Pissed Off...

Sabiot

I'm right 'n' pissed off. I went out a little bit ago to record me doin some bunny hops, endos, manuals and rear wheel hop attempts. My camera dies about 5mins in so I go and pack it up and go back to practicing bunnyhops. I was having an off day, I could feel it. Nothing was clicking right today. I couldn't get the front wheel up as high as normal, I couldn't sync body movements, etc etc. So I hop back on, do about 2-3 hops and on the last one I really jumped and pulled hard. I guess my feet weren't in the right place or I wasn't angling them correct cause they slipped off and I now have the biggest f*ckin gash on my right shin. I immediately threw a towel on it (I was riding in my apartment building parking lot) and took a look. Man, this thing is savage. Later today I'm going to upload the video including the couple bunny hops I got in and a brief shot of the wound. I could go ride, but I mean... I shouldnt for like 2-3 weeks probably. I'm pissed off like you wouldn't believe man. I just got back into this and I'm hurt. I finally felt like I was making progess and when I can get back on, I'll be at square one again. God damnit

/rant

Don't worry dude, Take a few days off and go try again. Just make sure you don't knock it again for a little while. If it's a really bad cut maybe try and wrap a big plaster or a bandage around it to give it abit of extra padding and to stop it from bleeding as much if you were to knock it again.

pshhhh shin gashes..

Ride its not bone or muscle damage, it should be fine. if you want give it a coula days, just dont fall off again :P or you will savage it even more...

It's about 3 inches long, an inch wide and a solid 0.5cm deep. Lol, you'll see when I throw up the vid. It's pretty savage man. But yeah, I'll give it a few days and then really bandage it up and try to take it easy on the hops. I am going crazy right now and spent like an hour more or less chain smoking and ranting about how I can't ride. Thats never happened before doing hops. It's just... frustrating.

EDIT:

Here's a link to the vid now... there is a topic in the video section, but just in case...

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....ils&id=1214

Edited by Sabiot

its not bone or muscle damage, it should be fine.

I'd really like to see my shin bone without any flesh on it... I reckon if someone from Time Team looked at it in a few hundred years time they'd conclude I was victim to some nasty form of torture. They've really taken a thrashing over the years!

pshhhh shin gashes..

Ride its not bone or muscle damage, it should be fine. if you want give it a coula days, just dont fall off again :P or you will savage it even more...

Apart from that muscle that runs down the outside of your shin, or is that just me :D

Its a fact of life you have to get used to when learning to ride, once youve picked the scabs (for maximum scar tissue effect ;) ) invest in some shin guards and it wont happen again so bad. I always used to wear shin guards on my bmx, then it got to the point where they smelt so bad and I couldnt afford to replace them :D

Never ride with them now, last time I slipped a pedal was at least 3 years ago, its just something Ive learnt not to do. Ive also found that flatties do less gashing damage than cage pedals - they do more smashing bruising damage but less skin tearing.

Learn to live with the pain, once youve shinned yourself then just walk or ride around on it for a few minutes and the pain will go pretty quickly :)

edit: just watched the video - your cat rocks :D

With regards to the bunnyhops, try putting more shoulder weight over the front wheel more and throw them around to shift your weight, move your body and the bike will follow you.

Edited by forteh

Ouch that shin looks nasty!

From the video I'm not entirely sure which technique you're trying to use. There's the sort of beginner technique where you pull both wheels off the ground at the same time, which is OK but you'll never get more than about 12" with it. Then there's the technique which you should be trying to learn which is to pull up the front wheel first, then the back - sometime it's called 'American style'.

In some it looks like you're just doing the beginner style, but then other times you seem to be doing a weird version of the American style, but very rushed. If you watch videos of other people doing it, American bunny hops can look quite lazy - you sort of pull the front end up and then pull the back end up maybe a second later. It looks like you're trying to do it too fast.

EDIT: Didn't see the other thread. I've just said basically the same as Marten@scandinaviantrials.

Ouch that shin looks nasty!

From the video I'm not entirely sure which technique you're trying to use. There's the sort of beginner technique where you pull both wheels off the ground at the same time, which is OK but you'll never get more than about 12" with it. Then there's the technique which you should be trying to learn which is to pull up the front wheel first, then the back - sometime it's called 'American style'.

In some it looks like you're just doing the beginner style, but then other times you seem to be doing a weird version of the American style, but very rushed. If you watch videos of other people doing it, American bunny hops can look quite lazy - you sort of pull the front end up and then pull the back end up maybe a second later. It looks like you're trying to do it too fast.

EDIT: Didn't see the other thread. I've just said basically the same as Marten@scandinaviantrials.

Yeah I only just learned the technique about 2-3 weeks ago. So it's far from perfect. I definately need to throw more weight backwards. I think it may also have to do with a lack in confidence going backwards. Anywho. Thanks for the comments guys. I'll make sure I post another in a while once I feel I've progressed a bit more.

