Rim Or Disc?

sstein

What brakes do you prefer disc or rim brakes?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Front brake

• Rim (vee)
    • Rim (maggie)
    • Disc
  2. 2. Rear brake

• Rim (vee)
    • Rim (Maggie)
    • Disc
  3. 3. Would you go for a different setup if you didn't ride trials?

• Yes
    • No

Thats a huge disc to be running on the rear of a mod! The old 26" dual disc Megamo's were a bit like that. Massive disc! I've opted for a 160 for the back of mine, shud stop my 11 stone ok going by what Adam has just posted. :-

Yeah it is. Maybe too big. But i wanted to make sure 100% i wouldn't be slipping about.

Definatly wouldn't want to go down to 160 though. And i'm 3 stone lighter than tarty!

Yeah it is. Maybe too big. But i wanted to make sure 100% i wouldn't be slipping about.

Definatly wouldn't want to go down to 160 though. And i'm 3 stone lighter than tarty!

I'd be worried about catching a disc that size on rocks when riding natty. Probably ok if you ride a lot of street though I guess.

dual disc and i wouldnt have it any other way.

allows me to ride in all weather without worrying my brake wont hold.

downside is contamination.

upside you dont have to buy pads every other month....

they are shite on stocks though...

you have endless tools and bike skills, you are clearly an exception

your must be set up very shitly then

Lol.

I said vee front maggy rear. to be honest maggys piss me off, mine breaks alot and needs setting up/bleeding/new pads but I just like the feel of it. same with vee, if anything i prefer my vee to my maggy....

Having run a disk on the front, they are indeed beast brakes BUT Im not a fan of the feel of them..

• 2 weeks later...

Are disks hard to set up? Would love to go double disk on my new bike will deffinatly get a bb7 on the front, and maybe a 160mm hope on the back, maybe a magura disk not sure really.

and how easy are they to contaminate and howd you prevent it?

Are disks hard to set up? Would love to go double disk on my new bike will deffinatly get a bb7 on the front, and maybe a 160mm hope on the back, maybe a magura disk not sure really.

and how easy are they to contaminate and howd you prevent it?

Dont know about the avids but hopes are very easy to set assuming you have sufficient shims and your disk mounts arent twisted/warped; I believe the avids are easier to get the caliper central to the disk?

The only time Ive had any problems with pad contamination is when a caliper has either leaked or some spilled oil from bleeding hasnt been cleaned up. Generally you can just burn the pads to get the oil out and clean the disk with thinners or alcohol, rebed it and its back to normal :)

I dislike discs for trials, one as you can catch them but two because the rear never has the same hold as a maggie. I also think that you don't get the same feel from the brakes and I like the feedback you get from rim brakes.

Front bb7 rear ultimate, getting on with the ultimate very well. So properbly stick with that for a while. Ordered a iso king shell, so ill give duel bb7 a go, but love rear vee. Would go front vee but to many people seem to kill there forks with rim brakes :(

If i had the money i would also try duel hope tarty sl brakes :P Just for the ''pimpness''

Considering going Dual Disc on my Ciguena, as JonMack once pointed out the hs33 mounts on them are dodgy, and lo and behold they are.

For example, the left brake pad always ends up pointing diagonally, even if I set it not to. Also, it's taken to having the brake pad stick to the rim sometimes when all there is is a grind. (no tar)

:huh:

What disc brake would people reccomend for the rear brake? Hope M4? I'm not arsed about weight much, more about power. Also, what rotor size would be best?

Edited by Revolver

a decent disk will ALWAYS be better than a maggie,

the only disadvantage is its a touch heavier,

i think everyone seems to bum maggies all over because hermance runs that setup, but hes going for as light as possible, so really if weights not a massive issue then disk wins if you can afford

Considering going Dual Disc on my Ciguena, as JonMack once pointed out the hs33 mounts on them are dodgy, and lo and behold they are.

For example, the left brake pad always ends up pointing diagonally, even if I set it not to. Also, it's taken to having the brake pad stick to the rim sometimes when all there is is a grind. (no tar)

:huh:

What disc brake would people reccomend for the rear brake? Hope M4? I'm not arsed about weight much, more about power. Also, what rotor size would be best?

Hope Mono Trial, every time. 180mm I reckon for your 24"

Hope Mono Trial, every time. 180mm I reckon for your 24"

No problems yet Jon? :-

Mine have been on for 4 months now with no trouble at all, and the set before that was 5 months and still going strong I believe, I rebuilt them both because the lever reach adjusters were fecked when I bought them, but other than that they were never bled.

I used to to run double magura. Bummed over it, they're quality, but yeah loud as fook.

Then went front bb7 and its a totally different feel, to be honest I did like the magura more, but meh I'm liking thee disk now.

And now I'm running a vee on the back :/ and I dont know what to think, I don't really trust it yet but I hope i will do.