Freewheel Problems

sideburns(dnt ask)

Hi guys

i was out riding back from a friends and my freewheel started making a horrible grinding noise when i stoped pedaling,

also when i push the bike the cranks are rotating and i don't think this is normal and they won't rotate backwards without a lot of effort.

any ideas as to what could be wrong

peace

If it is a normal free wheel, eg one for the rear, then if you run it on the front then it will undo as you ride, NOT good! If the freewheel is making grinding sounds then make sure your lock ring is tight. Probally fu*ked the insides by now though! New one needed i would think.

You are wrong! The normal FW putted on the cranks wouldn't undo from riding. It will get tighter.

All freewheel apart from the one's with reverse threads, after been beded in should have the lock ring took off, and have locktite put on the threads, screw the lockring back on and let it all set it to place.

By the sounds of things you have an ACS claws and the locking ring has come loose and caused havok with your internals.

Best bet is to get your hands on a Tensile freewheel which is completly self service-able and also the Lockring does not come loose when used on your cranks arms, reason been, reverse threads on the lockring :)

um no your wrong.........

er, no, YOU'RE wrong! it doesnt matter whether the freewheel is on the front or the rear, its still a clockwise turning moment that is applied to the freewheel, therefore it tightens up. Make sure your facts are correct before you post please.

Andrew

er, no, YOU'RE wrong! it doesnt matter whether the freewheel is on the front or the rear, its still a clockwise turning moment that is applied to the freewheel, therefore it tightens up. Make sure your facts are correct before you post please.

Andrew

yes you are correct does not matter if it is front or rear just that the lockring may be on the inside unless you go for a tensille

Andrew

on the hub, they tighten towards the hub shell.

So if its the same freewheel, it will tighten away from the crank arm.

The crank arm and the hubs shell are on opposite sides of the freewheel, meaning clockwise on one will undo it, and on the other tighten it.

You've just contradicted yourself BTW. Front freewheels tighten towards the crank rear ones tighten towards the hub. Both are tightened clockwise when the pedals are loaded. Check it and see. Left hand threaded freewheels are for running the drivetrain on the left of the bike.