Nasty gash. You WILL get used to it. I gave myself a nasty one at a demo this weekend, blood was all over me, it was quite funny actually. I barely felt it though. I came home, scrubbed it in the shower and then cut off the excess skin with a scalpel...

It looks like you're relying on the front forks a little for your lift. Remember that bunny hopping is a lot like ollying a skateboard - you have to make sure you're weight is in the right place. You're pretty much central for the whole thing - the front is coming up because you're bouncing the forks, where it should be from leaning back and pulling up. The higher you want to go, the more you have to accentuate it. Lean back, throw forward, level out :)

LOL, the shin or my "technique?" hahaha. Anyways, thanks again for the tips guys. I'm very eager to get out there again

The shin, pretty minging :sick: I'm still worse than you at bunnyhops, I can do them static ,just not when I'm mov :angry: ing

well done you can bounce on your forks...

That's just rude (N)

Never ride with them now, last time I slipped a pedal was at least 3 years ago, its just something Ive learnt not to do. Ive also found that flatties do less gashing damage than cage pedals - they do more smashing bruising damage but less skin tearing.

So pedals with no pins?

If you get that stitched up you don't have to wait for it to heal ;) You can go riding again the next day.

As for technique... this might be useful ;)

Is that the devil's advocate I hear in my subconsious? Haha. I totally want to go out and just play around. I dont know if I'll do any bunnyhops but I'm going to go out and at least practice manuals since it seems very similar in technique to getting the front wheel up for a bunnyhop. My GF went around my apartment and showed our friend (and her friends) my leg, I guess it's like a car wreck... it's so terrible that you have to look. They'd kill me if they saw me outside riding the day after. Too bad for them though! They're both at work! HA!

Ride on dudes

EDIT: If someone has msn, please look me up thefourstringsamurai@hotmail.com I have a few questions about throwing weight back to get the front wheel up. I think it'd be easier in a chat format. I just rode for about an hour and only did manuals and practiced leaning over the handlebars, throwing my weight back and jumping. Basicly doing a bunnyhop without leveling (to focus on getting the front up) I'm not even worried about getting the rear tire up, its easy enough to do that. I just cant seem to get the timing or whatever for getting the wheel nice and high and then exploding from a crouched position

Edited by Sabiot

So pedals with no pins?

Nope, Ive found that the pins just cut s aneat round hole in my shin with minimal bleeding :)

As I said Ive not slipped a pedal in ages, guess I must have been lucky.

The worst shindigs Ive have have been from cage pedals.

Is that the devil's advocate I hear in my subconsious? Haha. I totally want to go out and just play around. I dont know if I'll do any bunnyhops but I'm going to go out and at least practice manuals since it seems very similar in technique to getting the front wheel up for a bunnyhop. My GF went around my apartment and showed our friend (and her friends) my leg, I guess it's like a car wreck... it's so terrible that you have to look. They'd kill me if they saw me outside riding the day after. Too bad for them though! They're both at work! HA!

Ride on dudes

EDIT: If someone has msn, please look me up thefourstringsamurai@hotmail.com I have a few questions about throwing weight back to get the front wheel up. I think it'd be easier in a chat format. I just rode for about an hour and only did manuals and practiced leaning over the handlebars, throwing my weight back and jumping. Basicly doing a bunnyhop without leveling (to focus on getting the front up) I'm not even worried about getting the rear tire up, its easy enough to do that. I just cant seem to get the timing or whatever for getting the wheel nice and high and then exploding from a crouched position

All you've got to do is practise, no one can teach to how to bunnyhop well just by saying something

Edited by jebend

well done you can bounce on your forks...

Don't be such a willy....not everyone can be as perfect as you!!

With your bunnyhops you need to lean back, rememer the advice from your earlier thread. When you hop you're pulling the bike from under you, get leaning back to get the front up then pull the back up....this way will give you much more time also. Concentrate on the front for now getting that up and leaving it up until the last moment before the back needs to....don't bring the wheels up together.

Also try not to use your forks as the initial lift, i see loads of people doing this, but its not really beneficial, you dont need that rebound to give you bounce, pull the bike up yourself - be in total control.

But remember you're only learning and all this advice won;t mean to much at now, but it soon will. Just take your time and lean back each time - there was no leaning going on at all in that vid.

You'll get it!

I just cant seem to get the timing or whatever for getting the wheel nice and high and then exploding from a crouched position

Like I said in the other thread somewhere - it's not about manualling and crouching, then jumping. It's about throwing all your weight upwards, taking first the front wheel with you, then the rear wheel. "Move your weight and the bike will follow" as someone used to say (JJ Gregorowicz I think).