A Warning To Those Who Enjoy "tombstoning"

JonMack

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7398041.stm

"He plunged about 9m (30ft) into 1m (3ft) of water and hit the bottom, causing severe neck and head injuries."

I don't wanna be an old man about it but living in a seaside town i see plenty of people doing it off the rocks around Weston and have always thought it was stupid, but this has just backed up my point.

I don't know the kid, but it's still not a good position to be in.

Sorry if I sound preachy, but...

If you're stupid enough to do it you've got it coming. I hate to sound heartless, but honestly what do they expect? The depth of the water is just one of those things you think to check. I've jumped off huge rocks into the sea hundreds of times just like any other kid, but I take the time to think 'are there any jagged rocks down there that will cripple me indefinitely or perhaps cause death?' before I take the leap. I'd expect any human being with enough common sense to reach their teenage years to do the same.

coming from portsmouth i know exactly where it was. he was actually told it wasnt deep enough by several of his friends beforehand so he did get what was coming to him. not meaning to sound harsh though.

loads of use used to jump round southsea, mainy camber dock which you probable visited when riding portsmouth but even at low tide it was still safe because docks are usually 4m+ even at the shallowest of tides. i have seen people jump round tower, pompey poeple will know how stupid and mindless this is, its the entrance to the harbour with currents going all over the place and rocks at the landing but amazingly ive never seen anyone hurt there. its just about using your common sense and knowing how far your jumping and how deep the water is. but there is still always a danger there but just don't be stupid and you'll be fine.

I've done it loads of times, but you start from the water surely! You swim out, check the depth, climb up the cliff then wizz back down, and repeat going higher and higher.

Try and make sure you do it as the tide is coming in, then it gets deeper and deeper as you go higher and higher, not shallower as you go higher, which isn't good.

It's one of them things that goes without saying really. Anybody who's dumb enough to do that after being told is clearly not going to listen and go ahead with it anyway. I'm suprised his mates didn't stop him. 30' into 3' of water?!

30' into 3' of water?!

Ridiculous.

What an absurd idea. I can see how its fun, though. Continuing the trend though, I REALLY would've thought you'd check the deepness of the water. And you're really not clever if you don't listen to people telling you that where you want to do it is suicide.

Yeah that was the evening of the DJ Ride, there was a few of us wandering the streets nearby in search of beer and BBQ food when we heard the sirens. Didn't take a look though.

Earlier that day we saw some kids doing it at the Saluting Platform, aka Hot Walls.

It's an insane place to do it, anyone who has seen it knows it's about 30ft high with a solid stone base under the water. The water very rarely gets high enough to even be able sto swim down there let alone jump off it, the only those kids could do it was by taking a massive run up and hope they landed far out enough to avoid hitting this stone ledge under the water. Eejits.

Earlier that day we saw some kids doing it at the Saluting Platform, aka Hot Walls.

It's an insane place to do it, anyone who has seen it knows it's about 30ft high with a solid stone base under the water. The water very rarely gets high enough to even be able sto swim down there let alone jump off it, the only those kids could do it was by taking a massive run up and hope they landed far out enough to avoid hitting this stone ledge under the water. Eejits.

ive done it plenty of times and seen many people dive off it, its plenty deep enough after the ledge even at low tide but you really have to clear the ledge, which when you consider the drop aswell isnt that hard, just a nice run up and your fine, the worst bit was getting back to the pier and climbing up it, my god you got soo cold doing that.

I've done it loads of times, but you start from the water surely! You swim out, check the depth, climb up the cliff then wizz back down, and repeat going higher and higher.

Try and make sure you do it as the tide is coming in, then it gets deeper and deeper as you go higher and higher, not shallower as you go higher, which isn't good.

muels right i always go from the water aswell. and i've done 20m (well scary) the water would have been well over 6 m deep though and i saw a conga eel when i was under.

up to 10 meters you can just jump anything after that you should pin/dive (if your brave) aslong as you check the depth and don't do it alone then really it's no where near as dangerous as the press make out.

We do it loads if we drive out to lagoons. A day of barbecuing and footie an stuff at the top of a quite lagoon just jumping in whenever you want = amazing. But like said you just gotta not be stupid about it :S I feel sorry for him but it sounds like he was just trying to show off and being a mug.

LMAO! this is where it gets its name from!

in tombstoning ur not spose to check the depth of the water thts the gamble otherwise its just diving i guess

although youd have o be a complete TW@ to do it

How can people be saying they don't have sympathy. This poor lad has made a stupid mistake, everyone makes stupid mistakes just the majority of us get away with thinking to ourselves 'dont do that again'. This guys gota live with his for the rest of his life, going to the toilet, having a wash has all got to be done by carer. Not to mention he won't have a life or his own family.

Ive done similar, jumping off 1 peir, moved across to the other pier, climbed on the back of a lorry adding to the height of the peir and did a massive swan dive... turned out the water was between knee and hip height with a concrete ledge, i was lucky, chipped tooth scratched nose and a cut all down my arm which has left a small scar. I would have guarentted i knew that place, id been there all summer seen it low and high tide but must have just misjudged it. Also got caught out before back flipping off of it jumped up and not out, that was close, thing is hit your head, knock yourself out... dead.... no one will find you in the mist of the Thames. Tragic that he got so badly hurt, lucky to get out alive i suppose

How can people be saying they don't have sympathy. This poor lad has made a stupid mistake, everyone makes stupid mistakes just the majority of us get away with thinking to ourselves 'dont do that again'. This guys gota live with his for the rest of his life, going to the toilet, having a wash has all got to be done by carer. Not to mention he won't have a life or his own family.

There are mistakes, and then there's ignoring your concience and the advice of friends and safety officials on top of immeasurable previous examples. I can honestly say I have no sympathy. He was told by several people and did it anyway.

safety officials

Its standard practice though. The lifeguards used to come out to us and say.... *mumble* "If you break your f**king necks dont come running to us" But i guess ours was different cos the max jump you could make without breaking your neck at low tide was only 4-5 metres

Yeah that was the evening of the DJ Ride, there was a few of us wandering the streets nearby in search of beer and BBQ food when we heard the sirens. Didn't take a look though.

I remember seeing those guys there aswell, and the helicopter going over. Scary thought really.

Its standard practice though. The lifeguards used to come out to us and say.... *mumble* "If you break your necks dont come running to us"

Am I the only one who thinks the choice of words there is a little bit comical in the given situation?

I have to say I'm with you on that one Scopse. I once threw myself out of a window thinking I was gonna land and roll and be perfectly fine; broke both ankles, nearly cost me being ever able to ride a bike again. Just the other day in Bristol, six of us moving one of the big sleepers down by the lockgates: Craig (craigjames on here) had his foot six inches too far forwards when we dropped it, broken cuboid, out for six weeks during some really nice weather. We (me and craig) are lucky enough I think to have had incidents like that were you sit down and think, "Now that was really f**king stupid, and I'm sat here bored out of my skull and really want to go ride, next time I'm in a situation like this, I'm gonna think a little bit more." This poor lad didn't get that chance, and he doesn't get six weeks out, he gets his (pretty much) whole life taken.

NB: In breaking Craig's foot, it kind of sounds like I'm saying it was all his fault, but rest assured it was a proper team effort in outstanding stupidity on that one.

Rich