How To Loose Brake Noise?

N Roach

Hi,

I know most people on here try to make there brakes more noisy, but im sick of hearing it now. Any idea's on how to reduce or cut off the noise? I was told by someone to tilt the pads so that the front on the pad hits first, if looking from an birds eye view, Will this work?

Also want to avoid using a booster.

Edit: with out losing the proformance.

Nathan

Edited by Koxx_Nath.C

Chamfering the ends of your pads will make them quieter. But noise is vibrations and the only real way to loose most vibrations is through a booster. It made a huge difference to the noise of my brake when i put an echo booster on my raven 4. Good luck.

Dan

Chamfering the ends of your pads? will make them quieter. But noise is vibrations and the only real way to loose most vibrations is through a booster. It made a huge difference to the noise of my brake when i put an echo booster on my raven 4. Good luck.

Dan

What do you mean by that? :rolleyes:

Filing the corners?

Edited by Koxx_Nath.C

Pretty sure that's what he's getting at. Most pads naturally lose their sharp edges after a bit of use though. To be honest, for a properly working brake, especially for natural and comps, you're going to need to run a good setup with a grind which will pretty much always mean noise.

Discs discs discs discs discs discs discs discs discs discs discs discs discs discs discs discs discs discs discs discs

my coust pads didnt make much noise, they just swooshed instead of a honk and they worked well. Also vee brakes dont make much noise so could get a vee.

my vee on a smooth rim makes a pretty loud squeal so thats not strictly true. discs do make everyone quieter and appear smoother. even worked for me.

just use your brakes less, its not to bad on drops (not drop gaps) and getting up stuff, if you time it right when u apply the brake it will make a big difference.

just do it like this <-----

Edited by Mowgli

What do you mean by that? :rolleyes:

Filing the corners?

Yeh i just mean filling the corners down, if done evenly and smoothly it can make quite a difference to sound, this is often done on car brake pads to stop them squealing but thats a whole different subject lol.

Dan

Nathan, there really isn't alot you can do. If you want to keep your performance then you need the pads to be biting exceptionally well, particularly in comps. A grind and the right set of pads will give you that. If you want to remove the sound your only real option is to get an anodized rim with magura std black pads. you'll have hardly any grip but you'll have no sound.

As for the booster reducing vibrations, this is true, but your brake will continue to be noisy, because the vibrations will travel through the metal. I'm running a 4 bolt booster on my 2007 echo pure with a magura hs33 with cnc red heatsinks, this is always noisy, even with a worn grind.

To sum it up Nathan, for your requirements you have a choice of a disc or disc.

The sounds are annoying worse for me now, as i've currently given up on front disc's, as mine keep playing up, so I'm now running a front maggie, and of course for guranteed bite I have a grind too.

I hate the sound, but it's small price to pay for your brakes to stop you on a pin head.