Pissed Off...

Sabiot

Actually it's pretty much impossible. In order to get the bike off the ground to any kind of a height you must first push it into the ground to accelerate your body into the air. Same principle as jumping with no bike - push against the ground hard enough and you'll accelerate it enough to overcome gravity enough to leave the ground. The difference is you can use your upper body to create some of the upward movement (Pulling back on the bars) as well as having a longer lever (The chainstay) to give you more upward speed than your legs can supply on their own.

When bunnyhopping from a manual, the front wheel isnt touching the ground, so any compression before liftoff isnt shown in the forks. I think he meant its impossible to bunnyhop from both wheels on the ground without the fork compressing a bit, well unless you have a lottttt of compression damping on.

Edited by ruckus_street

Ash - I'm sure you can if you just lean back loads into a manual and then hop out of that. It's not impossible but it'd be a pointless thing to try and do and certainly doesn't help this guy. If you've got forks, you might as well use them to your advantage slightly - although use them to start your jump, don't rely on them completely.

Actually it's pretty much impossible. In order to get the bike off the ground to any kind of a height you must first push it into the ground to accelerate your body into the air. Same principle as jumping with no bike - push against the ground hard enough and you'll accelerate it enough to overcome gravity enough to leave the ground. The difference is you can use your upper body to create some of the upward movement (Pulling back on the bars) as well as having a longer lever (The chainstay) to give you more upward speed than your legs can supply on their own.

My bunnyhop style doesn't compress forks :D Swing the bike forwards from underneath you rather than pushing down then suck up the back once the front is off the floor.

Ash - I'm sure you can if you just lean back loads into a manual and then hop out of that. It's not impossible but it'd be a pointless thing to try and do and certainly doesn't help this guy. If you've got forks, you might as well use them to your advantage slightly - although use them to start your jump, don't rely on them completely.

exactly, he is relying on the forks

i could get a vid if you want, wouldnt be that exciting...

If hes got forks then why not use them? when i had my Bmx the front easily popped up yet on my jump bike (bit of a tank) i compressed the forks to get that extra bit of lift and it did work as i could pretty much hop my dirt bike as high as my bmx.

But as has been said dont rely on the suspension so much, they way i learnt to hop the 'proper' way was by jumping up kerbs, if your riding straight at it then an english hop wont work. Only try this when you can do a basic 'american' hop or it could lead to a buckled wheel.

Edited by ocirderf

The forks might be helping a little but I have the spring on the highest tension and the air to at least 10psi higher than it ought to be for my weight. When I try to compress them I get maybe an inch of movement from the whole 100+mm. Another thing, suspension does not work like a spring. A suspension does not get compressed and then shoot back up. Suspension is meant to help absorb the impact of landing a jump or to smooth out a trail that has some dips and rocks on it. If anything, my bouncing on the forks only lets me get less height meaning that if I had a entirely hard bike that even just bouncing the forks would get me higher. Maybe I used them a little. I was getting up because I crouched, literally jumped and pulled the handle bars with me. I honestly think that if I just put more weight forward first, threw it a little bit more backwards (and keep leaning backwards) and then attempt to jump that the front wheel would come up higher and first more definatively and would thus help increase height as well as landing on my rear wheel. I honestly didnt set out saying "okay I'm gunna press on my forks and they'll magicly make me bunnyhop" No. I already said I was having an off day. I'll post some more in a week or so. I'll show you guys my improvement (and beg for more advice)

EDIT:

exactly, he is relying on the forks

i could get a vid if you want, wouldnt be that exciting...

Yes, please do. Even one of you bunnyhoping. Make it as slow as possible, even the same hop over and over and over at increasingly slow speeds. That actually helps as I can watch the jump over and over and see every little thing you're doing with every part of your body during the jump. I'd be much obliged Ash.

EDIT 2:

Love me or hate me, my threads get t3h h1T5!!!

Edited by Sabiot

For a bunnyhop from manual you still have to compress the back wheel to make the bike leave the ground. Newtons laws say it's impossible not to. The only hop you can do without pushing into the ground beforehand is by accelerating your bike towards you faster than gravity, so your body will be in freefall while your bike is being pulled towards you, leaving you to meet the bike somewhere in the middle, with very little hop height. Compression and rebound damping (Or just plain friction if it's a cheap fork) means you don't get back what you put in on precompression before a hop, but you've no choice but to push the front wheel into the ground to lift the bike a decent distance off the ground...

The point is, to get the most height on the front, you do push into the ground first for pre-load. Ash is merely saying it's possible, not recommended, to do without. He's right - you can just lean back and pretty much pull into a manual and hop straight away. It would look slower than most bunny hops - laboured if you will. I think that's the point Ash is trying to make - it could be done. It's academic, and somewhat misleading to the thread.

So it's not so much wrong that you're springing off the forks, because the action is correct, but if you were putting any effort into it, you'd be getting more height on the front than that. You are currently relying on the spring to get you up a little. Nothing to be ashamed about, just something to consider next time you're trying. You need to work on shifting your weight back and forth.

The point is, to get the most height on the front, you do push into the ground first for pre-load. Ash is merely saying it's possible, not recommended, to do without. He's right - you can just lean back and pretty much pull into a manual and hop straight away. It would look slower than most bunny hops - laboured if you will. I think that's the point Ash is trying to make - it could be done. It's academic, and somewhat misleading to the thread.

So it's not so much wrong that you're springing off the forks, because the action is correct, but if you were putting any effort into it, you'd be getting more height on the front than that. You are currently relying on the spring to get you up a little. Nothing to be ashamed about, just something to consider next time you're trying. You need to work on shifting your weight back and forth.

Aye. I agree completely. I've been practicing that the past couple of days. I've only actually attempted maybe 2 or 3 bunnyhops. I've been practicing shifting weight, and staying consious of leaning backwards to get the front up higher. Just working on doing a hop without leveling... landing back then front. It's coming along definately. I've gotten pretty much everything I could hope for from this thread. I greatly appreciate the help from everyone and the votes of confidence. I'll be happy to post another vid in late June or July.