Gap & Sidehop Technique Help Needed + Clips To Analyse

Phil H

u look realy cramped and im guessing your bikes not set up right for you , it looks like u need more engagements in your hub and your in the wrong gear , i may be wrong but thats the impression i get . try not to throw the bike and be smoother , try watching a neil tunnicliff video as he uses a similar style to you and maybe you could adapt his .

For the gap learn to pinch of the edge, also you look really cramped on that bike maybe get a longer stem.

Hmm yeah, have been considering learning it but I find on something that low the bike pushes down and hits the floor before coming up.

Yeah I see what you mean about the stem, will change it tomorrow or something.

CHeers mate

Phil

Hi buddy, it looks like for your gapping, it would benefit you to hop to the edge and take off from the corner, that will give you more distance.

As for the sidehopping, I cant'e really see that your doing anything wrong. If you could go more to both wheels, than front, then that would help you get more height.

Hope these can help. If you still want further help, then when your next out on a ride, ask other rider's if they can help you.

u look realy cramped and im guessing your bikes not set up right for you , it looks like u need more engagements in your hub and your in the wrong gear , i may be wrong but thats the impression i get . try not to throw the bike and be smoother , try watching a neil tunnicliff video as he uses a similar style to you and maybe you could adapt his .

hmmm yeah will try a different stem.

Its a mono Ti (classic!) I could really do with a pro 2 I know. The gear is 22:18, never used anything else, love it. What would you reccommend?

Cheers, Phil

Hi buddy, it looks like for your gapping, it would benefit you to hop to the edge and take off from the corner, that will give you more distance.

As for the sidehopping, I cant'e really see that your doing anything wrong. If you could go more to both wheels, than front, then that would help you get more height.

Hope these can help. If you still want further help, then when your next out on a ride, ask other rider's if they can help you.

Yeah, will definetly work on pinching it tomorrow if the weather is ok (Y)

On the sidehops it's really strange, can never go to two as I just feel out of control, but if I get the front on first I know the back is safe. (if that makes sense)

Would ask for help but local riders have gone from 5 to 1 (being me) in the last 6 months!

Vids are sick btw!

Cheers for the feedback

Phil

I'm sorry but wathcing a Tunni vid isn't really gonna help. Yes you can see his technique, but he is gapping huge and sidehopping huge. Everyone has a different technique, and you have to find your's. Watching other people and listening to toher peoples input helps, but only if its using your current technique and improving it.

As for not enough hub engagements, thats a load of crap. You don't need a chris king or eno to sidehop/gap high or far. If running a shimano hub or something with a small amount engagements then all it takes is a bit of rtime to find your engagement before you kick.

On the sidehops it's really strange, can never go to two as I just feel out of control, but if I get the front on first I know the back is safe. (if that makes sense)

Would ask for help but local riders have gone from 5 to 1 (being me) in the last 6 months!

I'm the same, I find it hard going to two wheels at times. Its more comfortable and easier for me to go to front that two, but if you stick at it you'll finally get it, sometimes it does just take time.

That sucks about being the only rider. I dunno where your from, But I know that there are rider along the souith coast, Southampton, Eastleigh, Winchester, Worthing, Reading, Woking. If you don't already, you should go to some of the rides you'll see in Rides/Locations. It's amazing how much you actually pick up from other rider's from just riding with them.

I'm the same, I find it hard going to two wheels at times. Its more comfortable and easier for me to go to front that two, but if you stick at it you'll finally get it, sometimes it does just take time.

That sucks about being the only rider. I dunno where your from, But I know that there are rider along the souith coast, Southampton, Eastleigh, Winchester, Worthing, Reading, Woking. If you don't already, you should go to some of the rides you'll see in Rides/Locations. It's amazing how much you actually pick up from other rider's from just riding with them.

Yeah man will work on it.

Live in Fleet (near farnborough, 15min train from Basingstoke) can easily get into Reading and Woking, will be well up for rides after exams (Y)

Will check the rides sections.

Phil

You have to learn it by feel, but I always found I tried lifting up more than usual if I did it from pinching the corner, instead of just kicking the back end forward. It kinda takes care of it itself in that sense, you just lift up hard and it flies forwards.

There's a sidehop and gap thing in the Wiki I did bloody years ago that might help.

Can someone explain to me how pinch gapping makes you gap ferther? and how the hell do you learn to pinch gap as when i try it i destroy my legs on bars as the hole bike just kicks away and i really want to learn how to tomorow

You kick off the edge, but you don't just kick, you use your upper body to lift the bike up, thus causing you to drop down to your gap instead of just kicking across, which allows you to gap further. The only rider's that don't lift when gap, are the one's that have exceptional power in their kick/drive, so they don't need ot lift.

Hope that helps Ryan.

Even if you can kick like a donkey you'd probably be better off learning the pinch technique, just 'cos it puts less pressure on your drivetrain so you're less likely to get mullered by the dreaded chain snap ;)

Even if you can kick like a donkey you'd probably be better off learning the pinch technique, just 'cos it puts less pressure on your drivetrain so you're less likely to get mullered by the dreaded chain snap ;)

I think the rider's with the power to use the pinch technique, just don't lift so much. I'm thinking of rider's like Tunni, Stan Shaw those sort of rider's. I lift when I pinch gap. Otherwise I too hit my thighs on my bars, smae when I'm tapping. If hit my thighs on my bars, I know my technique isn't right. Kinda makes sense, lol.

Well it depends on your ability. When I kick harder, its because i'm pushing my limits. I gap static just under 9ft, I use the pinch technique and I lift my bike. but for that distance I do tend to kick a bit harder. It's practice really. You'll gradually improve more, and you'll find things will become easier, so you try bigger things, and so on.

id be proud if i could do gaps like that, it seems quite a power one, you landed right on the position to backhop again, ie if it were a railing you would hold it. if you could keep all your gaps like that then i wouldnt change anything

Cheers! Brightened my mood.

Phil

Well it depends on your ability. When I kick harder, its because i'm pushing my limits. I gap static just under 9ft, I use the pinch technique and I lift my bike. but for that distance I do tend to kick a bit harder. It's practice really. You'll gradually improve more, and you'll find things will become easier, so you try bigger things, and so on.

Would be awesome if you could put up a flat pallet to pallet clip of your gapping if you had a chance sometime (Y)

Phil