Mod To Stock

Currently I ride an 06 zoo! python, which is an absolute beast of a bike.

I always enjoy watching stock videos, and only a certain few mod(depending on the mod riders style).

So i figured, i may as well switch stock.

1.Would this be too difficult, as the frame would be too big as to what I'm used to?

2.Should i get a mod-stock or just stock?

3.Anyone got any recommendations for decent bikes?

Thanks.

Nathan

Edited by nathan_swindon

Go Stock it will be a decision will never regret..... It might be hard at first but you will learn to love it like most if not all do. As for bike something with a medium BB like the 07 Adamnt a1. As far as mo stock goes i have never ridden one so i could not help you there!! Anyway DO IT :)

Tom

Currently I ride an 06 zoo! python, which is an absolute beast of a bike.

I always enjoy watching stock videos, and only a certain few mod(depending on the mod riders style).

So i figured, i may as well switch stock.

1.Would this be too difficult, as the frame would be too big as to what I'm used to?

2.Should i get a mod-stock or just stock?

3.Anyone got any recommendations for decent bikes?

Thanks.

Nathan

Found some information for you on mod and stock differences. Some is quite irrelevant but some may be useful to you. The url is:

http://biketrials.com/tech/index.shtml

I also found another website link, with a beginner deciding on which to go for. Seems relevant in some ways.

http://archive.mtbr.com/19/0EE9CFAD.php

And finnaly a youtube link, Enjoy :)

Edited by JoshW

i went from mod to stock this time last year, improved my confidence loads, my riding didn't actually drop in standard. but 6months of inconsistant riding has turned me shit :( you'll find stocks are more forgiving on ups + rails [larger "sweet spot" to land on] although you loose that whippy-flicky feeling, stocks are just more stable. do it :) but expect to suck at first :P

I switched from mod to stock a few years back, i found it the best decision of my trials career. Everything seems loads smaller and i just seemed to improves at 3x the rate i did on a mod, weather it was a phsycological block in sense of progression i dont know, either way round i got better !

I would also recommend a lower bb bike to start off with, i started with a pure and it got me far. Hope this has helped.

Thanks,

Mike.

I swapped from stock to mod and back and then back to mod and I'm now currently back on stock. I originally changed to mod, as I was bored of stock and enjoyed riding my mates mod's. I'm sticking to stock as I have found that I can do alot more on a stock than a mod.

It's entirely upto you if you change or not, as it's yourself that will be riding the bike. So make sure it's something you definately want to do. If you can, have ago on a few other people's stock's, you'll be able to get a feel for the different geometry compared to the mod, and if you decide to go to stock, it will give you an idea of what you want. If you try other people's then your not going in blind (so to speak).

When you first move to a stock from a mod, everything feels completely different and weird. In a few hours it all starts feeling natural. Its like everything, you have to get used to something when it's new.

Mod-Stock have there advantages, for example, no Derailleur or mech hanger to break, yet, there's only a limited amount of hubs that can be used.

Now, if you went for Stock, as in 135mm spaced hubs, there's a massive range of hubs out there to choose from, it would seem, the Hope Pro II Trials is by far the best value for money, with the majority of the stock trials scene running them, they can't be half bad. There's also the Chris King hub, which is also massivly used in the Bike-Trials scene. Both of which, can be purchased at Tartybikes.

As for bike reccomendations. Once again we have the decision of high bb or low bb. With you currently been a mod rider, a high BB stock might be to your advantage. I am also a mod rider myself and the majority of High BB stocks i have ridden, they pretty much feel like big mods.

I would suggest for the low bb frame to choose a Echo control, it seriously has to be the best low bb frame i have ridden. I'm not normally a fan of any low bb stocks to be honest, but these are something special, they just feel so comfy to ride. Once again, Tartybikes is your place for purchase.

High bb frame. I can recomend a few. First up is the 2008 GU TP, this frame really does just feel like a big mod, had so much fun riding one of these, didn't want to put it down after haha. Tartybikes For purchase.

Also not a very common frame but is amazingly nice to ride is the Echo Hifi. With a friend purchasing one of these not long ago, we built it up not knowing what to expect with not seeing many reviews on these, nor seeing many riders with them on group rides. So we got it built and went out for a little while and my god, so flicky, front wheel gaps are amazing on it, gaps and sidehops were all so easy. These are also currently on sale at SelectBikes.

So have a read of each frame and have a good think about you want before making any decisions

Any questions, feel free to ask

Tom.