Why Inches?

PaRtZ

Sounds simply thrilling!

Actually it was quite interesting. Traveling around alot measuring the earth using trigonometry... However the book was more of a novel portraying the quest more than the specifics of triginometry... Thankfully. :P

T33zr: Not even sure that the inches we used here in Scandinavia are the same as the imperial inches though. :P "Aln, famn, tum, fot..." Everything relating to bodyparts, quite difficult when people tend to differ in size. :)

Read somewhere that in order to find some sort of standard you would measure the king and use the dimensions of his bodyparts. Messed things up when a new king came though... :P

ve been brought up with metric, so I'm gonna stay with METRIC

223 CM sidehop that sounds much better

That's, like, 7ft?

I normally measure where it comes up on my body/ bike, then if i can really be arsed, measure how high that is when i get back.

Our measurements are just "special".

I always thought it was just because it seemed easier. you can compare it to your wheels. and also, when taking off a a slightly unlevel surface, its easy to get a measurement thats one or the other with inches. so theres less argument over it. (say we used centrimetes, and someone was taking off an angled surface, landing to a flat one, itd be 33" in one place, and 34" 1 foot further down the slope. fairly easy to measure. but doing it with cm, every 3 or so inches, itd go from being 85cm, to 85.8cm (or 86 cm as itd be commonly rounded up to.) and youd get people bitching about cm's on side hops.

and theres not much difference between a 118 and a 119 cm, i.e its the tread on your tyres, whereas to move up an inch, is a noticeable difference.