Obm's New Proto...

Mark W

I'll just bend my broken spokes out so they rattle on the frame.

This bike needs so much work, haha. Bought it for £40 thinking it was fine, but it needs:

New cranks.

New BB.

New forks.

New headset.

New stem.

New back wheel.

Downer.

Random-other-bike-photo:

tierraleftqw8.jpg

f**k!!!

riding that, oh my god SCARY

Yeah the "fixie guy" at my Uni nearly ha a spectacular crash when he was slowing down and the rear end decided it wanted to go in a different direction...

Yet strangely, I still want one!

Argh!! My eyes!! What the hell is it?!! Looks like one of those crazy fixie bukes you see chinese women riding in circles doing wheels while doing handstands... Headset looks healthy though... and saddle angle looks a little questionable. Interesting...!

Yeah, the headset's the worst part about it. I was told it needed a new headset, but it actually needed a new fork. It's 1" threaded, and the threads don't go down the fork steerer far enough for me to tighten it, so I've got a cone nut-in-a-cone nut setup going on so it goes down and tightens it. You can loose and tighten it easily by hand, it's shaaaade.

The seat angle works. The bars are low so you're leaning forward a lot, and with it at that angle I can pedal hard enough without getting f**ked about by the seat. Did 5.5 miles in 10 mins on it a few nights ago, including stopping at red lights on the way.

I'll but that BMX off you??

No you won't ;)

running it fixed wheel?

Sure am :)

Mark " i don't like scene colors "

rofl, wait till mat see's this mark :P

She's pretty hot though (:

The BMX or the fixie? If it's the fixie, those are the colours it was when I bought it, minus the front rim which I had to buy 'cos the previous owner had butchered the front rim on it. You should've seen the red bar tape too ;)

i reckon that'd give me a bad back :ermm:

surely it's "rideable"...makes it more interesting if its on the limit i reckon...something to talk about!

Yeah, I've ridden it loads, it's just well dicey, haha. It doesn't give you backache in that position either, if you're my height :)

Yeah the "fixie guy" at my Uni nearly ha a spectacular crash when he was slowing down and the rear end decided it wanted to go in a different direction...

Yet strangely, I still want one!

Skids are for kids ;) There's this sorta myth in the fixie world that to slow down fast you need to skid, whereas you don't. When F1 cars are going into corners, they don't lock up their wheels, in fact it's considered bad to do so. So yeah, I don't either. The fact I run 48:16 and no clips mean I'd have to be a bit of a hero to skid it anyway, but still. They're just nice to ride.

The seat angle works. The bars are low so you're leaning forward a lot, and with it at that angle I can pedal hard enough without getting f**ked about by the seat. Did 5.5 miles in 10 mins on it a few nights ago, including stopping at red lights on the way.

TF tape measure stopwatch in action here? 33mph average? ;)

Also that fixie is sketch as f**k. No brakes + flat pedals = asking for trouble.

• 2 weeks later...
It better not have tubeless tyres.

It doesn't.

TF tape measure stopwatch in action here? 33mph average? ;)

48:16 is pretty fast. I was over-taking cars the entire time, and although they wouldn't necessarily have been going 30mph, they weren't really going slowly. Bear in mind it was also long, flat, straight stretches of road.

Riding it in the wet makes no difference. Because you're constantly either putting pressure to go round on the pedals, or to slow them down, you don't really slip the pedals at all. I don't think in the entire time I've ridden that fixie that I've slipped the pedals, apart from on the shitty £3.50 pedals it came with. DMR V12s = epic win.

Looking at it now, that bike looks horribly set up.

I think you could do alot better for £40.

Feel free to find me a fixie for £40 with a better spec and I'll happily buy it.