Power Pad Backings

Echo-Scott

Right, while I was out ridin tonight the power pad backings on my rock pads decided to snap........again. This is the third time it's happened and I don't know why it keeps happening. The pads are set up straight and close to the rim but it keeps happening. Oh and its a front brake with echo lite forks. Does anyone know why they keep snapping or am I just having alot of bad luck?

Scott.

I have no idea why they're snapping all the time, but maybe you should purchase some CNC'd backings?

I have some on the back and i'm trying to get some second hand for the front but I was just woundering why these power pad ones keep snapping.

Say goodbye to your maggie pistons if you get cnc backings.

Apparently, the Rimjam backings only did it because the backings were made of a soft Zinc something, which eventually squished up and allowed more movement for a punch like force on the prongs. CNC alu ones don't do this because they're made of a much more stiff material.

EDIT: Knew i had read it on here. Straight from the horses mouth.

wally (mr rimjam) said that his pads made this happen a few times, because the (think it was a zinc alloy) he was using was quite soft, and after a while the backings had deformed enough to give a substantial "wobble" to the pad. Then when the brake was applied, the backings are actually hitting the guide prongs- nice brittle casting + impact...snap. Not a problem on the heatsinks though, because they are made from a harder material that doesn't deform to the same extent during use...

adam

Edited by Fat Pantsâ„¢

is it the whole backing thats snapping? i had several lots of pads where the clip that holds them on to the prong on the piston snapped. just where there was a little bit of movement and they would snap, causing the pad to move about a lot. think it was due to the stupid sharp grind and the grabby nature of the heatsink blue pads i was using.

Apparently, the Rimjam backings only did it because the backings were made of a soft Zinc something, which eventually squished up and allowed more movement for a punch like force on the prongs. CNC alu ones don't do this because they're made of a much more stiff material.

EDIT: Knew i had read it on here. Straight from the horses mouth.

did you just call me a f**king horse :angry:

Say goodbye to your maggie pistons if you get cnc backings.

I guess you're referring to the guy who snapped his maggy recently, and he was using heatsink reds with cnc backings? :blink:

However, in that thread, others snap their maggy even with normal backings.

Actually, the stiff alu backing is so stiff, there's no flex compared to the normal backings, and so the maggy snaps.

However, as mentioned, others snap their maggy even with normal backings.

is it the whole backing thats snapping? i had several lots of pads where the clip that holds them on to the prong on the piston snapped. just where there was a little bit of movement and they would snap, causing the pad to move about a lot. think it was due to the stupid sharp grind and the grabby nature of the heatsink blue pads i was using.

The whole backing has snapped straight in two every time, right where the backing gets thin agen after the part which keeps it stable between the prongs(if you get what I mean :P )

Ok guys, Not happy atall. Out riding today and yet again my backings decide to snap. There has got to be something goong wrong somewhere. This is the fourth tim that this has happened to me and it was less than a week ago that the last set snapped. Does anyone have any idea whty this may be happening to me so frequently :angry::angry::angry:

Annoyed Scott!!