Pro3? Does Any One Use Them For Trials?

cai

Hey, just looking on Chain Reaction Cylces, and came across the Pro3's.

It says they are a 'development of the Pro2'. But is it better than a Pro2 trials?

As theres no mention of it being compared to the Pro2 trials. And do you reckon they will make a Trials version of these, or is there no point?

Heres the produst info:

The new Pro3 hub replaces the Mono hubs. With the proven range of Pro2s having gone from strength to strength since they were launched, the Pro3 is the development of that hub, and is specifically aimed at road and non disc users.

This hub features a one piece 7075 aluminium rotor body and pawl carrier. Four pawls engage into a twenty-four steel ratchet which is fixed onto the hub shell and is sealed with a frictionless, non contact labyrinth seal.

The hub uses custom stainless cartridge bearings. these have been designed and produced by INA and are super smooth running – ideal for fast road wheels.

The hub shell is machined from a solid billet of 2014 T6 aluminium.

The Pro3 utilises all the features and benefits of the Pro2, but offers a light weight, well sealed extremely smooth and free running system – that suits road applications in the UK perfectly.

Weight: 269g

Price: £129.99

And the link- Pro3

Edited by cai

Hey, just looking on Chain Reaction Cylces, and came across the Pro3's.

It says they are a 'development of the Pro2'. But is it better than a Pro2 trials?

As theres no mention of it being compared to the Pro2 trials. And do you reckon they will make a Trials version of these, or is there no point?

Heres the produst info:

Weight: 269g

Price: £129.99

And the link- Pro3

The fact that it says 'suits road applications perfectly' tends to put people off. They're not really constructed to withstand the high pressure going through the drive system in trials.

i think its aimed for road use mainly, plus i thought road bikes have slightly different rear end spacing? (correct me if im wrong i think its 130mm instead of 135mm)

the lightweight hub shell won't take the abuse i don't think, especially the 06 proII trial were revised with new hub shell as a few of them seemed to have cracked..

don't bother and get a proII trial and worry-free.

steve

Fair enough, is ther a point of a 'Pro3 Trials' being produced, or is there no room for improvement with Pro2 trials hubs?

Pro2s are more than you'll ever need. Tad heavy, but its pretty standard freehub weight.

Edit:

Well they could make it so the shells don't crack, driveside bearings don't shit the bed, axles don't crack and ratchet rings don't spin around.

Hm. Can't say I've ever had any problems with the 4 I've owned. Have heard of the hub shells cracking on the older models. But the rest...?

Edited by Quackers!!

Pro 3's are mainly used for hybrid and rode use, as they havent got as stronger axel (but more lightwieght), have less engagement points and would just generally be rubbish for trials! They are no where near as loud as pro2's either, as the engagement isnt as strong and there is less engagement points.

I had a quick spin on a bike at work with one on the rear. It felt nice for road usage, but i wouldnt use it or trust it on trials one bit!

Owen

they're straight pull spokes to so there's added strength there...

there meant for xc use, thats why the hope hoops wheelset are built on an xc specific rim by dt swiss, the 4.2 which is 26"

theres also the pro 3 rs which is a road specfic wheelset that come on dt swiss 1.1 rim which is 700c.

as to how each hub differs i'm guessing its just the spacing. you could use it for a front wheel fine i imagine but not the back.

i'm sure theres another post on this... have a search.