that back pains and strains became pretty much non existant, which is a bonus :P

Mike.

cheers for that so far guys - i think i did pick things up easier on the 20" and also looking at it now - it is alot harder to do on the 26" (in my eyes - not having a go at those that ride 26") but at the same time i see the point about getting up bigger things - as i have had a two year break - i dont think i would be going up anything TOO big at the minute anyway - need to find my feet again before i start doing stupid stuff!! haha!!

very tempted to go back to the 20" - i also saw some young lads riding 20" on a caravan site i was at recently and i think i prefer the looks of the 20" - again - no offence to the 26" riders but with the 20" they MAINLY look like trials bikes and the 26" look like "normal" bikes (with exceptions i know) so if i was going for the "thats different" look - i would go 20" all day long!!

Jon

If i were you i'd keep the stock. You will find it much easier to get back to the level you were at before you stopped and you will also find it much easier to progress. When i switched from mod to stock i also found that back pains and strains became pretty much non existant, which is a bonus :P

Mike.

the thing with that one is i dont seem to be able to do much at all on the stock as i have never r3eally ridden stock i was alwyas mod untill i had to stop which is when i was busy building the stock but never got chance to ride it so going to something new (stock opposed to mod) and with a lack of two years experience - i am finding it hard!! lol!!

Jon

very tempted to go back to the 20" - i also saw some young lads riding 20" on a caravan site i was at recently and i think i prefer the looks of the 20" - again - no offence to the 26" riders but with the 20" they MAINLY look like trials bikes and the 26" look like "normal" bikes (with exceptions i know) so if i was going for the "thats different" look - i would go 20" all day long!!

99% of stock bikes look nothing like a "normal" bike :)

point taken - think i should have said "more like normal bikes than" - but i see wqhere you are coming from - wasnt meaning it in a nasty way or anything - and as stated no offence was intended!!

think if i can swap my stock for a mod i will be going back to mod like!!

Jon

I'm a bit confused about it all, so i have a few questions aswell.

What is better for balance. 26 or 20?

What are there more parts for. 26 or 20?

I know the 20's benefit from greater wheel strength and less likely to buckle.

Finally, what is better for hopping. 20 or 26?

personally from riding the two now - i found the 20" to be better for ballance and to be able to pick things up alot quicker on - the more and more i thin about it the more and more i wana go back to 20"

Jon

Really liked riding a 20" mod. Rode on a few basics, like the t-bird and t-pro. Actually owned the t-bird. I liked the 20" as i found it easier to balance and easier to throw around as I'm actually quite short. Also found it really easy to learn on. Loved it :]

how big r u that helps

i am 5'9" - what would people recomend?!

go 20"

i think it may be going that way mate

I just don't like thoses little wheels, just simply can't get a feel for them

i feel the same but with the 26" wheels - i just get this awfull feeling that the going to buckle - think thats from when i used to try it on standard bikes though and bend the wheels on them!!

Really liked riding a 20" mod. Rode on a few basics, like the t-bird and t-pro. Actually owned the t-bird. I liked the 20" as i found it easier to balance and easier to throw around as I'm actually quite short. Also found it really easy to learn on. Loved it :]

i have found that with the 20" - loads easier to balance on and get to grips with!!

I've been riding for nearly three years and moved through all the size's and the wierd and wacky geometry.

However i do seem to get on with 26" more; especially the longer they are....

:P

like i said erlier in the thread it may only be that i have only riden 26" a couple of time so i may get better with a few more rides etc but we shall see

Jon

how big r u that helps

i am 5'9" - what would people recomend?!

go 20"

i think it may be going that way mate

I just don't like thoses little wheels, just simply can't get a feel for them

i feel the same but with the 26" wheels - i just get this awfull feeling that the going to buckle - think thats from when i used to try it on standard bikes though and bend the wheels on them!!

i have found that with the 20" - loads easier to balance on and get to grips with!!

I've been riding for nearly three years and moved through all the size's and the wierd and wacky geometry.

However i do seem to

Use the search! Theres been loads of topics like this in the past ;)

To answer your question if you have already road both 20" and 26" you shouldn't really need to ask other people as i would have thought first hand experience would be the best judge.

Dan

cheers for that mate - i was just wanting to see what the preferrance of other was - i have got a good idea what i would do ie stay with stock or go back to mod but wanted comments on what people thought!!

Jon