What Do You Think About Before Trying Something!

TrialsGilly

I kind of disengage my sort of conscious mind and almost take a back seat. It's really weird. Like I sort of tell myself "You're going to do this line", then just step back and watch myself do it, almost...

I kind of disengage my sort of conscious mind and almost take a back seat. It's really weird. Like I sort of tell myself "You're going to do this line", then just step back and watch myself do it, almost...

I know what you mean, i think thats what happens once you've done the move a silly amount of times. I remember when i first started i used to break up what i'd need to do and concentrate on little bits at a time, where as now i think about where i need to go and it just sort of happens, far more naturally.

Yeah, probably. When it's something small, I really think about it, but it's just if it's something that scares me I sort of ride up to it, think "I feel right, I'm going to do this", then tune out. It's weird, but feels good when you land stuff. It also seems to make me more aware of what's happening if I start going down, like I can generally get away with stuff a bit better sometimes.

EDIT: I think what happens with me usually is that I sort of think of the position I need to be in at the "moment" of the trick, and then just sort of make myself go into that position. I was doing a line where I had to hop up onto a bench, then 180 out over a concrete block, and all I was thinking about was the moment where I'd be just past the 90deg mark, over the bench, looking down and spotting the landing. I just sorta made myself get into that point and it just took care of itself. Works with ups to front and stuff too...

Until recently i just thought about my technique as im quite a beginner compared to most of the people on here. But since snapping my chain 3 times in the period of a couple of weeks i've been thinking more cautiously about where i would land if i had to bail out if my chain snapped again. Probably new chain time to be honest lol.

Dan

Until recently i just thought about my technique as im quite a beginner compared to most of the people on here. But since snapping my chain 3 times in the period of a couple of weeks i've been thinking more cautiously about where i would land if i had to bail out if my chain snapped again. Probably new chain time to be honest lol.

Dan

yeah new chain time it is.

i generally dont think about anything, which probably isnt a good thing when im trying to do things i cant really do.

i'm a fan of the profanities when i ride :) blasting up a wall and yelling fanny, can't beat it..

i don't tend to think, only where to hit my wheel for a tap, i just focus on my obstacle..

Edited by ogre

Sometimes I'll just switch off, and watch what I've told to happen, happen.

Sometimes, I'll think about something completely different, look back and concentrate on it - but only for enough time to assess how much power/where the landing is, then go straight away.

Sometimes a countdown helps (mostly for parkour though... Normally helps with the scary-but-doable ones).

Sometimes I'll concentrate on the landing REALLY hard, and everyhting else sort of... "fades out of vision"*. It'll swim towards me a bit, 'till I know I can do it - then go (Y)

*I know it's all still there ( :P ), I'm just not aware of it.

when im doing something i havent done before like a drop i usually think f**k it and just do it

helps you forget all your nerves e.c.t

whereas when im trying to get something smoother i put allll my concentration into getting it perfect