Alcohol Units

anzo

that paradise factory sounds nuts, hope theyve gone for the black/yellow industrial scheme of things again , the original haç is now them swanky apartments that you can see from the train right?

My night usually consist of going to some gig at one of the acedemys etc then student bars, that bar where they do goldfish bowls, 42nd st? and where ever else is left open, then hotel with some whisley then the health cafe by the station.

The health cafe is my favourite place ever lol, like £4.50 for an all you can eat breakfast with fit waitresses, and all you can eat !!!

Scu Bar does the goldfish bowls.

42s is OK but the bouncers can get dead arsey and only let the scene kids in cos it's only a small place. The last time I went, the queue was huge and when we got to the front, the bouncer nearly sent us away because we weren't regulars :S Music is good though. You ever been to 5th Ave? Basically a cheaper, dirtier version of 42s filled with student idiots.

yeah we got a taxi down to 5th but they weren't letting us in cause we weren't students haha, 2 of us got in then realized they were on their own so came back.

We ent to a pretty decent bar opposite 42nd though, cheap house doubles and pictures of the gallaghers and stuff on the wall, felt right at home.

By the way is Mill point the nearest student accom to the main bars etc do you know?

The only thing im worried about is with this new generation of students that seem to be only interested in skins and whatever music is on tv at the timeetc, i hope the dj's dont get swamped with their music requests and just keep it manchester.

last time i was at the su bar upstairs they had 2 sections, one just generic stuff then a smaller part just playing the smiths one after the other, well fun dancing to that pretending to be swinging flowers after too many 99p specials haha

last time i was at the su bar upstairs they had 2 sections, one just generic stuff then a smaller part just playing the smiths one after the other, well fun dancing to that pretending to be swinging flowers after too many 99p specials haha

Is that in Man Met union rather than the Manchester uni one?

A lot of places are just generic. 5th Ave is pretty bad for that stuff - I used to go every week and seriously they never changed the playlist. It was basically what was the current flavour of the week, then a classic indie/rock song (RATM or Nirvana or something), then repeat. So predictable. If you didn't hear 'Killing in the Name Of' at least once per night, you'd be disappointed (it never happened, though).

One place I quite want to go to is South on a Saturday. Clint Boon runs it and it's all Manchester indie stuff. Never been though.

Yeah think it is the man met.

That again sounds good, theres just no musical background to Blackpool, only 2 artists i can think of from there are robert smith from the cure and george formby haha.

I was meant to be seeing clint Boon in Blackpool suppoting the clone roses lol, but on the small print said he was only doing their gigs in Manchester so missed out, You ever been to the comedy club by the way?

haha sounds impressive, only one shot a minute though?

Its gets you pissed quicker becuase of the way you do a shot compared to a small sip, a shot goes straight down. Might try an cut down drinking, on my 3rd pint tonight and im not "drinking" just like a good olde pint

I'm a bit of a red wine man I must say.

I don't mind sitting down, watching tv with my dinner and some red wine.

If I go out with my friends, it's usually a pint of fosters max.

I don't like getting drunk, unless it's new years... :)

People have been drinking since before Jesus, surely our bodies have learnt how to cope with it by now :rolleyes:

Being drunk is our bodies coping with it.

Acording to my bottle of Tesco Value Vodka, (£6.70 for 70cl, hahaha), 1 unit is 10ml of pure alcohol. I never knew that.

have you tried brandy? its seriously my favourite drink when im out, proper rich taste.

Pints get me bloated and keep me sober, alcopops? are far too emasculating too consider, shots dont last too long, and biiter is more of a morning drink for pubs.

brandy/whiskey are by far the best for town life

that 1 unit per 10ml isnt right across the board, I know it's done by weight and I believe that weight is 6g = 1unit. could be 9, not completely sure.

It's 10ml of pure alcohol (ethanol) which weighs almost exactly 8g as alcohol is less dense than water.

Obviously you have to adjust that for the alcohol concentration of different drinks.

alcohols bad for me, and i know it, but at the end of the day, everyone has their vices.and thats everyone, even people who dont drink, dont smoke, etc, and live for sport X, or job Z, in the end does that not end up ruling their life over everything else. and although to them it may seem to be cool, its ultimately not (i seem to remember scott wilson on here saying his bird had dumped him because of how seriously he took trials, to us that seems acceptable, hes a world champion, but to many people who dont ride trials, hes just bummed off a girl, so he could go ride a bike with no seat really slowly)

In the whole scheme of the health thing, theres always going to be healthy people and unheatlhy people, granted i could stop drinking, and become healthier, but when it comes down to it, i could die from a load of none alcohol related incidents.

