1000 Miles, What Bike?

JT!

My friend is planning on doing a ride from Whitby to Venice but doesn't know what bike to buy. Obviously wants something in between a race bike and a MTB i'm guessing. And he's looking around the £500 mark. I've sent him the link to this topic so if you have any advice on what to buy or any general advice i'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Ta (Y)

Edited by JT!

The bike that jumps out for me is the Specialized Tricross Sport.

This is a true do it all long distance touring style bike. It has drop bars like a road bike but fairly high riding position for comfort and more hand positions that a riser/flat bar so more comfort that way. Slightly thicker tyres and rims than a traditional road bike, while still taking a good pressure and rolling fast they are more comfortable. The gearing is closer to that of a hybrid/mtb than a road bike too so plenty of range with a triple chainset with a more MTB ratio set up to allow it more scope than just pure tarmac roads.

Brilliant bike for the type of person you are talking about, nice a light. I don't think you will get a better bike for the job. About £700 but your local shop can be talked to to get that down.

Specialized Uk Link

Anything you like. I did 1000 miles (John O' Groats - Lands End) on an Orange Zero with 4 gears, a mahusive seatpost, cut slick tyres and a 50 litre backpack (was rough camping the whole way). My girlfriend did it on a £99 Apollo from Halfords with panniers and cut slicks. Sure it would've been much easier on bikes designed for the job but the point is you don't have to.

Dawes audax? Proper mint touring bike, build them now n then at work, really good pannier compatible and everything, nice n speedy.

If you see any mud though its not gunna be brilliant....

dawesaudaxsport.jpg

If not that maybe go for a MTB type frame with a sus fork (or not) and run some like 28c tyres on it. If I remember rightly you can fit 700c wheels in a mtb because the tyres are so skinny.

I'd go for a trek, something like a... 6000 or a 4500 - both under 500

a giant terrago?

or a GT avalanche

GT avalanches are wicked bikes for riding distance on, got one myself, has a really lghtweight feel to it and also feels nice and 'steady?'

They're not expensive either really.

Wow, there's some really terrible ideas in this thread. A GT avalanche?! A cheap XC bike is not the one for long distance.

Firstly, why not a road bike? Will you actually be doing any of this off-road? If not, then I'd say a road bike was the best thing for the job. If you really don't like the idea of flat bars for a long period there are plenty of flat-bar road bikes to choose from. Don't underestimate the usefulness of having then, high pressure tyres. I reckon it makes you at least 20% faster than mountain bike tyres, probably more. Considering that adds up to around 200 miles on your trip, it's definitely something to think about!

That Tricross looks idea to me, but maybe with smaller tyres.

Anything you like. I did 1000 miles (John O' Groats - Lands End) on an Orange Zero with 4 gears, a mahusive seatpost, cut slick tyres and a 50 litre backpack (was rough camping the whole way). My girlfriend did it on a £99 Apollo from Halfords with panniers and cut slicks. Sure it would've been much easier on bikes designed for the job but the point is you don't have to.

Fair play. I don't know which would of been more suitable though. :S

And isn't everybody glad new members aren't allowed here?

ZOO!

:P

What about one of those seated, horizontal bikes. Ok that sounds like a bad description but no idea what they are called... Though 1000 miles might be a bt challenging.

Id say a Road bike or a tourer just need some sort of rack unless your going for a beastly back pack thing.

If its all road suspension is'nt needed the bob will over time lose you energy.