The Official Nasa Speculation Thread

Haz

The death of a star, It has to be a very large star, but its basically a massive explosion I think. But smaller stars wont do it, they just turn into black (or red, or white) dwarves cant remember which. Physics was so long ago.

It's the kind of star which can collapse into a black hole, creates very heavy elements.

Will tell us a great deal about the life of stars and the creation of black holes.

I'm a little dissapointed.

But I guess it's a fair way from the pretty pictures they have of NASA photo of the day...

moon cricket:

"Derived from early slave times when black people would come out at night and sing slave songs under the moonlight like crickets.

Hey! Billy Bob and Joline, grab the shotguns the damn moon crickets are escaping from the plantation"

And did that bloke just say I want to talk about vigina?

Edited by Boswell

The death of a star, It has to be a very large star, but its basically a massive explosion I think. But smaller stars wont do it, they just turn into black (or red, or white) dwarves cant remember which. Physics was so long ago.

White dwarfs. You also get brown dwarfs but they arent part of the death of a star:)

Supernova are exploding stars, very important as current theory suggests this is how all the elements came into being.

Basically as a star lives it is combining small elements together (hydrogen amoungst other things) until a point in the life where all the hydrogen is gone, it will then start to fuse carbon and oxygen etc. Then if the star is I think 10 times the size of our sun then it will explode into a supernova. The explosion scatters all the heavy elements around and the shockwaves trigger the birth of new stars

I only recently did an essay on the sun so this was a fun little revision

EDIT: Forgot to ask, what did they say about this supernova then?

Edited by Has anyone seen my shoe?