Front Brake

forteh

Having watched various videos posted on here Ive noticed more and more that people leave their front brake once on the back wheel and leave it spinning. Is this just personal preference or are there any benefits to be gained from it? Gyroscopic balancing perhaps?

Personally I keep the wheel locked, maybe Ill try releasing it and see what happens. Anyone got any thoughts on it? :)

I used to hold the front brake for near enough everything i did, then i began to sidehop to two and never held the front brake ( seamed to help ). Since then i have only used a front brake for front gaps and natty.

If your covering the lever you might aswel just have the brake on, so to answer your question. No, your not acctully covering the brake :)

I know that :P

I meant you dont cover the front brake when youre not using it?

i love that...and i also like it when people gap and don't pull the back brake till the last second- can hear the pawls clicking through the air...ooo
When Neil Tunnicliffe gaps, his loud chris king hub sounds like a wasp flying past.

I found that when i started on the back wheel i held my front brake cuz i was really tense. But no that backwheeling has become second nature im alot more relaxed and dont really do it as much.

As for helping with certain moves, im not really sure because most moves you land to the front wheel you have the front brake on to start with so...??

Either way its just a lil easier to relax with no front brake.

i cover my brakes all the time, depends what im doing really, if i try to put more 'style' to my riding then i let go of the brake, if im concentrating really hard then i think i just hold onto both brakes..

steve

That would be the same for me.

I find that I have more grip over the bars when not pressing the front brake (master hand on rear brake)

This thread really clarifies my doubts cos I wanted to ask this question too.

However, I got another question. During hook ups, must the front brake be locked? What I mean is that when you jump up to the obstacle, the front brake is already locked? Cos I noticed that if the front brake isn't locked, the front wheel can't hook properly and it'll slip. I have yet to try hook ups.

i personally can't imagine landing in a hook with the front brake off..i don't think i'd get anywhere! Most people do pull it I think, but i remember ben travis (i think) saying that he didn't pull it, then realising he did, then thinking he shouldn't...

something like that...pull it i say :P