Pc Tech Support

Dr. Nick Riviera

When it feels like it, my PC decides to just keep restarting itself instead of actually booting up. I turn it on, it fired up, fan kicks in, then goes off as normal, just as the manufacturer screen goes it starts over again!

I unplug it, try again. Fires up, fan kicks in, won't switch off. Unplug it, try again, then it's fine!

Does it say, once a week? But I have no idea why! Took the case apart and gave it a good clean inside, all dust free etc, but it still does it.

Any ideas?

How far are you getting on the start up? Making it to the POST screen, Windows loading screen? I had a PC that did this before, although it was the second you press the power button the fans start and literally a second later it would restart - it never even made a display on the monitor). I got it down to a dodgy earth from the PSU.

Check the earth from the PSU and motherboard! Also check condition of motherboard components and capacitors (any burns/black carbon, buldging/swelling, leaking)!

Try running the system on bare minimum spec - remove anything thats not completely necessary.

Try running on board graphics and remove the card, if you're using multiple RAM remove as much as possible, disconnect fans (EXCEPT CPU!) just ones if you have them on a case, disconnect any LEDS and non-required drives (DVD, Floppy) and then try again.

If it runs ok, then gradually add more components (most vital to least vital) and note when the system fails again - then you have found the problem. Rather lengthy and annoying process, but its the best way.

Selling my tower (locally as I cant be arsed to post) no idea how much it's worth this day and age.

Asus P4P800 SE Mb

1gb Dual Channel DDR Ram

160gb IDE HDD

Leadtek Geforce 7600GT GC (256mb) DVi + VGA

Pentium 4 3.0ghz

DVD RW Drive

Fresh Install of XP Home (with COA)

Cheapo $20 case from Ebuyer

Any ideas what I should charge?

You could be simply overloading your connection...

We have all sorts of stuff going on numerous computers. Internet phones, torrent programes, x box live.

Here's the log from the modem, all this happend over a few days:

Tue Jan 20 10:23:46 2009 Tue Jan 20 10:23:46 2009 1 Warning (5) 66060510 Map Reject - Downstream Traffic Flow Not Mapped to BPI+ SAID ...

Time Not Established Time Not Established 2 Critical (3) 68000300 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

Time Not Established Time Not Established 1 Critical (3) 82000400 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...

Time Not Established Time Not Established 1 Critical (3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Time Not Established Time Not Established 2 Critical (3) 68000300 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

Time Not Established Time Not Established 4 Critical (3) 68000100 DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received

Time Not Established Time Not Established 1 Critical (3) 82000400 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...

Time Not Established Time Not Established 1 Critical (3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Time Not Established Time Not Established 1 Critical (3) 68000300 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

Time Not Established Time Not Established 16 Critical (3) 82000500 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...

Time Not Established Time Not Established 3 Critical (3) 68000300 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

Time Not Established Time Not Established 2 Critical (3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Time Not Established Time Not Established 16 Critical (3) 82000500 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...

Time Not Established Time Not Established 1 Critical (3) 68000300 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

Don't like the word critical!

We've used 4 routers to date and they all do different things. Linksys would be fine and then the internet connection would drop down, it would still work, but slow with a 1.5 second ping.

Netgear looses internet conection, and sometimes all the wireless comps get disconected from the router.

The belkin was good apart from the internet phones not working well and nothing with java would work for more than 2 mins.

The wired linksys was the only one that worked but we need wireless.

I tried taking all the network card down to 10mb, that didn't work.

It makes me think it's got something to do with the modem as that's the only thing i think it could be.

Don't like the word critical!

Sometimes its not as major as it sounds, they simply record everything thats happening within the network. Servers at work are full of errors and warnings on logs - but most of it can be ignored (not saying that this isn't a problem; but it could be something as little as something timing out from an unexpected shutdown or the like).

Do you have a sync light on your modem? Also, can you post up the signal levels from your modem?

