What Do You Think About Before Trying Something!

TrialsGilly

Anything that doesn't involve the move really :P

When i start thinking about what i'm doing, what could go wrong etc.. It all goes tits up most of the time!

Hehe, im so different to everyone else. Focusing does come into it sometimes, but i tend to piss about too much when riding :)

Edited by Skoze

Just want to find out what people think when they are riding!

Just before i try something i tend to think about my brakes more than anything.......

Tom

you shouldn't thinking about anything other than focusing your attention on the move you are attempting to nail.

Tend to not think about anything except what I'm doing. Get a kind of total focus thing going on where I'm just looking at where I'm going and concentrating on doing whatever it is I'm trying. The actual movement is natural, that is I don't think about how to do it, I just concentrate on doing it. I think.

Haha, Dave, you may laugh but I do that from time to time (at least, I think it's in my head...) and it works on smaller stuff

Going for something bigger and pushing yourself however is probably not the best time to be looping the 2 bars you know from that song off the radio in the morning!

on a vaguely similar note...does a good grunt help?

When I'm doing a big line where I need to fully commit I think I tend to do it anaerobically, as in hold my breath for the duration of the effort (and never grunt). I kind of do it naturally but read/heard somewhere that it's the most efficient way for explosive excercise. Like 100m sprinters do it anaerobically... or am I talking rubbish?

You couldn't use aerobic respiration on a sidehop if you tried. The timescale is just too short. If you're doing a section for, say, more than 20 seconds then you'd need to breathe. Sprinters (100-400m) do almost entirely anaerobic, yes, but towards the end of a 400m race they'll be part anaerobic and part aerobic.

I read something saying that on average, javelin throwers get 7% more distance if they grunt! Obviously they don't do it because they need the oxygen, but apparently it helps. It must be psychological I'd imagine.

I try to think about doing the move as slowly as possible. Ha. I try to will the world to slow down. I guess I just try to make sure I am doing every part of every step of everything I try. Technique first I guess. Balancing longer, jumping higher and such will come in time. But I dont want bad habits

EDIT:

On any move you attempt, especially explosive moves I think it's safe to say you should exhale. You may not need to if you're doing 1 run thats 20 seconds long. But you'll be tired after. If you give a good sharp exhale as you do each hop (breathing lighter or harder depending on the effort involved) then your muscles and lungs will be able to power your body for longer. It's endurance. If you're riding for 5 mins and thats it, then dont worry. If you're practicing or you're doing a longer run I would breathe. I certainly do while I bike. Or anything really. Breathing is the key. Ask any boxing, singing, guitar, weight lifting, running or wrestling coach. They'll tell you to breathe. Thats the first thing I used to yell at people I saw sparring in Jiu Jitsu class. You see these new guys and they're grunting and eegh! Rrrgh! UHing all over the place. They get tired in 5mins. I'm an out of shape small guy and I can roll for an hour easy.

Edited by Sabiot

you shouldn't thinking about anything other than focusing your attention on the move you are attempting to nail.

If you don't, actually, think in the move you are going to make... It means that it is well absorved, that is natural to do it.... and when needed it is going to show up itself.

When you are nervous you think in everything at the same time.... that's why you have to be able to do it without thinking.... in a competition, some people can't really think what they are going to do next.

when it is something new, I think that I'm going to break my neck, that my brakes are going to fail...

I can't do what I wrote above.

but read/heard somewhere that it's the most efficient way for explosive excercise. Like 100m sprinters do it anaerobically... or am I talking rubbish?

Absolutely (Y)

Apparently grunting has been proven to increase throwing distance by 6% in javelin throwers - I think it was to do with the sudden exhalation of air... interesting.

Back on topic... I think of about... I dunno really. Just being focused I think!

Sometimes I'll go yarge if I'm going for a big gap, and as for thinking about it, I don't really, which is why I like trials so much, I can put down everything and ride for half an hour and forget about all the work I have to do, which puts me in a better frame of mind for working.

Apparently grunting has been proven to increase throwing distance by 6% in javelin throwers - I think it was to do with the sudden exhalation of air... interesting.

I read something saying that on average, javelin throwers get 7% more distance if they grunt! Obviously they don't do it because they need the oxygen, but apparently it helps. It must be psychological I'd imagine.

Ooh, i wonder who wins?

I sort of go "gaarrrgggghhhh".. not really a grunt, more of a fast low toned scream/growl. The worrying thing is that since starting it in riding i do it in other things too as a sort of way of expressing emotion. I growled at someone the other day for no obvious reason, which to me seemed normal.... the look on their face said otherwise though :$