Stood On A Nail - Should I Be Worried?

Rebelistic

Last night I stood on a nail in a peice of wood. It didn't go very deep into my foot and afterwards I squeezed it to get it to bleed (thinking that if there is any crap in there it should bleed out), cleaned it and put some savalon on it.

Today there is a little discomfort when I walk on it but it doesn't really hurt much.

I've heard of people getting tetanus(sp?) jabs for nails in feet but I havn't done (thinking mine is very minor). The nail only went into the fleshy part of my foot, not deep.

What do you think - Am I ok to just leave it and keep an eye on it?

Or is it essential to get a tetanus jab?

If I had just cut myself while riding (eg. shin dig) I'd probably think nothing of it.

Cheers,

John.

Yeah, it doesn't really matter how much it went in, if it did go in and it was a rusty nail from some dirty location i'd probably go see your GP. If it was a clean nail that you left on your kitchen floor or something i wouldn't bother with anything except maybe a plaster if its still bleeding in your socks/shoes.

Thanks,

It wasn't a clean nail.

I'd probably best go see the doc then. Dammit.

Is there a time frame that you need to get the tetanus jab within? (It happened last night).

I'll try and get down this evening but I may have to make an appointment - I could always go to A&E but would probably have to wait hours.

Thanks again!

When i was six i stood on a 4 inch nail and it went right thro my foot! Narrowly missed all the bones though so all they had to give me was plasters and a couple of injections so my mum said haha. i reackon you should be ok but go check it out incase (Y)

When i was six i stood on a 4 inch nail and it went right thro my foot! Narrowly missed all the bones though so all they had to give me was plasters and a couple of injections so my mum said haha. i reackon you should be ok but go check it out incase (Y)

Even a small cut from a dirty nail can give you tetanus though, also can cause other infections too. Best to get it checked out mate, not worth risking it really.

Thanks again guys!

I've just been speaking to my dad who recons I had a tetanus booster 7 years ago when I cut my fingers in a food blender (as you do). So I should be ok - I might go in to the walkin centre tomorrow morning (early while its quiet) just incase.

I've read that the incubation period for tetanus is an average of 8 days (depending on how far from the main circulatory system it is so for a foot it's probably a bit longer) so there's no mad rush. The main symtoms are jaw lock and back ache.

F*ckin hate nails - I'm usually so careful too.

Cheers.

Go down to A&E because my dad got a massive splinter in his hand and did that. The docters will look at it for you.

Are you kidding?! It's people who go in with stupid shit like that, that keeps people with an actual injury waiting for so bloody long!!! A doctor would do just fine methinks.

I went to the walkin centre and got it checked. The nurse said that I didn't need another jab and I should just keep an eye on it.

Still best to be on the safe side and get these things checked though I suppose.

Thanks for the advice (Y)

Edited by Rebelistic