Edited by Baby Pizzle

Probs be lucky to get like £60 :(

I put the same graphics card as that on ebay just before christmas and expecting something like £35 i went to work and came back to find some idiot had bought it for £75 and paid through paypal for it. Deal went fine and he left good feedback a little while later. To say i was shocked was a bit of an understatement :lol:

Sometimes its not as major as it sounds, they simply record everything thats happening within the network. Servers at work are full of errors and warnings on logs - but most of it can be ignored (not saying that this isn't a problem; but it could be something as little as something timing out from an unexpected shutdown or the like).

Do you have a sync light on your modem? Also, can you post up the signal levels from your modem?

Info

status

downstream

upstream

upstream burst

operation configuration

event log

..are what's on the router page when i log in, let me know which want you want and i'll paste it up. (Y)

Downstream Lock : Locked

Downstream Channel Id : 2

Downstream Frequency :

Downstream Modulation : QAM256

Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360537

Downstream Interleave Depth : 32

Downstream Receive Power Level : -8.9 dBmV

Downstream SNR : 34.8 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked

Upstream Channel ID : 3

Upstream Frequency :

Upstream Modulation : QAM16

Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec

Upstream transmit Power Level : 50.3 dBmV

Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

:)

Monitor these JT, try and take them again when your modem goes down the pan - all the rates are looking 'below average' although only one bit looks a little off to me and thats the downsteam RP (but varies on your modem, but looks a little wank at the moment). The downstream NSR should be better, 30dB is the minimum for any decent use, so this needs uping.

These stats vary from ISP to ISP, so you'll be better off to give them a call and discuss it with them - most probably it'll be a faulty line and they'll get someone to look at it.

However, if you can get the stats again when your line goes shit, that may help to find whats happening. Also, look on your modem for a sync light, if this is flickering or cutting off when your line goes down, you'll need to ring your ISP, they're the only ones who can sort it.

Edited by Baby Pizzle

My computer stopped working earlier so i restored it and now i have lost ALL of my files, pictures, music, work, everything!

Is there any way at all that i could get it back?

Im so pissed off, any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Found them thank god! They were under the other user in documents and setting

Just seems to be the programmes that arn't working like word etc. Is there anyway to get those back?

Edited by kells

Having a bit of a problem with the home network. Atm, we have two routers, one bt homehub and one Netgear DG something or other, which we alternate. We have to alternate them because the laptops down stairs seem to keep getting DC, but i know its not the router because my xbox, which is wired, never DC's. The only thing i can think of is the wireless signal (11 ATM) but i've used NetworkStumbler, which has found nothing in the area using the same channel. Also, an another reason we alternate hubs is because with the homehub, my brother gets very bad lag(On his Xbox which uses the wireless adaptor), but I don't for some reason, does anyone know why this is?

Thanks Joe

Edit: BTW, the xbox which is wireless has the correct ports opened of both routers. I've also tried DMZ, which shows no avail.

Edited by JoeM

Having a bit of a problem with the home network. Atm, we have two routers, one bt homehub and one Netgear DG something or other, which we alternate. We have to alternate them because the laptops down stairs seem to keep getting DC, but i know its not the router because my xbox, which is wired, never DC's. The only thing i can think of is the wireless signal (11 ATM) but i've used NetworkStumbler, which has found nothing in the area using the same channel. Also, an another reason we alternate hubs is because with the homehub, my brother gets very bad lag(On his Xbox which uses the wireless adaptor), but I don't for some reason, does anyone know why this is?

Thanks Joe

Edit: BTW, the xbox which is wireless has the correct ports opened of both routers. I've also tried DMZ, which shows no avail.

What is your connection speed? And are both routers fully Universal Plug and Plug compatible?

Edited by Baby Pizzle

OK i'll keep an eye on the sync light, and try get readings next time it goes tits up.

(Y)

Sync light was fine las time it went all to f**k. Didn't get into the modem on time though.

I'm starting to think it might not be the modem again. :ermm:

I wouldn't say its the modem, more like a problem with your ISP. If you call them and explain your situation, give them your stats and they'll make a recommendation (suggest that you want an engineers visit!).

Usually if you request an engineers visit, they'll charge you for the call out if nothing is wrong, however its free if they find the problem. It is also free if the ISP feels the need to have an engineer called to inspect the line...if the guy on the phone can't help then I'd recommend requesting the engineer, otherwise you're paying for a connection you're not getting :)