Hope Hubs

Matthew_Gibson

I was stripping my hub to give it a clean and a fresh lube up. And I noticed that there were sort of marks on the free hub body. Should I be worried about them? Also there was shard of metal in the pawls. Long thin bits, when I say long I mean about 1cm. Supplied pics so you know what I’m talking about

Also how do I remove the bearing from the free hub body?

hubpic2.jpg

hubpic.jpg

3-2.jpg

I've seen the same marks on Hope XC hubs. I'm guessing they're from whatever chuck Hope used to hold the freehub during machining. Nothing to worry about I'd think, but then my Hope XC hub crapped itself from XC riding and had the same marks.

I'd be more worried about the shards of metal though. Have you checked the shoulder on the axle between the bearings in the freehub and the hub bearings? This can deform over time as the axle bends between the freehub and the hub combined with the compression from the QR skewer and may allow the freehub to rub inside the hub where it's not supposed to. Also make sure the pawls and the ratchet ring are still the right shape and not missing any material... If the metal shards are not steel they're not from the pawls or ratchet ring - test with a magnet (Steel will be attracted to it, Al won't) if you're not sure.

Edited by psycholist

Pretty sure they're not from the chuck, back in the day all of my 3 XC's did that, started off nice and round.

Mine didn't affect anything, though I filed them down slightly to avoid them catching on anything untoward.

Seem to remember there being posts about this a few times years ago, and we came to the conclusion its nothing to worry about :)

The other option for the cause of these marks is that the freehub is catching somehow on the ratchet ring in the body of the hub... Lots of deformation in the axle/hub/bearings would be needed for this to happen though - pretty unlikely I'd think (Without you having loads of other weird behavior from the hub).

I've seen the same marks on Hope XC hubs. I'm guessing they're from whatever chuck Hope used to hold the freehub during machining. Nothing to worry about I'd think, but then my Hope XC hub crapped itself from XC riding and had the same marks.

I'd be more worried about the shards of metal though. Have you checked the shoulder on the axle between the bearings in the freehub and the hub bearings? This can deform over time as the axle bends between the freehub and the hub combined with the compression from the QR skewer and may allow the freehub to rub inside the hub where it's not supposed to. Also make sure the pawls and the ratchet ring are still the right shape and not missing any material... If the metal shards are not steel they're not from the pawls or ratchet ring - test with a magnet (Steel will be attracted to it, Al won't) if you're not sure.

Chuck marks :giggle:

jokin right? :(

the hub wasn't doing anything unexpected. I just took it apart cause I could really. But found a snapped spring, and most of them were shot. going to replace all of them, bearings and a good clean. them a thin layer of lube should do the trick

Whats best to clean it alll with? and lube too??

The Strips of Metal are usually from the Frehub body.

When used for trials the teeth in the ratchet ring flair under stress and you get ridges on the top, which can rub on the frehub.

Wouldnt worry about it, Just counts as wear and tear.

As for the marrks on the freehub Im not too sure.

All my hopes have done it, but I cant think of anything that would cause it, was if it was draggin the the hub shell the scores would be in the oposite direction.

Also on the clean and Lube.

I would Use Carborettor Cleaner on the hub internals, simpley spray on and let it run off with the dirt in. It will then dry itself out.

And for Lube I would run it dry, had 2 hopes last over 4 years each this.

If you do want some lube Finish line Light OIls are reccamended, or some LM Grease for that nice Quiet hub

Edited by trials_pimp

the bearng in the free hub are in need of changing, they are about 2 year old. But the other two are fine, but they look as if they need changing! Best just change them all. Going to get the tool as well. worth it really. as the last time bearing were put in my dad used a socket and f**ked a bearing.

the markings are where on say a big drop landing the axle has flexed and the freehub body has hit the ratchet ring ... happened alot on the old hope hubs because of where the supporting bearings were ... Iv got very faint ones on my 2+ year old proII (but i did snap the axle and keep riding) ...

dont worry too much - just make sure your axle isnt buggered.

Chuck marks :giggle:

jokin right? :(

You have a better explanation? The only other one suggested is that they're from the freehub hitting the ratchet ring inside the hub, and I'd expect to see either an axle or bearing failure to occur for this to happen unless they're way flexier than their design and people's experience would suggest. In my experience Hope make a lot of poorly designed products with seriously underspecced materials and only remain in business because they're good to give people replacement parts, but I'd give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Can someone open a completely new hub and see if the same marks are there. If they're not on new hubs and appear over time they are due to the ratchet ring in the hub, otherwise I'd stand by them being from the chuck of the lathe/CNC machine used to shape the freehub body.

Rowan is right, thats exactly how it happens, the axles aren't designed for trials, and they flex and the harder metal of the ratchet notches into the softer metal of the freehub body.

It doesn't really affect anything, until if you leave it and they get really bad, your hub will engage when freewheeling, where the notches are catching on the rachet, when that happens file them all off and they are fine again.

Happened millions of times to me.

Can someone open a completely new hub and see if the same marks are there. If they're not on new hubs and appear over time they are due to the ratchet ring in the hub, otherwise I'd stand by them being from the chuck of the lathe/CNC machine used to shape the freehub body.

Rowan is telling the truth:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=155

Crap - Hope have just dropped even further in my estimation :o ...

Explain again why so many people swear by them :P ?

the fact that this happens isnt really a problem ... The extent it has happened on my 2+ year old hope proII is very minimal - because they changed the bearing placement and axle design... It was only really ever a problem on the mono - which wasnt a trials hub !! Its axles used to snap regularily. People swear by them because they are very reliable, cheap, have awesome service.

basically not many other manufacturers have had the balls to make a trials specific hub - and they pretty much hit it bang on .. ok so some have split but most are running extremely well. (mostly the super power muncher riders ?)

ProII's changed the way I ride and increased the standard of my riding quite considerably.

EDIT - you may or may not have said that in jest ...

Edited by manuel

I have a steel bodied Hope XC hub I used on my XC bike until I eventually had to get rid of it (After about a year) because the hub wouldn't backpedal without a lot of pressure, so when I stalled on technical climbs I couldn't backpedal to put more power down. The cassette I used also dug so deeply into the freehub spline I had to hammer it off - and this was an XC hub used for XC only - I contacted Hope who replied saying the hub wasn't suitable for trials - pretty true given it wasn't even up to XC use, They also offered me nothing by way of warranty support. That was my first and last experience with Hope.

Replaced with a XTR in about 2003 and it's still running perfectly with no servicing at all.

Edited by psycholist