Brakes And Brake Boosters

cam217

hey all,

so i heave heard alot about if you but a brake booster on a bike that doesn't flex that it some times makes the brake worse and creates very little sound,

i was just curious if you didn't have a brake booster on a bike that does flex will it make it make the brake any better and any louder ??

cheers cam (Y)

Edited by cam217

hey all,

so i heave heard alot about if you but a brake booster on a bike that doesn't flex that it some times makes the brake worse and creates very little sound,

i was just curious if you didn't have a brake booster on a bike that does flex will it make it make the brake any better and any louder ??

cheers cam (Y)

Holy shit! A new rider in my area!

Yeah, boosters generally remove the noise of the brake on most frames, flexy or not. But on a stiff frame they tend to reduce performance and on a frame with a bit of flex they usually do increase the hold of the brake. Best bet would be try a 2 bolt booster and a 4 bolt one and see which works best for your frame.

My old zoo! boa flexed all over the place and the brake was ok but not particularly good. Put an echo control booster on there and it was alot better with less flex.

My current frame has a built in booster and the brake is far better without the booster (more flex), it bites and holds better whilst also being noisier.

Try it, but be aware that if your frame is very flexy without a booster youre going to cause the frame to fail much faster due to fatigue. My boa frame cracked round the r/h seat stay and its pretty much guaranteed to be from brake induced frame flex.

edit: Ive got a control booster spare if you want to try it, call it a tenner, if you dont like the feel/power of it then send it back and Ill refund you the money :)

Edited by forteh

ive got a control booster spare if you want to try it, call it a tenner, if you dont like the feel/power of it then send it back and Ill refund you the money smile.gif
thanks for the offer dude but im sure i could find 1 lying around Edited by cam217