Hopping On The Spot

tris

well ive been riding for about 6 months now and im getting pretty good. may have seen my video in my other post.

ive got a zoot and am finding it hard to stay in the same spot whilst on the back wheel.

when i first started (backhopping) i cood lock my rear brake and hop on the spot all day long.

however on my new bike my pedals come back more and more each hop i do. when hopping on the spot do you have to constantly release and grab the brake?? i swear i never used to.....

same problem after gapping....front wheel just drops straight away. i guess i can fix this by getting the bike more vertical however i hate putting my whole weight on the rear brake incase it flips out.

thoughts anyone,

also im finding it hard to hop with my arms bent. it feels as though i need a longer and higher rise stem....do i??? thanks, tris

I can barely even get on my back wheel but I'll attempt to help. A lot of people here have been saying to just give 'er and throw the weight back. You're gunna loop out eventually. Maybe try sticking your butt towards your rear tire a little bit more on the landing? It might help. I'm sure somone more knowledgeable will come by later today and let you know

Learn how to 'boon'. Basically hopping on the bacwheel without using the pedals to kick. I can hop forwards and off stuff without kicking the pedals. ^_^

Like most trials 'moves/tricks' there's bound to be a thousand differant names for it, but I know it as 'booning' haha.

Learn how to 'boon'. Basically hopping on the bacwheel without using the pedals to kick. I can hop forwards and off stuff without kicking the pedals. ^_^

Like most trials 'moves/tricks' there's bound to be a thousand differant names for it, but I know it as 'booning' haha.

Can you explain how to "boon"?

I've never see someone doing it.

I'd like to learn...

Thanks!!

I don't think it's something that you need to go out and practise. It'll come just by getting your backhopping sorted. It's a really weird technique though, I wouldn't really know how to explain it. But if you must try - Kind of bounce your back wheel forwards under you. I can only do small hops (maybe 6" forward max) but I'm sure there's a video of Phil (totaltrials) doing a 3ft gap without a chain :blink: Oh, and it helps if you've got flat tyres (10psi makes it super easy) and you're on a sharp edge.

With regards to the original topic - for a hop on the spot you shouldn't be pulling your pedals back. If you're going to do a pedal-hop, then yeah, cock the pedals back a bit. But for just hopping on the spot (or backwards, I suppose), your pedals should stay put.

Youtube Video -> Original Video

Take note from 00:54 to 01:04
You should be able to find your sweet spot as you try out how far the front wheel is from you.

If your pedals keep ratcheting back/up, during the up hop give it a kick, this should level them out. (of course you must release the brake in order to kick)

In time you could even hang on the rear wheel, and you don't have to hop so much. I usually practise the hanging before I pedal kick down a drop. This improves your balance, and makes your riding look nicer. Don't forget to move your entire body - knees, hips, shoulders!

Youtube Video -> Original Video

Take note from 00:54 to 01:04

You should be able to find your sweet spot as you try out how far the front wheel is from you.

If your pedals keep ratcheting back/up, during the up hop give it a kick, this should level them out. (of course you must release the brake in order to kick)

In time you could even hang on the rear wheel, and you don't have to hop so much. I usually practise the hanging before I pedal kick down a drop. This improves your balance, and makes your riding look nicer. Don't forget to move your entire body - knees, hips, shoulders!

thats the thing....i'm not exactly a beginner. i can gap about 5 foot, pedal up or backwheel about 2 foot.

the thing is because i cant hop in the same place (without keeping release and grabbing my brake) it means i have to hop from obsatcle to obstacle really fast. this is scary sometimes and very dangerous because my tire may be just on the upside of the wall (on a gap) and then when i try to gap i sometimes fall off.

i used to be able to hop on the spot (brake fully locked) but on my new bike the pedals come back and i don't know why!!!

recently i've been backwheeling to a 2 foot wall and then dropping the other side (about 4 foot). it really sketchy because as soon as i land i have to kick again and go straight over. its a problem because if my backwheel is not on far enoguh i can do a small hop to readjust.......