most units ive ever drank and confirmed in one night was something like 63, but all of us that where out, were fairly sure their must of been a VK or 2 that didnt get jotted down to drunkeness.

as for shots, i drank 6 shots of vodka,1/2 a bottle of red wine, and 50 shots of corkies in one night once.

as for calebs question about the amount people could drink in one go, i reckon a 4 pint pitcher of guiness in one go, would probably be at top end of the amount i could drink. ive done 2 litres of strongbow in one go before and it wasnt all that hard.

now for manchester clubbing:

jillies: in all fairness friday nights in there are ok, till about 1am, theres room 4(i think, or maybe 1) which plays like more kind of poprock/punk/ska music, but it shuts at 1am, from then onwards, theres only rooms 2 and 3 open, which are playing your usual heavy gothic music, till about 4am, when they start playing jungle, then drum an bass for half an hour each, then at 5am, it kind of goes to more mainstream rock classics (californication, paradise city) etc.

Warehouse projects: find a night you like there, and go, its a good night. but its expensive, around £15 -£20 a ticket, and its £4 for a can of budweiser in there, shots are a bit more reasonable, but you got JD,smirnoff, and the mixers are pepsi, or redbull. normally go to the ape (Drum an Bass ) nights there, but aparently the other nights are all good. tends to only be on, on the bank holiday weekends etc.

normally towards the end of the night, when you leave, there will be some pretty lil student type, giving away free tickets to a similar night at the paradise factory.

Paradise factory: its good,only been there twice, 2 rooms, 1 of which seems to close about 2 hours before the end, its rammed, and kind of average price(£2.60 for a bottle of becks or the like i think). occasionally at the end of the night, theyll be someone handing out free tickets to either a night there in like 2.5 weeks time(normally a different night) or a night at the warehouse project. generally tickets are £5-£10 for the night.

meh, never really been into 5th ave, its like quite good. but its tends to be full of people who just go out to get layed, or fight, it used to be a pretty neat indie venue, where you could pull easily if you wanted,or just have a decent night out, but now its like rather chavvy, full of people who are trying way too hard to look good, and people who are trying way to hard to have a fight.

42's: i really like 42's, but its best to get there early, or not even bother going, and also try to go when you know quite a few people you know are going, as its very much inner circles in there, everyone seems to know each other, and walkin in with 3 or 4 of you, unless you get talking to someone because there into to you, expect to spend the whole night standing there with you 2 mates, looking like a bunch of chumps, while everyone points and stares at the people who arent normally there.

RockKitchen: think you may of mentioned this place, its below the su bar on oxford road, used to be really good, now it just seems to be full of tw*ts looking to start fights, or trying to do outdo each other modelling themselves on www.yourscenesucks.com. but providing all your mates are going, its still a pretty good, varied night. it went through a quiet patch last year, where it was at its best, now its picked up with another year of college and sixth form goe'rs, its a sweat box once more.

i really like satans, but thats because i know a lot of people who go there, although it has started to tire of late.

other nights you must sample in manc, are pure, for the blatant chavvy, fake tan, G star, student mess of a place.and billy rocks roller disco, just for the amusement of being drunk, whilst on old school roller skates.

ah nice one, sounds like im best staying away from 5th ave, i was at some crappy bar in Blackpool (bar 19) a few weeks ago with my brother and there was some lad trying to get some? i put the question mark cause he was such a tool. Dancing in the middle of the floor lifting his shirt up to show that he had a tribal tattoo above his arse haha, the place where girls get them that clearly "put out " .

Just looked the biggest arsehole in there and me and josh were just pissing ourselves at this joker.

i honestly think people like that shouldn't go out cause they are clearly gonna end up in A+E with such an attitude.

on a related note i went out modded up in white levi 501's last night, ohhh yeaaaahh

ah nice one, sounds like im best staying away from 5th ave, i was at some crappy bar in Blackpool (bar 19) a few weeks ago with my brother and there was some lad trying to get some? i put the question mark cause he was such a tool. Dancing in the middle of the floor lifting his shirt up to show that he had a tribal tattoo above his arse haha, the place where girls get them that clearly "put out " .

Just looked the biggest arsehole in there and me and josh were just pissing ourselves at this joker.

i honestly think people like that shouldn't go out cause they are clearly gonna end up in A+E with such an attitude.

dont get me wrong, you should sample 5th ave, with a bunch of mates one night, but you shouldnt walk in there, with like 1 mate, expecting to have a good night. i find it all to easy to end up with some chump in there insisting you buy a drink cos you spilt their drink etc. it used to be one of the best clubs in manchester imo, but ive been there twice in the last year, and both times it been seriously lairy.