1000 Miles, What Bike?

JT!

I would've thought that a bike with front suspension would be more comfortable and easier to endure riding the long distance on. You can't guarantee the quality of the road surface.

Definately pick a bike that has flat handlebars instead of ones that curl down.

Anything you like. I did 1000 miles (John O' Groats - Lands End) on an Orange Zero with 4 gears, a mahusive seatpost, cut slick tyres and a 50 litre backpack (was rough camping the whole way). My girlfriend did it on a £99 Apollo from Halfords with panniers and cut slicks. Sure it would've been much easier on bikes designed for the job but the point is you don't have to.

Dave Marshall - toughest man on TF.

Wow, there's some really terrible ideas in this thread. A GT avalanche?! A cheap XC bike is not the one for long distance.

Firstly, why not a road bike? Will you actually be doing any of this off-road? If not, then I'd say a road bike was the best thing for the job. If you really don't like the idea of flat bars for a long period there are plenty of flat-bar road bikes to choose from. Don't underestimate the usefulness of having then, high pressure tyres. I reckon it makes you at least 20% faster than mountain bike tyres, probably more. Considering that adds up to around 200 miles on your trip, it's definitely something to think about!

That Tricross looks idea to me, but maybe with smaller tyres.

I just asumed becuase road bikes are designed for 2-3 hours riding at a fast pace they'll have an uncomfortable riding position. Same with drop-down bars. But then again i know very little on the subject, so maybe that would just get him there quicker.

What about one of those seated, horizontal bikes. Ok that sounds like a bad description but no idea what they are called... Though 1000 miles might be a bt challenging.

a recumbent?

We sell carerra road hybrid bikes at halfords they have all the things road bikes have apart from one thing normal bars, now I think sitting up would be more comfy than a racer for the novice bike rider plus you can upgrade it to disc brakes and that bike comes in at 300 quid so its at a good price.

drop down bars may seem strange and uncomfortable but you get three different position of riding. Your normal flat bar position, slightly further forward and on the drops.

Be much better than a flat bar.

depending on what he is carrying with him, tourer or racer for sure.

If luggage is getting transported ahead by car then the racer will prob be a good option - light, fast, different riding positions.

If he is carrying most of luggage with him the tourer will be better - panniers and mudguards all round to carry everything and keep a bag off his back, a more relaxed position than MTB or road bike for the big hills and loaded bike. With three positions to ride in too.

I would look at the tricross, though technically a cross bike so mudguards and panniers fit but won't come with, plus it has slight more aggressive stance the a typical tourer.

Or check the link below, £399, average drivechain, comes with panniers and mudguards, excellent reviews from mags, good solid "buy me and go" bike.

Gel saddle that could be changed to a brooks perhaps.

tourer thats perfect

hope this helps,

Tim

Tektro auxiliary 'frog leg' levers that allow you to apply the brakes from the bar tops with no compromise in stopping power.

That's probably worth having if you want any sort of flat bar time. I can see that using the flat bar might be useful but I never use the flat bar on my road bike because my hands are miles too far from the brakes.

You need to check out the Tour de France or something similar then :P

Well, lets face it. What Lance can do can't be compared to my mate riding from spot to spot and most likely getting pissed each and every night.