Pc Tech Support

Dr. Nick Riviera

Try going into the BIOS and looking for some kind of fan speed control. My motherboard adjusts the fan speed in relation to the CPU temperature. :)

Might only be for PWM fans though.

The only other way of quietening it would be a manual controller, or replacing the CPU fan and heatsink if needed.

Try going into the BIOS and looking for some kind of fan speed control. My motherboard adjusts the fan speed in relation to the CPU temperature. :)

Might only be for PWM fans though.

The only other way of quietening it would be a manual controller, or replacing the CPU fan and heatsink if needed.

bWFpbmltYWdlcy9GQU4tWkFMLUNOUFM5NzBMLmpwZw==.jpg

That's the cpu cooler ive got and it's just ridiculously noisy considering the CPU is only 32'C. My computer seriously sounds like a helicopter.

So basically there is no program that'll do the job. No computer programmers filled this niche?

Haha, I have one of those fans next to me, they're stupidly loud and collect dust way too easily.

I've just built my brother's computer up with it and have exactly the same problem, I can't find a way of controlling it on the fly. What is needed is a PWM fan I think to scale the speed with temperature, but these only use the standard 3 pin. I have used one of those controllers I posted with it, and it does make a big difference, but in that system the loudest thing is the PSU.

I have one of these with the stock fan in my system, it works brilliantly with my motherboard because the fan speed scales between 900 and 2000rpm depending on the temp of the CPU.

If it were me I'd replace it with a PWM fan and cooler, but it might be worth trying one of those controllers. I have 3 in my system, one on each of the case fans, and they work really well.

If you decided to replace the cooler, make sure you check the height of it, the Fenrir I have got is over 150mm tall, and some cases won't be able to fit it in.

Edited by Muel

My 2nd monitor is being a jeb end, when I 1st got it plugged it into the usb and it just started working really well. Downloaded windows 7 and it wouldnt work, so went back to xp and now its saying that the OEM drivers arn't downloaded... wasted a load of time on it before i saw that someone had re kindled this thread so thought i would try to be imformative as possible. I know you cant post cracks to driver update programmes, found "driver genius" which found my "display link" but wanted 30 dollars to download the full version. Any help?

Edited by Simpson

Haha, I have one of those fans next to me, they're stupidly loud and collect dust way too easily.

I've just built my brother's computer up with it and have exactly the same problem, I can't find a way of controlling it on the fly. What is needed is a PWM fan I think to scale the speed with temperature, but these only use the standard 3 pin. I have used one of those controllers I posted with it, and it does make a big difference, but in that system the loudest thing is the PSU.

I have one of these with the stock fan in my system, it works brilliantly with my motherboard because the fan speed scales between 900 and 2000rpm depending on the temp of the CPU.

If it were me I'd replace it with a PWM fan and cooler, but it might be worth trying one of those controllers. I have 3 in my system, one on each of the case fans, and they work really well.

If you decided to replace the cooler, make sure you check the height of it, the Fenrir I have got is over 150mm tall, and some cases won't be able to fit it in.

Problem sorted, forgot I had this fan controller:

hardcano12_v.jpg

Room sound levels dropped from 55 dBa to 41 dBa, can sleep now :)

Problem sorted, forgot I had this fan controller:

hardcano12_v.jpg

Room sound levels dropped from 55 dBa to 41 dBa, can sleep now :)

If you post https:// photos they often don't embed properly. :P

glad you got it sorted, how did you measure the dBa though? Got an app for that?

My 2nd monitor is being a jeb end, when I 1st got it plugged it into the usb and it just started working really well. Downloaded windows 7 and it wouldnt work, so went back to xp and now its saying that the OEM drivers arn't downloaded... wasted a load of time on it before i saw that someone had re kindled this thread so thought i would try to be imformative as possible. I know you cant post cracks to driver update programmes, found "driver genius" which found my "display link" but wanted 30 dollars to download the full version. Any help?

Don't download any of those Driver Scanner programmes, complete waste of money and I can be pretty sure it won't solve your problem.

First thing I'd check is the drivers that are missing or not correctly installed - it might be that you've saved your drivers for Windows 7 and trying to run them through XP and thus not working.

Go to Start > Control Panel > System > Device Manager and look through the list for any yellow '?'

If you purchased your computer 'ready made' go to the manufactures website and download the appropriate drivers for the hardware with an issue - if there are no obvious problems in Device Manager I'd uninstall the video drivers completely (right click in Device Manager and 'Uninstall') and download fresh, latest drivers for Windows XP, reinstall and try again.

Since my last fresh install of W7, I am getting completely random freezes. Ones that completely stop my PC. But strangely if there's music playing in the background it carries on playing fine and even goes to the next song, I just cant click anything, cursor moves, keyboard dies, screen freezes, ctrl alt del doesn't work and I am forced to press the reset button.

All drivers are up to date and nothing has changed from before the last install, the same software, same hardware.

Why?

Sounds like a program being dogdey to me, but you'll have to run all the normal tests anyway.

