Art Exam

Sonny Clarke

Right, i've got this all day art exam tomorrow and friday and to be honest i'm struggly to put pen to paper for ideas.

I have decided to use clay seeing as i'm crap at painting; the subject is barriers and i kind of need to include either mental & physical barriers.

Thanks if anyone replys, would be truely thankful

Make two ambiguous clay men, one much larger than the other, have the large one controlling the smaller like a puppet - use wires etc. Make sure that the small man has no face what so ever, and the big one is fairly expressionless - but has a presence of power. It can be a statement about the bullshit of the common man, how most people are happy to conform, and in essence be controlled. Actually, make the small man as if hes almost smiling, in his oblivious nature. Can be a comment on the false barriers we create as humans, as often people are too scaredf to stand out on their own and make decisions for themselves.

To get an idea of what i mean, check out Design Degree Show and click on my buddies name 'James Batty', hes just created some little men to give you an idea of what i'm talking about.

Make two ambiguous clay men, one much larger than the other, have the large one controlling the smaller like a puppet - use wires etc. Make sure that the small man has no face what so ever, and the big one is fairly expressionless - but has a presence of power. It can be a statement about the bullshit of the common man, how most people are happy to conform, and in essence be controlled. Actually, make the small man as if hes almost smiling, in his oblivious nature. Can be a comment on the false barriers we create as humans, as often people are too scaredf to stand out on their own and make decisions for themselves.

To get an idea of what i mean, check out Design Degree Show and click on my buddies name 'James Batty', hes just created some little men to give you an idea of what i'm talking about.

Sounds good, but difficult, i've not had much experiance with clay. By the sounds of it,you probably think im crap at art! Well i am and i wish i never took it :angry:

Edit: I thougt about somehow incorparting trials but didn't get round to it in the end -_-

Edited by Sonny Clarke

Thats perfect!! You're dispassionate about art? Well f**king put that in to your work. Make art for arts sake - truly be a modern artist. As it comes across you have no real ideas as you dont like the subject ,but the one thing you do feel is dislike - use it, make bullshit art that you yourself hate. Then if anyone likes it, then you've proved your (my) point that art sometimes exist for the sake of doing so and that it has no meaning or message. Modern art is all about the artists statemnt ,make your hatred of art be your statement.

That is one very good post (Y), i would go with his idea, trials related would be to hard.

Only art foundation, but i do art in my own time. From painting to music, to photography to graphic illustration....its what keeps me going.

Not necceserily beat the hell out of it, but use it to represent what you don't like about art. I'm not a faN of clay though, i'd rather go to town on a huge canvas or show it through a photo. But clay is not my forte, don't limit yourself to it if you are not comfortable with it.

Edited by Matthew62

More ideas <_< i'm going to fail miserabley.

Edit: i had a similar idea to that of Matthews that i come up a couple of days ago. A CCTV camera that gets larger and larger towards the lense until it is alot larger than normal; then point it at a small child who is pointing back in confusion.

Edited by Sonny Clarke

Decided to sleep on it, seeing if i had a dream about a perfect design.

Madly i had a few crappy ones, but whats wierd is i was in a supermarket and picked up a bottle of water from the shelf and it was a really plain, ameutur design and the companys was called Danny Kearns? i have never met this chap in my life and my only experiance with him is on here. I think i spend to long on here.

I hope Danny reads this :P His future prospect - Water company!

- A language barrier, not sure how you'd do it in clay though.

- a sort of barrier in love, my friends doing some sort of beauty and the beast thing, but romeo and juliet, that story about the swan who becomes a princess at night or something, shrek and beth and reese (incest) out of hollyoaks could work.

just some ideas friends have had for theres. I reckon choosing clay is limiting yourself a bit though. unless your Reallly good at it i doubt i ll end up looking too good.

Thats perfect!! You're dispassionate about art? Well f**king put that in to your work. Make art for arts sake - truly be a modern artist. As it comes across you have no real ideas as you dont like the subject ,but the one thing you do feel is dislike - use it, make bullshit art that you yourself hate. Then if anyone likes it, then you've proved your (my) point that art sometimes exist for the sake of doing so and that it has no meaning or message. Modern art is all about the artists statemnt ,make your hatred of art be your statement.

That is the biggest amount of shit.. ever.

Hows about a head, trying to squeaze out of a box, and then saying about how its a person trying to brake the barriers, both physically and mentally that society places upon us. 'Trapped in a box' sort of thing?

Shut the f**k up. Who are you to criticise that idea? Art is whatever the artists statement is (well modern art anyway). So if that is his statement then its a legitimate piece of art. Open your mind man - not everyone is going to want such mundane. Also nice idea, its like a less intelligent reworking of my inital idea.

Lets now go and create blatent, cliched worked, that everyone can appreciate, because god forbid anyone tries something new.

I did the Barriers art exam about 2 weeks ago and did makeup ... probably not your choice lol

But you can do different kinds of barriers like sea barriers, city barriers and on the list it even says you can use tickets from trains, concerts etc because they have barriers when you go to them.

Theres also country barriers like passports etc, gardens are also barriers because of hedges.

There is also a good idea of using a window and painting like scenery or something on it =]

Theres loads you can do really,

Hope I helped a bit,

Katie (Davids Girlfriend)

Would art be worth it if there was no critisism though?

This brings into the argument as to what actully is an art. I mean because some bloke uses his nose to push a peanut around london for a day does it make it art? But then as Phil Feeney said in his define this video, can trials be decribed as an art in the same way the dance is an art, under the art of motion?

Im not actully an art student, well i do media studies, but most of my friends are. I was a mates art room the other day and an art teacher (whos a f**king legend) was talking about how he hates the cirriculum and the way it says that you have to do this bit of art, and he hates being a teacher because he doesnt actully get to teach anything, he just relays what the books have told him too. He said art shouldnt be about annotating your work and saying why you done things. If someone asked vincent van goth to annotate his own work he'd proabally tell that person to f**k right off.

Just an interesting thought to put into your project?

The over analysis and intillectualising of a subject is pointless. Hence why on the 30th of this month when if finish my design degree i shall never work like this again. Constsantly justifying your ideas to someones opinion of what is right or wrong? Of course we should always be allowed and open to criticism, but the constant justification of an idea? Why? the only reason i can see for analysis, critiquing and evaluation is to make a way of prodcuing money from an idea, that it is financially viable - that is what destroys good art and design.