Tensile Tensioner 08?

The Stig

Right guys out on a ride today and my new tensioner was doing a great job but still a bit slack so (mowgli) and i sorted the tension out, great did the job really well. Prawn comes along and due to it being a new design thought he would have a look, fair enough!? No! He puts the tiniest amount of more tension and bing goes the spring??? What the hell?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Whats the warranty issue on it?

P.s Is this no way shape or form a dig at Prawn he is a top guy, or Trials-Uk ;)

Anyway i will have to wait till either Dan ko reads this post or i can contact him on monday.

All i want is to know if anyone else has had the same problem??

Tom

Edited by Boss

Ohhh thats not good! i just brought one aswell!

when i fit it i will let you know how it goes! :)

Mate i am soo annoyed lol but yeah see what Trials-uk say. I can't afford to spunk £30 quid away! Good luck with yours.

Ohhh thats not good! i just brought one aswell!

when i fit it i will let you know how it goes! :)

Just don't overtighten it? If it's at the correct tension (Like it was), then don't "add another turn" or whatever and snap the spring...

Just don't overtighten it? If it's at the correct tension (Like it was), then don't "add another turn" or whatever and snap the spring...

We didn't overtighten it, (read the thread?) Pulling it a couple of mil does not/ well shouldn't snap a spring..... to be honest if thats how strong it is should it be on a tensioner? (think about the tension riding puts it under)

did i go on the bend, where the end of the spring inserts into the body of the tensioner? if so its the same design fault as the nc17 stinger tensioners, ive had 3 springs break on me, they may use the same springs....?

Yes it did mate bit of a f**ker :(

Edited by Boss

Sorry, yeah, I meant "overtension" it, which, if it was at the correct tension and Prawn added more, it did? That's just going from your first post, anyway. If I read it wrong, apologies...

I know where your coming from but if a tensioner has been tensioned right there should always be some movement and if it is gonna snapped due to a bit of force on it imagine what it would of done when riding?

to be honest If it is gonna snap that easily and not say bend? Then surely the metal is not strong enough ??

i am just speculating but meh not too pleased either way..

its the design of the springs all the force is put through the elbow bend of the spring where it goes into the tensioner body. i run my chain slacker than most (never had an issue with a chain skipping or snapping) but sitlll ive snapped a few springs. i know it doesnt help you but nc17 are changing the springs for a stronger type for the new model and their warranty has been great.

onza should do the same for you i imagine. what size rear cog are you running?

onza should do the same for you i imagine. what size rear cog are you running?

15 tooth, oh and i have just realised that i should of got free nipple with my white viz spokes, and they are definately not double butted according to some friends and i........ Hmmmmmm

VIZ Rear White Spokes

Features:

- High quality spokes from VIZ

- Double butted - Lighter without loosing strength

- Specially designed to built the VIZ Rims and Hubs

- Steel construction

- Each set comes with a full set of nipples

- 14G thread head

- Powdered coated white finish

I blame Prawn.

Me too :Plol naaa wasn't his fault....

Edited by Boss

if its the short arm version then its supposed to be run with 14t cogs and under....... i know dan doesnt have this in the trials-uk description of it, its on the the tarty site and im sure thats what onza said it was designed to be run with. probs said it somewhere in the installation instructions.......

if its the short arm version then its supposed to be run with 14t cogs and under....... i know dan doesnt have this in the trials-uk description of it, its on the the tarty site and im sure thats what onza said it was designed to be run with. probs said it somewhere in the installation instructions.......

How can these things be sorted without this information ?? lol is it a trials-uk warranty or onza problem??

There was none given just the tensioner in bubble wrap!! seemed weird to me :S

EDIT: Just looked for Onzas site :S erm Feb 2006 is a bit out of date haha so i am guessing finding out about warranty will be hard lol

Edited by Boss

moore large are the uk distributor for onza/tensile, but you'll have to go through trials-uk because they are the retailer. shouldnt be too hard to sort, but query what cog they can be run with when you phone up dan. really the info should be on the site, not having a go at dan here as he's been great when ive spoken to him; but the info should be on the site. onza (trials-uk) may have the mid and long arm versions out soon and may swap it out for you as this info wasnt provided at the time of sale..... its not really your fault, but the tensioner isnt deesigned to be run with a cog that size, so to gain the extra clearance needed you'll be putting the spring under more tension than it was designed for. i queried this with nc17 when i rang up the second time but they dont have a maximum cog size and im running mine on an 18t!

Edited by craigjames

the easiest way, albeit a lil crude is compare the length of the top arm on your tensioner to the one in the image on the tarty website. should give you a rough idea. i imagine its a short one though. as they say may probably means june or july :P

why what did they actually say? least you're getting a refund.

Might not get that, he was happy for a replacement to be given...... But obviously mine doesn't run on that (he says there was no false information given so he is in the right) MAYBE HE IS MAYBE NOTPlus i recieved no "free nipples from my other order" And the spokes are not double butted like he states. He offered me a Yess tensioner, which i am told is crap, plus £5 voucher. Right so how about upgrading me to a Rolohoff for the trouble? Nope a 10% discount on it and the fiver still leaves me paying a £13 excess. I think it is a reasonable request for a fairly large f**k up, i know it's petty but i believe in compensation and a tensioner for an extra £25 is worth it for future sales? Tell me if i am being a cock? I feel kinda cheated, maybe not? but i have just said i expect a refund and postage paid for when i send it back, i will go elsewhere.

you are being a cock, he could say you weren't a professional mechanic + didn't fit it properly, tell you to f**k off, etc. be happy with the refund + possible discount on a rohloff..

you are being a cock, he could say you weren't a professional mechanic + didn't fit it properly, tell you to f**k off, etc. be happy with the refund + possible discount on a rohloff..

He could, what does being a mechanic have to do with it? There was no instruction manual (even a mechanic couldn't fit it "correctly without an instruction manual), and was falsely sold to me?

Edited by Boss

He could, what does being a mechanic have to do with it? There was no instruction manual (even a mechanic couldn't fit it "correctly without an instruction manual), and was falsely sold to me?

i was assuming it was, like most bike parts covered by the "must be installed by a professional" line. he gave you a refund, so it's all gravy, your not injured + nothing else is broken.

right he hasnt given false info regards the tensioner but he has ommited info that is essential to you making the right purchase, that is his cock up. regards the tensioner http://www.berr.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html check out question 9 towards the bottom, you can read the whole article if you want its good to know your rights. Depending on how long you've had it you are entitled to a refund if not an exchange and as he has given, compensation as the next available item that is fit for purpose is of a greater cost.

With the spokes, i'd take a screen shot of the item description as proof, its blatant mis-guidance and false advertising. He really should sort that out for you.

Be firm but not rude, no one wants to help a rude customer, no matter how badly the have been reprisented.

I'm not saying any of Dan's website issues are directly his fault, when ive spoken to him and when i met him, he seemed a genuinely nice bloke. But for customer service sakes he should sort this properly as none of this is your fault.

I could try and argue my point but it's how i feel :blink: Weird i know but i feel like the service is poor and i have been kinda cheated as i still need to pay for a tensioner which i can't afford, i understand he could just turn around and say replacement but hey.....

Thanks for that. So i am not being unreasonable to an extent? And i know this is no personal vendetta against him but i belive he should be doing more as the company. He is a nice bloke no doubt about that. This is the second (more serious) website issue i have had with stock being shown but actually being out of stock but that was excellent service as he got em sent straight from heatsink (Y) but yeah ssee what happens?