I think the others have misunderstood ur problem. I have the same issue I think, it seems more natural to keep letting go of the brake now that u can pedal kick etc.

So you can pedal kick and remain roughly in the same position, but theres no point wasting the energy, it never is in exactly the same position and it feels sketchy.

So it would make sense to lock the brakes permanently once uv gapped or gone up stuff. And only release when ur ready to move forward or off.

But to control ur position with locked brakes I guess its a case of going back a step and just practicing to backhop in controlled motions left, right, forward, and backward (with the brake locked). (Have you noticed how difficult it is to deliberately backhop backward more than one hop.)

On the other hand, I might be over analysing.

In which case, just get out there and practice!

Hope this helps!

I think the others have misunderstood ur problem. I have the same issue I think, it seems more natural to keep letting go of the brake now that u can pedal kick etc.

So you can pedal kick and remain roughly in the same position, but theres no point wasting the energy, it never is in exactly the same position and it feels sketchy.

So it would make sense to lock the brakes permanently once uv gapped or gone up stuff. And only release when ur ready to move forward or off.

But to control ur position with locked brakes I guess its a case of going back a step and just practicing to backhop in controlled motions left, right, forward, and backward (with the brake locked). (Have you noticed how difficult it is to deliberately backhop backward more than one hop.)

On the other hand, I might be over analysing.

In which case, just get out there and practice!

Hope this helps!

thanks that helped a lot. i just went riding and it is, as you said, its like taking a step back and remembering to backhop.

however now when i backhop my pedals ratchet back....so i cant do it....i think its because my technique has improved so much though.

thanks

however now when i backhop my pedals ratchet back....so i cant do it....i think its because my technique has improved so much though.

Unless your freehub is f**ked theres no way your pedals should ratchet back :S

What hub is it, what gearing are you using and are you relying on the pedal pressure to keep the front wheel up?

i dont know but this is just a thought?.?

perhaps your new bike has a diffrent freewheel that has more clicks in it so that you cannot pull the pedals back as far without it clciking.

just a thought althought it's probably wrong.

hope that helped

I don't think it's something that you need to go out and practise. It'll come just by getting your backhopping sorted. It's a really weird technique though, I wouldn't really know how to explain it. But if you must try - Kind of bounce your back wheel forwards under you. I can only do small hops (maybe 6" forward max) but I'm sure there's a video of Phil (totaltrials) doing a 3ft gap without a chain :blink: Oh, and it helps if you've got flat tyres (10psi makes it super easy) and you're on a sharp edge.

With regards to the original topic - for a hop on the spot you shouldn't be pulling your pedals back. If you're going to do a pedal-hop, then yeah, cock the pedals back a bit. But for just hopping on the spot (or backwards, I suppose), your pedals should stay put.

just tried a boon gap got 4ft10 :)

however on my new bike my pedals come back more and more each hop i do. when hopping on the spot do you have to constantly release and grab the brake?? i swear i never used to.....

I used to have that exact same problem over a long period of time. Really annoying. I've been working hard to fix this.

You made me realize i don't have it anymore. I've changed my stem for a longer one just a few weeks ago. Maybe it fixed it.

Your geometry as changed. Your body position has probably changed to adapt. My guess is that... front end is lower during backhops now(straighter arms/legs to relieve stress) and a bit more pressure is applied to the rear pedal(than on the front) due to the bike angle being too low and the back leg being too straight. Causing it to ratchet back(just a theory).

I'm no pro, probably nothing new here but... this is what i felt happening in my case.

Your front end will feel "lighter" with a longer stem. You'll be able to backhop, arms/legs bent a little more with less stress in the arms. Body closer to the bike, you'll be able to keep the bike more upright and this is what(i think) fixes the "crank ratcheting" thing.

I can even pedal up and pedalkick higher since then. Have more control over landing gaps too.

A bit more effort to get the front up but easier to keep it up. Easy to observe during manuals.

Just my own experience...

Hope it helps!