A Warning To Those Who Enjoy "tombstoning"

JonMack

No offense mate, but when did jumping out of a window ever seem like a good idea? :blink:

Saying that i'm no better, I did once climb three stories worth of scafolding onto the roof of a house at uni while drunk. That could have ended quite badly.

I've just read that back, what a hipocrite I am! lol

NB: In breaking Craig's foot, it kind of sounds like I'm saying it was all his fault, but rest assured it was a proper team effort in outstanding stupidity on that one.

I dunno, if I'm moving something heavy, I'm going to make damn sure MY feet are out of the way. I might worry about other people afterwards.

Still, whoever's fault it is, it's an accident and it sucks to be out for a good portion of the summer :(

Thats weird same thing happened at a beach just 20mins from my house in cornwall otherday i was at the same beach day later and day before

same thing he jumped 25th to 3ft of water.

I know the jump well that he did and i am sorry no affence to anyone but all i can say it "twat"

The tide wasnt high enogth and there was no point in doing the jump.

Only jump if you know its save he must have swam in the water or somthing to get to it before jumping he must have known.

I am sorry but its fine if you know what you are doing.

Theres a quarry i do it at every year the same one in the travis why does it always rain on me video and its about 30ft if not a bit more but perfectly save as its a constant depth.

Tidel jumps i have never done unless checked it out before.

This people need to sort out some common sense

It's really sad :( I didn't know what the helicopters were about on the DJ Ride, but it's really sad think at the beginning of that ride, the bloke was still okay.

Now I know the doctors say he won't walk again, but my thoughts are with him right now, as I can't imagine what he thinks is going on, and how his family feel.

I do hope he can walk again.

Edited by Hendrix

Thats weird same thing happened at a beach just 20mins from my house in cornwall otherday i was at the same beach day later and day before

same thing he jumped 25th to 3ft of water.

I know the jump well that he did and i am sorry no affence to anyone but all i can say it "twat"

The tide wasnt high enogth and there was no point in doing the jump.

Where abouts was that? I know that area pretty well, Grew up in Millbrook. I remember when I was about 9 or 10 there was a guy down there who'd broken his neck doing it, he must have been in his late teens (18-19) and had to wear one of those cages around his head. Apparently he did a jump he knew well and there was a shopping trolley on the bottom which he hit.

I've done it off piers in the isles of scilly but down there the waters so clear you can just take a look at how deep it is and whats down there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7398041.stm

"He plunged about 9m (30ft) into 1m (3ft) of water and hit the bottom, causing severe neck and head injuries."

I don't wanna be an old man about it but living in a seaside town i see plenty of people doing it off the rocks around Weston and have always thought it was stupid, but this has just backed up my point.

I don't know the kid, but it's still not a good position to be in.

Sorry if I sound preachy, but...

Stupid mug :S got what he deserves :lol: . you dont need to be a rocket scientist to know the consequences of jumping into shallow water at such a height :-

Proper preparation prevents...

I think we need to be careful outright condemning tomb-stoning. Remember, people have severely maimed themselves riding bikes - obvious example Stephen Murray. We choose to take risks in life, and must accept the consequences. In this case, these guys obviously didn't do their research. So I don't think we should say tombstoning shouldn't be done, just that you should look before you leap. Last weekend, before the fog came in, I was going to do some solo cliff climbing, after making sure there was plenty of water to catch my fall and no waves about to suck it all away at the last minute.

Just remember, a badly timed chain snap on a big gap could cost you your neck...

Proper preparation prevents...

Just remember, a badly timed chain snap on a big gap could cost you your neck...

but we dont check our hubs and chains to check it won't skip do we, and we cant so your point is pretty flawed

yeah just like he never checked the depth of the water. so if you never noticed that you had a damaged link in your chain then did a gap, fell, could never walk again, would you expect sympathy?

some people crash cars because they don't notice there tyre is damaged, some people fall off bikes because they don't notice a patch of diesel on the road and some people jump off cliffs into water and hurt themselves because they don't know how deep it is. They all deserve sympathy. did you never dive into the shallow end of the pool when you were a kid? you knew it was called the shallow end for a reason but just did it anyway.

Edited by G4vyn

i was mainly talking about hub skips because you cant predict them, if you could people would check to save their faces, and chains can be pretty hard to spot if theyre dodgey. but checking the water is something he should have done and could have done extremely easily which would have saved him, besided he was told to check because hhis friends were fairly sure it wasnt deep enough- im not saying he deserved it but he was told to check first and didnt. that was asking for it

but we dont check our hubs and chains to check it won't skip do we, and we cant so your point is pretty flawed

To be fair, checking hubs is slightly different to jumping 30ft into water...

You might hurt your face on a bike, but probably wont die.

I remember seeing a load of lads doing it on the day this happened.

They had to jump out around 3m otherwise the water level was only about 2-3ft.... I think he obviously didnt jump out far enough..

And rich the first time that helicopter flew over, it wasnt for this because they were all waving at people...

I dunno, if I'm moving something heavy, I'm going to make damn sure MY feet are out of the way. I might worry about other people afterwards.

Still, whoever's fault it is, it's an accident and it sucks to be out for a good portion of the summer :(

Nah, this was group of men (which I include myself in) who acted like kids, not thinking anywhere near far ahead enough of what the consequenses might have been. I'm feeling pretty guilty now just having both my feet flat on the floor.

I do.

Rich

cos the max jump you could make without breaking your neck at low tide was only 4-5 metres

You don't have to jump from a height to break your neck, you could do a metre dive and still break your neck depending on how you it.

Even if the water is deep enough if you hit the surface of the water incorrectly then your stuffed.