Check for constantly running processes, anything that can be uninstalled, get rid one by one and see if the issues dissapears.

If this doesn't solve it, try reinstalling Windows again.

Sounds like a program being dogdey to me, but you'll have to run all the normal tests anyway.

Check for constantly running processes, anything that can be uninstalled, get rid one by one and see if the issues dissapears.

Agreed. But on top of this I'd check the Event Viewer for any error logs.

Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer.

Check the 'Application' heading and look out for anything serious. There might be a lot of errors in there, a lot of them can be ignored - usually they're made if a service is unable to start, I'd look for anything that says 'Application Hang' which means a certain program has locked up and most likely will be causing this issue.

In the log description it may say something like xxxx.exe, if it isn't obvious what the program is, do a search.

Windows 7 not booting up at all even from a CD.....

I got a virus that required a reinstall because it had put administrator restrictions on literally everything. Anyways, I had windows 7 on it, and wanted to put XP on it because 7 and Vista are shit (and apparently on the bios if you change the SATA settings from disabled to ATA you can put XP on a machine that was preinstalled with vista or xp).

It said it may cause the computer to not boot and may require a reinstall....

So i apply the changes and it doesnt start at all. It doesnt boot from the cd at all anymore (even though its got boot from cd on the boot sequence) The windows 7 startup repair does nothing, and it just says boot sequence doesnt work or something along those line, F2 to retry.

How can i get it working again, i've backed my stuff up so it doesnt matter but

i cant get it to even boot from the cd!!!

Will i need to take the HD out and format it? Or is it a bios problem??

thanks

wanted to put XP on it because 7 and Vista are shit

:lol:

I've been building computers for 8 years, W7 is by far my favourite OS. It's better than XP in almost every way from what I've seen.

Vista however, I hate.

In response to your problem though, it should always boot from the CD, but it could be that the CD checks the hard drive first to see what OS it has installed, so that it can offer you the Upgrade option if it can. I'd try and boot Ubuntu from a live CD personally, and if that works then format the HDD with it.

Agreed. But on top of this I'd check the Event Viewer for any error logs.

Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer.

Check the 'Application' heading and look out for anything serious. There might be a lot of errors in there, a lot of them can be ignored - usually they're made if a service is unable to start, I'd look for anything that says 'Application Hang' which means a certain program has locked up and most likely will be causing this issue.

In the log description it may say something like xxxx.exe, if it isn't obvious what the program is, do a search.

I'm now sure it's to do with the audio. I just had another BSOD and I was running nothing but WMP. What's causing it I don't know. Nothing has changed from my last installation of W7, everything is the same...

Go to start, search for device manager. Check there is only 1 sound driver installed, if there are any others installed, try disabling them one by one and find the one that works, then update that one with the latest driver for that board/sound card.

I had trouble with the ATI graphics card drivers with their built in HDMI sound driver causing crashes, I never install it now.

Go to start, search for device manager. Check there is only 1 sound driver installed, if there are any others installed, try disabling them one by one and find the one that works, then update that one with the latest driver for that board/sound card.

I had trouble with the ATI graphics card drivers with their built in HDMI sound driver causing crashes, I never install it now.

I've got SRS audio sandbox installed. The last version kept crashing the audio and I had to do a restart but since I've updated to the newer version, during my last install of W7 nothing crashed, no BSODs. But this install of W7, the audio doesn't crash, just BSODs straight away and the computer restarts itself. It's completely random, I can play music for hours and hours and nothing would happen but then this morning it BSODed within 30mins.

I had those symptoms but it was down to the software for my keyboard. They've released 2 new versions since, installed them both and the symptoms return. I'm happy to make do without them to be honest...

Help needed asap!

I move into halls today, the internet is all wireless, I have a Belkin F5D7000 wireless card. I've stuck it in my desktop, downloaded the lastest driver but it won't go. I then followed this video:

With no luck, any advice?

Nice bit of copy paste.

Device Manager, Right click, -> Update driver -> Browse -> Let Me Pick -> Network Adaptors -> RaLink Technology INC. (last one) -> then look for RT2500.

Apparently Win 7 has the driver for the RT2500 (Its the chipset that the bekin uses) but it doesn't recognise it.

Edited by ZeroMatt

Tried that, it's for the wrong version! Mine is the V7, so uses a different chipset.

I found the correct driver for Vista 64bit, but it didn't work. More searching required. I'll get on sevenforums later and ask there.

Time to continue packing. :P

Ok here goes.

I'm not a complete novice with this whole PC world but i'm stuck with this one.

I recently got a virus called "Security Suite." It installs itself on your computer and appears as antivirus software, wont let you open anything, claims everything is a virus and links you to a payment website constantly.

This i managed to get rid off, but now my computer without warning or reason will freeze, not compltely, i can minimize/ maximize programmes, although i can't open new programmes or task manager.

The PC also wont let me run the check disk utility.

Nothing else seems effected, i've run several spyware checks and looked manually through my registry, used Eusing and CCleaner but to no result.

Also my recovery drive is now mysteriously empty, which i feel may be the cause in some way.