Inspired Seat Material...

Inspired Dave

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which material for an Inspired seat..

• Full Kevlar material
    • Full embossed/pattern material
    • Embossed main, Kevlar edges

Hey guys, as some of you may have seen, there's a handful of prototype Inspired seats floating around on various sponsored rider's bikes. Styling wise I'm super happy with them, but material choise wise I want people's feedback. Maybe I like the material as is now, maybe I don't, I'm not saying! hehe.

So, would people prefer:

Full kevlar covering (the super durable fabric-y material).

Full embossed pattern on immitation leather (as prototypes).

seat-logo.jpg

Embossed pattern immitation leather with Kevlar back/corner strip.

half-half-seat.jpg

Options with the Kevlar will give better wear resistance, but does it compromise looks too much? The embossed material definitely isn't flimsy, but from a pure durability point of view, the Kevlar would take it.

All thoughts regarding the material are more than welcome!

Thanks for all your help guys!!

First one aesthetically is far superiour, second as you say is more durable...its always going to be a compromise. As 24'' riders are victoms of fashion i'd say the first one defently.

However you could make both available to allow the rider to choose at purchase, but i imagine that comes at an added expense to you?

So just go fo rthe first one, the fact people ride magnesium bike, try-all rims and other not so durable items for there styling gives an impression of the trials market...

Pasley is always fun to.

Go for the first one, I have had my macneil seat (immitation leather and no kevlar) on my 24'' for over a year now and there is hardly a mark on it and you what I am like.

The embossed one for certain - its got a unique appearance which really makes it stand out. The kevlar edged one just looks like any other run of the mill BMX seat you can pick up everywhere.

The kevlar edged one is a bmx one (FBM), I think Dave was just using as an example and the actual seat would look like the first one, but with kevlar. Is that right?

Cough, cough.... expected price and avilability date? You gotta give me something to hang on to man! I now look at my current saddle with disgust as if she was an old girlfried i was tired of who had been bloewn out of the water by the new sexy girl at the office....if you know what i mean?

Edited by Matthew62

The kevlar edged one is a bmx one (FBM), I think Dave was just using as an example and the actual seat would look like the first one, but with kevlar. Is that right?

Oops. My bad. But I still stand by what I said - the kevlar version would still be a pretty commonplace design. The embossed one's the way to go.

How likely is it to land on the rear part of the saddle if dropped though? The back of my saddle on my inspired sits just below the top of the tyre and thats with a standard seat/post, with a fully slammed combo its going to be much lower and out of the way. So i'm not sure its too much of an issue anyway.

How likely is it to land on the rear part of the saddle if dropped though? The back of my saddle on my inspired sits just below the top of the tyre and thats with a standard seat/post, with a fully slammed combo its going to be much lower and out of the way. So i'm not sure its too much of an issue anyway.

o i might have miss understood, i thought it was going to have kevlar edges ALL the way around ?

Even if it did, I still doubt it'd get hit by much. Cranks + pedals + tyres would pretty well stop that if it's slammed on a trials bike. People still run kevlar edges in BMX 'cos some people raise their seats up more, so they're more in the firing line.

I reckon still with the all over pattern, it just looks nicer, basically.

Everyone else - if you're looking for an RRP, just look for the RRP of most Macneil/Pivotal SL seats and it should be around that, I'd have thought.

Thanks a lot for all the feedback and comments guys, really appreciate it! :) It's made my decision easier for definite!

Price wise, as Mark said, it should be around the same price area as the BMX offerings from MacNeil etc. As for the seatpost, same thing applies really :).

I'll post up information (either here, www.inspiredbicycles.com or www.myspace.com/inspiredbicycles) regarding release date etc as soon as I can.

Once again, thanks a lot for all your comments!

Dave

Two things I thought of after looking at Dave Marshall's ride:

1) That grey rim around the back of the seat - could that be black? Or white even?! I think that would look better.

2) There's a bit of a lump in the middle of the seat where that logo is (not the Inspired one, the other one).

P.S. What is that logo?

I'll take this one if that's ok... :)

1) That grey rim around the back of the seat - could that be black? Or white even?! I think that would look better.

It is white. It's just in shadow. There's also a small 'bumper' under the nose which is also white.

2) There's a bit of a lump in the middle of the seat where that logo is (not the Inspired one, the other one).

P.S. What is that logo?

The lump is a slotted rubber flap, which allows access to the bolt beneath it which attaches the seat to the post. The logo says 'Pivotal' and is for the patented 'pivotal' design which Macneil produced a couple of years back and own the rights to.

Hope that answers your questions (Y)

Pics:

Whiteness

combo4tj1.jpg

Grey bit

combo5qp8.jpg

Edit: Also, here's a pic from underneath the seat for anyone who's unfamiliar with the pivotal system. Minimalist, functional, sweeet! :D

seatpost-close-under.jpg