32" Monitor

anzo

Just question...

Does anyone on here run a 32" LCD TV as a monitor? Just about to order one to run as a TV and monitor combined although I'm a little concerned on how it will look from a PC.

I was planning on split screening with 2 monitors, but dont like the idea of a big gap down the middle. What are they like to use as a constant internet use and monitor aswell as the occasional high demand game?

I'll be upgrading my entire PC very soon so it the graphics won't be an issue.

Any photos of workstations with 32"ish monitors would also be helpful.

My friend used to run a 25" HDTV as a monitor. It was horrible, all the icons were so big and the res was so horrible.

It wasn't such a problem for him as he also had a 24" Samsung monitor for usual computing duties, so if you dont plan to have a decent regular monitor, I'd recommend just buying a bigger monitor, 24" being a brilliant size for most.

However, if you played video on it, you would be able to see where they money went, phenomenal quality.

Ivw hooked my pc upto my 32" before when my old monitor broke, even tried the split screen function too which was pretty unusable and v annoying.

To be honest i thought it was way too big, the resolution and icons were fine though, and still sometimes link it up to watch films on my pc i dont have on DVD etc.

The problem with using TV screens as monitors is that as Bender said, the resolution sucks pretty much. Unless you get an HD 1080 screen or something, you'd be better off buying a decent size LCD monitor, 24" + would be nice, or if you really want 30", then get an Apple or Dell 30", pricey but f**k me are they nice.

It depends also on how far you sit from it - standard res 42" screens look gash unless you sit 9 foot away.

So yeah, a 32" slightly less than HD res would look ok, but you'd not want it sat on the desk, you'd want it about 4 or 5 foot away for best quality.

Hmmm, all good points, thanks.

I've decided that I'll have the monitor wall mounted and stick with my current 20" monitor. However, I want to be able to switch between the two monitors. The 20" being my primary and 32" being secondary (for films, games, general TV).

We have a switch on the servers that allows us to view 4 servers on one monitor...most I can find seem to be like this, multiple computers to one monitor. Can you get one for two monitors and one PC?

I think if you want a TV that works for a monitor, it can't be too big, and you need to look at the max resolution it can run through the PC input.

I was planning on doing this so I have one less screen on my desk.

Edited by Revolver

We have a switch on the servers that allows us to view 4 servers on one monitor...most I can find seem to be like this, multiple computers to one monitor. Can you get one for two monitors and one PC?

Thats a KVM switch. For dual screen you will need a gfx card with two outputs, almost all of them do now even the cheap ones so if you have a reasonably modern PC check if you already have two outputs before you buy any hardware. Then once you have it all set up use Ultramon to enable/disable the secondry screen, or leave it enabled and use Ultramon to lock the mouse to the primary monitor.

I have tried pretty much every combination of screens and am currently running a 32" TV as the secondary. As everyone else said it is fine for TV etc, but you wouldn't want to use it as a monitor for day to day tasks, or to sit too close to it. For games it is a bit hit and miss as some games are funny about using the secondary screen and try to defualt to the primary, but generally there is some kind of work around.

I know you said you've decided already - but just so you know...

I've got a pair of 22" widescreens.

One's a monitor, and one's a monitorTV.

The TV is HD ready - and has 6 inputs.

I can change from N64, to Playstation, to TV, to a secondary monitor at the flick of a switch. And I've still got two spair.